So is Playstation and Sega’s exclusive games relationship over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sonic games haven’t been good in like two decades

No but Persona, Catherine and Yakuza games have been.. Atlus is up there or better than any other JRPG studio out there.
And the Yakuza team is as good as any Japanese developer not called FromSoftware or Kojima.

Plus Sonic is a huge franchise outside of the games too

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
No but Persona, Catherine and Yakuza games have been.. Atlus is up there or better than any other JRPG studio out there.
And the Yakuza team is as good as any Japanese developer not called FromSoftware or Kojima.

Plus Sonic is a huge franchise outside of the games too

Persona is…atlus is as inconsistent as Platinum with their other JPRG efforts

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
Sonic games haven’t been good in like two decades
1 decade. And every other piece of media excluding the games have recently been huge successes. The ip is valuable even if it has fallen off
Shin megami tensei is arguably better than persona in the gameplay department, and they just released soul hackers 2 which was considered good.

They also have a massive rhythm game division with maimai and project Sakai being very well known and liked in Japan, they have puyo puyo, streets of rage is now back in action, they make hatsune miku games, etc etc etc. It's like you look at Sonic and literally nothing else. Weakest link my ass

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sega owns Atlus outright I believe. Like how Playstation owns Naughty Dog, so they are a Sega studio.

Id say the Persona is up there with JRPG’s like FF and DQ when it comes to gameplay quality. Especially the recent installments, outside of FF14/FF7 Remake, Persona and SMT has been way better.

Publishers like Konami and Sega might not be using there classic IP’s well but under other hands they could be effective. Im a big fan of games like MGS, Silent Hill, Castlevania, Jet Set Radio, Virtua Fighter, Panzer Dragoon, Shinning Force etc. I miss smaller titles like these and it has a fanbase, maybe not the size of COD, Animal Crossing or TLOU but I they have fans and the IP’s could always make a comeback

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
????? Does Konami not exist or...???

I mean, Sony should have bought their IP's ages ago due to their cross-media potential alone.

Castlevania, MGS, Silent Hill..... They could even still put the 2D Castlevania games on Switch if they wanted.

I am dying for MGS TBH. The whole military / spy / stealth genre is gone and it is sad.

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I mean, Sony should have bought their IP's ages ago due to their cross-media potential alone.

Castlevania, MGS, Silent Hill..... They could even still put the 2D Castlevania games on Switch if they wanted.

I am dying for MGS TBH. The whole military / spy / stealth genre is gone and it is sad.

Normally Im not one for buying IP and publishers, but with MS doing it with Bethesda and Activision, then Sony would of been smart to acquire something like Konami IP. They could still co multiplat with those games but something like a SOTN sequel or MGS remake would be perfect for Playstation

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
They could still co multiplat with those games but something like a SOTN sequel or MGS remake would be perfect for Playstation
meh maybe not either of those. SOTN already has multiple sequels on the GBA and DS, and MGS had a remake on the gamecube anyways (that wasn't very good either) not to mention that if they do that they're going to have to make remakes for MGS 2 and 3 as well to bring them up to the quality standard, and that's assuming these remakes are as good as the originals (they likely won't be)

TBH without kojima there's never going to be another GOOD mgs game (and Kojima's already expressed not wanting to work on MGS anymore) so they might as well shelve the franchise and bring back other franchises that are easier to make good, like contra and gradius
Also, if Sony bought Konami then they'd basically be forced to port their Rhythm games to home consoles, meaning the first home console releases of DDR and Beatmania IIDX in over a decade (even if they are exclusive). Sign me the fuck up

Reactions: Kokoloko

rac3r

27 Sep 2022
Yea it's definitely over.

It is pretty crazy seeing Yakuza and Persona on Xbox and PC now. Two of my favorite franchises that are/were heavily aligned with Playstation. I'm very curious to see what happens with Persona 6. There was already a rumor a while back about it being a PS5 exclusive.

While I don't think these games will sell well on Xbox (especially due to Game Pass), it's clear Microsoft is willing to shell out the money just to cut into Sony's mindshare when it comes to Japanese games.

It's a dangerous precedent though. Microsoft is essentially paying for ports of Japanese games via Game Pass money. What happens when games like Soul Hackers 2 and Diofield Chronicles don't get a Game Pass release, and end up selling horribly? Devs will just stop porting games to Xbox unless MS pays up again. Sooner or later Microsoft is gonna get tired of paying and just nab an entire publisher instead.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

It is pretty crazy seeing Yakuza and Persona on Xbox and PC now. Two of my favorite franchises that are/were heavily aligned with Playstation. I'm very curious to see what happens with Persona 6. There was already a rumor a while back about it being a PS5 exclusive.

While I don't think these games will sell well on Xbox (especially due to Game Pass), it's clear Microsoft is willing to shell out the money just to cut into Sony's mindshare when it comes to Japanese games.

It's a dangerous precedent though. Microsoft is essentially paying for ports of Japanese games via Game Pass money. What happens when games like Soul Hackers 2 and Diofield Chronicles don't get a Game Pass release, and end up selling horribly? Devs will just stop porting games to Xbox unless MS pays up again. Sooner or later Microsoft is gonna get tired of paying and just nab an entire publisher instead.k
Or alternatively, it starts the end of Microsoft's interest in gamepass and Xbox as a whole. At a certain point, shareholders and others within Microsoft are going to question spending so much money with little to no return. Not to mention going after a third publisher after act/ blizzard is going to probably get their teeth kicked in by regulators. The "we're in last place" excuse won't work forever.

