Sonic Frontiers | Review Thread

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You can make a great game from any perspective. I guess you just need the dev talent and vision. Mario 64 was successful after many 2D mario's. It's 2022, Sega should be able to make a competent 3D Sonic at the very least, but maybe Sega isn't as great as they used to be anymore.....

For sure, Id bet someone like Nintedo or Insomniac will make a much better 3D Sonic game than Sonic Team.

Reactions: thelastword

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Maybe Sonic only works in 2D

Sonic has actually always sucked and it's amazing to me that he was ever held in the same regard as Mario. The 2D games feel like playing something on autopilot. Occasionally jump to avoid a thing or make a gap but basically you're pressing go and watching him run the course. Until you are hit and then it's pick up rings time. Rinse, repeat. Yes there is some variance but this is my memory of the bulk of the gameplay. It was kind of visually cool & different from Mario but man Sonic games actually fucking suck.

The only reason Sonic was ever mentioned in the same breath as Mario is marketing and console wars. Mario has so many bangers, what is the best Sonic game????

That said I'm probably going to get this on sale at some point, I'm down for chill open world Sonic exploration.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
For sure, Id bet someone like Nintedo or Insomniac will make a much better 3D Sonic game than Sonic Team.
Yes when you think of it. PS studios are really talented. So Insomniac can make a killer platformer in Ratchet, A stellar fps in Resistance and a world class open world game in Spiderman following up with Wolverine just the same. Sucker Punch from Sly Cooper to Infamous to Ghosts of Tsushima. Naughty from Jak and Daxter to Uncharted to TLOU.......What's unique about all of these devs, they have all developed a successful platformer, followed by successful franchise in other genres. I think they all could make Sonic a world class game in 3D....

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko