Sony decides to buy a western publisher, who should it be & why?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Definitely makes them far more complicated. It's hard to see EA or WB being worth it unless there is a very clever way to work around the issues.
Not entirely related but I wonder if the new UFC/WWE merger is eventually (when contracts run out) lead to one of the two switching licensees. UFC is EA and WWE is, IIRC, T2 currently.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Not entirely related but I wonder if the new UFC/WWE merger is eventually (when contracts run out) lead to one of the two switching licensees. UFC is EA and WWE is, IIRC, T2 currently.

AEW - Yukes
UFC - EA
The Wrestling Code - Virtual Basement
WWE - 2K/Visual Concepts

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Is CDPR a publisher? Ill go with them and Wizards of the Coast/Larian Studios. Small enough to not cause big acquisition issues. Brings in great WRPG potential.

Id rather they go heavy on a Japanese Publisher for the answer to Bethesda purchase.

Or buy percentage of Capcom/Sega/Konami/Square so those games will always be on PS in the future, doesn't have to be a full purchase just enough to ensure we get the games there forever and no MS meddling.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

evilblade

8 May 2023
The only one that makes sense to me is CDPR. They have RPG experience (Sony missing RPG experience), assets (graphic engine) and nice narrative teams. In my head working together along some of the best studios in the planet and sharing knowledge experiences and more assets can potentially result in amazing games. And expensive, but not impossible expensive.

Buying devs or pulishers that already work well and release in your platform as main platform just to ensure anybody else buy it before you it's not a movement I like as a player. It's not giving me anything.

• brain

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
The only one Sony could afford to buy would be Embracer. Sony isn’t buying a company for 25% of their worth… lol.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The only one Sony could afford to buy would be Embracer. Sony isn’t buying a company for 25% of their worth… lol.
There are a shit load of smaller western publishers that OP didn't mention. CDPR, Paradox, Team17, Digital Bros, Focus (formerly Focus Home, for those ??ing right now), Rebellion Developments, Frontier Developments, Nacon, Devolver, Ci Games, Thunderful, Wargaming, Valve, Probably Monsters, Egmont (Nordisk, aka Avalanche Software,) Behavior Interactive, Shift Up, a shiiitload of mobile studios, a shitload of studios that only make and publish one game, etc. And while not huge, its not like they're all small either, at least 6 of those would take at least a billion dollars to acquire.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Wait so you expect Sony to just buy another company after all the show they did by complaining about the deal with Microsoft and Activision? What makes Sony different?

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Wait so you expect Sony to just buy another company after all the show they did by complaining about the deal with Microsoft and Activision? What makes Sony different?

Naa, thread is just a hypothetical.

More or less: pick one of the western publishers or big developers and explain why it would be a good fit for Sony...

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Yeah I was thinking the same. I'd rather the big dogs roam free. New companies or companies with a history of partnerships are different, like Firesprite and Housemarque were with Sony and why Asobo would be a nice addition studio for MS (I don't know why they haven't pulled the trigger). I don't want to cheer games taken off other consoles, I'm okay with Bungie solely on the grounds they are to remain multiplatform, should that change my opinion too will change.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Naa, thread is just a hypothetical.

More or less: pick one of the western publishers or big developers and explain why it would be a good fit for Sony...
It would not be a good fit for anyone, companies need to stop buying other companies in general unless it's absolutely necessary to do so. I think Microsoft and Sony should leave these big companies alone and focus on getting small studios that have talent and want to grow with the help of Sony or Microsoft.

• brain

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Yeah I was thinking the same. I'd rather the big dogs roam free. New companies or companies with a history of partnerships are different, like Firesprite and Housemarque were with Sony and why Asobo would be a nice addition studio for MS (I don't know why they haven't pulled the trigger). I don't want to cheer games taken off other consoles, I'm okay with Bungie solely on the grounds they are to remain multiplatform, should that change my opinion too will change.
I agree, if Microsoft and Sony want to invest in expanding their portfolio then they should focus on getting smaller to mid-size studios, but to go with big companies like EA or Ubisoft and even Activision it's crazy to take away games from others. It's bad enough Microsoft bought Bethesda and left out Playstation and Nintendo. Overall unless the company wants to be bought and they are in dire need to be bought to be saved then I would say go all in.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It would not be a good fit for anyone, companies need to stop buying other companies in general unless it's absolutely necessary to do so. I think Microsoft and Sony should leave these big companies alone and focus on getting small studios that have talent and want to grow with the help of Sony or Microsoft.

Yeah, I agree... except in a case like Konami. Where loads of IP's have been going unused.

Now, if their new projects turn out great, then I fully support them continuing as they are.

But if most of the projects fail to hit the quality bar, I think Sony should try and pick up as many of the IP's as possible.

I'm a bit off topic here, since it's a Japanese publisher but, you get the idea.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Yeah, I agree... except in a case like Konami. Where loads of IP's have been going unused.
I would consider Konami a mid-size studio in my eyes so I would be happy if Sony fully invested in Konami, but if they were as big as EA or Ubisoft I would think differently.

• brain
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I would consider Konami a mid-size studio in my eyes so I would be happy if Sony fully invested in Konami, but if they were as big as EA or Ubisoft I would think differently.

Yep, as I say, it all depends on how the Silent Hill and MGS remakes do...

If they can hit the quality and sales bar, then I don't think Sony have to do anything.

What do you think Sony should do about their lack of WRPG's ? The lack of access for the future...

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
None of them.

In the fictional case that all of them would be open to sell, and to sell to Sony, and that Sony would want to buy pubilshers and would have enough budget to buy any of them, I'd buy before Capcom, From Soft, Square, MiHoyo and Bandai Namo before buying any western publisher.

But if we have to choose one publisher, I'd get Epic. They have Fortnite, Rocket League or Fall Guys. They make a shit ton of money with their games, but all that data and expertise would be also super helpful for their other GaaS teams, and would also help Sony in mobile and accessing a way younger audience. On top of that, they also publish games like Alan Wake and the next Fumito Ueda game.

On top of that, they have Unreal Engine: the most used engine by the AAA and AA games, but now also super important in cinema, tv shows and so on. An area that is also very important for other Sony divisions (cameras & Sony pictures).

The Epic Store doesn't have a great market share, but at least has an established PC store which is the biggest one after Steam and supports DRM. I think it could be adapted to be turned into the PC PSN store and launcher.

They must make a ton of revenue and profit, like Valve. But like Valve, I think they would be too expensive and that wouldn't want to sell.

I think that after Epic, Valve would be the top 2 western candidate: they'd get basically the biggest -by far- PC store plus the current PS Vita (SteamDeck) and the knowledge and catalog from their VR device (including HL Ayx) and a good back catalog with a few top IPs. So they could secure Half Life 3 as console exclusive.

Definitely makes them far more complicated. It's hard to see EA or WB being worth it unless there is a very clever way to work around the issues.
I think it's totally unrealistic to consider that Sony would buy Epic, EA, Take 2, Ubisoft, Valve or Epic because of thier pricing being too high and willingness or need to sell.

Regarding WB, they had certain willingness to sell, at least portions. I think they could be open to sell isolated studios or even isolated IPs.

Even without IPs, they have super talented studios that would be interesting to buy: Rocksteady, TT Games, Netherrealm or Avalanche. Netherrealm would be a great fit for Sony, and the other three don't make the type of games that are a top priority for Sony in terms of acquisitions but if priced at a good price they would be a great acquisition.

Last edited: