(Rumor) PS5 Slim is Releasing in 2023

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
ps5-slim-2023.jpg

A new report from TheLeak.co has suggested that a new PlayStation 5 Slim (PS5) is set to release in 2023.

As previously reported, Insider Gaming believes this PlayStation 5 is the detachable disc drive version of the console.

As TheLeak reports, the goal for Sony is to reduce the weight and size of the console; which is something the company has actively been trying to do by reducing the weight of the console with its B and C chassis.

It’s understood that the new console, internally referred to as the D chassis, will not necessarily be branded as a slim version. In fact, this new console is set to replace the old PlayStation 5 entirely as previously reported.

Insider Gaming has seen internal documentation that suggests the old PlayStation 5 console will cease production in October FY23, with the last units hitting shelves in November FY23.

The new console, the D chassis starts production in April FY23 and hits shelves in September FY23.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
What's the track record of this web site?

I'd love a slim model... I have 2 PS5's, but that's 1 for me 1 for my wife in our living room / attached office gaming emporium.

Need one for the bedroom, one for the workout room and one for the billiards room.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yup, it's essential for them to get the overall box size down along with the weight.

If you look at Switch boxes, they can fit 4-5 Switches in the space of one PS5 cardboard box.... that makes it really inefficient for logistics.

If this version looks very sleek and sexy, I am definitely in to get one. Would love something similar to the PS4 Slim with a sexier material finish. But I understand they have to make it as reasonably priced as possible...so nicer plastics might not be possible this time.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I still have my doubts they'll ditch the weird fin design, but that may depend on how well the bolt-on colors are selling.

Hopefully that was a huge flop for Sony, and they come to their senses and create a design that doesn't look ridiculous and you can just, you know.. put it on a table without having to do a balancing act with a shitty stand deal.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
It's amazing to me that there will be a hardware revision released before I purchased a single built from ground up PS5 only game

• haha
Reactions: Deleted member 13
24 Jun 2022
Yup, it's essential for them to get the overall box size down along with the weight.

If you look at Switch boxes, they can fit 4-5 Switches in the space of one PS5 cardboard box.... that makes it really inefficient for logistics.

If this version looks very sleek and sexy, I am definitely in to get one. Would love something similar to the PS4 Slim with a sexier material finish. But I understand they have to make it as reasonably priced as possible...so nicer plastics might not be possible this time.

I mean that's really why they'd even be doing this: simplify the logistics, make shipping & distribution more affordable, lower BOM production costs per unit.

Whether that comes with a price cut in territories that saw a price increase on the current models remains to be seen, but I could see them lowering the price back to the original MSRP there even if global currencies are still kind of screwed up. Just depends on what their margins for the new systems would be.

Most interested in how the detachable disc drive will work (outside of the basics), and how it'll look. If they really wanted, they could use that bay for hardware expansions, eGPU-style, depending on the bandwidth of the USB port (it should be Type-C regardless). That could make a theoretical "Pro" solution more affordable to produce and simplify console production logistics (don't have to worry so much on base/Pro model splits), although I'm not sure if they could have the PS5 GPU do its own processing and pass that through to combine with processing on an attachment that then mixed the signals out to a display.

It would be cool to see, though. Like how the MegaDrive/Mega CD/32X used to work back in that generation, only you won't need three separate power adapters and tons of cables and it won't look like a monstrosity (and, I'm assuming, would work much better in practice).

• brain

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
While Slim is cool I'm keen on a Pro system. Hopefully in a few more years where they can legitimately 4k native and 60-120 FPS next gen only games

Reactions: Kokoloko

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
While Slim is cool I'm keen on a Pro system. Hopefully in a few more years where they can legitimately 4k native and 60-120 FPS next gen only games
A slim is coming, A pro is coming too. Too many rumors to deny their existence at this point.

And I cannot wait, hardware is always exciting to me and I really think they should lean into the Pro model and give gamers something that is really impressive both in terms of performance and design.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Refrain from using offensive slurs
And I cannot wait, hardware is always exciting to me and I really think they should lean into the Pro model and give gamers something that is really impressive both in terms of performance and design.
Red Gaming Tech is already making the rumor mill, even Foxy Games, even though the latter is a bit of a salty word removed most times. He takes things, like leaks, disagreements etc too personal. Yet I will say. I can only conclude from my own research and knowledge of tech that a PRO would undertake a chiplet design just like RDNA 3. Main chip or Dual GDC at 4nm with 4 MDC's all tied into the SSD layer. Of course improvements to the geometry engine, raytracing and more memory bandwidth is a given. Increased CPU clocks is a given too. I think FSR 3.0 or higher will be a lock for PS5 PRO, since Sony will tout 8k just like they did for PS4 PRO, but this time it will be more common due to the vast improvements in Image reconstruction tech going forward. Even FSR 2.2 is improving IQ with less ghosting and artifacts seen with FSR 2.0, should be evident in Forza Horizon 5's update in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
24 Jun 2022

A slim is coming, A pro is coming too. Too many rumors to deny their existence at this point.

I used to think a Pro model for either system was going to likely not be possible, due to increased associated costs with a larger GPU and smaller nodes, but with the way RDNA 3 is set up (and the possibility RDNA 4 pushes even further with chiplets and packaging innovations), plus the price point of 7900 XT, maybe Pro models could have a more realistic chance of happen.

They wouldn't need any more than 20 - 24 TF, and since they're using dual-issue shaders (I'm not 100% sure in what way they're doing it, I've only been able to reference an Nvidia paper for a GT200 (2000?) from 2008 talking about that GPU's "dual issue" design to try getting an understanding), they're getting more per stream processor without needing to double the count in the CUs. That's why shader core counts didn't increase very much with RDNA 3 but TF performance is almost 3x over RDNA 2.

So all a PS5 Pro or Series X Pro would need is the same sized GPU shader count-wise, throw in dual-issue design, and immediate doubling of TF at the same base clocks. That could be affordable even on 6nm for them, let alone 5nm. That would free up more BOM budget for MCDs (probably 4 MCDs each but cutting down the amount of cache and keeping them 0-Hi) and faster RAM (16 - 18 Gbps chips for Sony, probably 20 - 22 Gbps chips for Microsoft). The CPUs would probably stay the same though just faster clocked to ensure the GPUs can stay fed with draw lists data.

• brain
D

Deleted member 13

I love how you talk about Sony like you work for them. :LOL:

Even if there is a PRO model, I very seriously doubt it's going to be a whole new generation of hardware like you are proposing. If that is a reality then going forward we may all assume that consoles upgrade a generation every 3yrs instead of every 6yrs. All those hardware addons you mentioned makes the regular PS5 look like a last gen box.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
IMO a pro model won't fundamentally change the CPU. Games are not CPU limited, they're GPU and bandwidth limited. They can release something with 2x the terroflops / CU's and more bandwidth and call it a day, just keep everything else the same.

D

Deleted member 13

IMO a pro model won't fundamentally change the CPU. Games are not CPU limited, they're GPU and bandwidth limited. They can release something with 2x the terroflops / CU's and more bandwidth and call it a day, just keep everything else the same.
Right. Not an entirely new architecture design like chiplets.