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
meh maybe not either of those. SOTN already has multiple sequels on the GBA and DS, and MGS had a remake on the gamecube anyways (that wasn't very good either) not to mention that if they do that they're going to have to make remakes for MGS 2 and 3 as well to bring them up to the quality standard, and that's assuming these remakes are as good as the originals (they likely won't be)

TBH without kojima there's never going to be another GOOD mgs game (and Kojima's already expressed not wanting to work on MGS anymore) so they might as well shelve the franchise and bring back other franchises that are easier to make good, like contra and gradius
Also, if Sony bought Konami then they'd basically be forced to port their Rhythm games to home consoles, meaning the first home console releases of DDR and Beatmania IIDX in over a decade (even if they are exclusive). Sign me the fuck up

Id still love a proper console sequel to SOTN, I cant remember Alacard being a starting character for the GBA/DS games but Im probably wrong lol.
When it comes to MGS, Id want MGS 1-3 Remake, kinda like how they done RE2, totally next gen compared to before. Twin Snakes was pretty sucky when it comes to alot of it. Wouldn’t really need Kojima either.

Id also love Gradius, Contra, Goemon, Silent Hill. And Rhythm games can make a comeback too

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah this is the reason I think the partnership has changed. MS buying or controling Sega is pretty impactful.

Persona, Yakuza, Disgaa have been great exclusives. Its a shame to lose them. They’ve been a part of Playstation since PS1 days. It would be an ever bigger issue if these games don’t come to PS
With Nagoshi gone, I expect the RGG games to go downhill fast.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
With Nagoshi gone, I expect the RGG games to go downhill fast.
The first game without him is great, and they announced more Yakuza games that look promising. These games are made by hundreds or thousands of people, there won't be a huge change.

I don't know if any of that was based on some deal though.
There's nothing over or any special deal with anyone.

Sega simply said they want to focus less on exclusives and go more for a more global market: releasing in more platforms and releasing worldwide, with a stronger effort in localization (something non-English speakers missed in the west for games like the Yakuza and Persona series). They will also bet more on movies, resurrecting more classic IPs and making AAA 'supergames'. The only reason is that -like any company- they want to make more money and improve their financials, which aren't stellar.

Meaning that future Yakuza, Bayonetta, Persona, etc. titles pretty likely will be multiplatform.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: EDMIX

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Reality is these games were only PS4 exclusive because they were niche back then and wouldn't sell well anywhere else.

It's another case of Playstation's tide raising all boats. these games (Persona, Yakuza) became insanely popular off the back of the PS4's success. Now they're probably just too costly for Sony to lock down.

I imagine all of Sony's exclusivity money is going into FF7R/ FF16. Think about it, those alone are bigger than everything else last gen combined.

A mainline Final Fantasy exclusive, i mean jesus. That must cost more than SF5, or any Persona/yakuza exclusive combined.

Sony's strategy moving forward looks like it's just go for the biggest fish in the pond. And, judging from all the meltdowns over FF7/FF16, looks like its working.

smaller, niche games are breaking through on PS all over again too. Stuff like Stellar Blade and Lost Soul Aside will be the next games all the Xbox/PC guys beg over.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
The first game without him is great, and they announced more Yakuza games that look promising. These games are made by hundreds or thousands of people, there won't be a huge change.

Sega simply said they want to focus less on exclusives and go more for a more global market: releasing in more platforms and releasing worldwide, with a stronger effort in localization (something non-English speakers missed in the west for games like the Yakuza and Persona series). They will also bet more on movies, resurrecting more classic IPs and making AAA 'supergames'. The only reason is that -like any company- they want to make more money and improve their financials, which aren't stellar.

Meaning that future Yakuza, Bayonetta, Persona, etc. titles pretty likely will be multiplatform.
Fine with me. I don’t really care if they aren't exclusive to the ps5. Just as long as they are on ps5, I'm good.

Reactions: KiryuRealty
OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Yakuza and Persona were pretty much Playstation only games, not anymore. Whether there was a deal or not

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yakuza and Persona were pretty much Playstation only games, not anymore. Whether there was a deal or not
Many Sega (including Atlus etc) games had exclusives both full or temporal, on PlayStation, Nintendo, Xbox, arcade and more.

Sega betting more on multiplatform doesn't only means that PS will be the only one to lose exclusives. Sega also had exclusives in other platforms.

Fine with me. I don’t really care if they aren't exclusive to the ps5. Just as long as they are on ps5, I'm good.
Yes, this move means PS may lose exclusive but also means that PS now would get games that previously were exclusive to other platforms, like the recent Bayonetta, Sega Rally or Crazy Taxi games to name a few.

Last edited:
Reactions: EDMIX and Kokoloko

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It’s SEGA. Think of the most self-destructive thing that could do, business-wise, and that’s what they’ll do.

The real head-scratcher is that they have already been massively screwed by Microsoft, and seem to be bending over for that same dick again.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Between Persona going to Xbox and now Capcom putting Monster hunter Rise on Gamepass, I think Sony need to get the Japanese developers bend them over their knee and spank them.

The Japanese developers should be 100% behind the home brand.

I mean, do the government and the companies in general not realize they are handing the industry over to an American company if they keep doing stuff like this? They are undermining their nations position in an important industry.... one rare one where they actually lead for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.