Sony Interactive Entertainment Tops The List Of Metacritic Game Publisher Rankings (2022)

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I do not play mobile games but Sony is at 20! They have mobile games? I though they left and are now returning hence the news in recent months…

Another though:
Unfortunately I think the publishers list will become shorter and shorter during the next years…
I think Sony technically owns Fate: Grand Order, which is a fairly successful mobile gacha game.

• Informative
Reactions: Zeroing
24 Jun 2022
This really changes nothing about how I feel about Metacritic personally; I still think their aggregation process is heavily flawed and could use many improvements, but that would require them, reviewer sites, and publishers to work together.

Even so, GGs Sony for pulling through with the W.

Something about that list is misleading. Sony isn't publishing every game on PlayStation platforms, just their 1P games and select 3P games. So Sony as a publisher did not generate $24.5 billion in revenue for PlayStation that year; PlayStation as a brand did. But that was with the combination of Sony's published games, and those of 3P partners like Capcom, Sega, Take-Two, EA, Square-Enix, Bandai-Namco etc.

Although I think the revenue reflected in PlayStation for 3P would just include Sony's 30% cut from 3P software sales on their platform, so it's not fully reflective of actual individual 3P revenue. Same for Microsoft and Nintendo.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This award is pointless but we should spam this accomplishment at every opportunity like they did in 2021 and continue to do everytime there is criticism at Xbox studios.

"But they won Publisher of the year"
It's not even related? The ranking was revenue and this is metacritic scores lol

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
D

Deleted member 417

The real news here is that Xbox didn't chart because it didn't meet the criteria of launching more than 5 games. They released 4.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They crushed everyone last year in those rankings.

Honestly, I have no idea how MSFT won anything the year before either.... Halo? LOL
Microsoft shouldn't have won 2021, metacritic left off a couple of stinkers that MS published

24 Jun 2022
Thus far this generation, in my opinion -

2020 - Sony
2021 - Microsoft
2022 - Sony
2023 - ?????

It will be a far closer battle this generation than it was last generation, that's for damn sure.

I mean sure, if you're only going by MC awards and scores. But Metacritic is a lot like the Oscars, there's always a lot of gaming politics influencing certain things with reviews and aggregates, for all publishers & brands.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417
P

peter42O

I mean sure, if you're only going by MC awards and scores. But Metacritic is a lot like the Oscars, there's always a lot of gaming politics influencing certain things with reviews and aggregates, for all publishers & brands.

Excluding Meta Critic, that is how I see this generation thus far. Sony had the far superior launch, 2021 belonged to Microsoft and Sony dominated 2022. We'll see how 2023 goes.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
This award is pointless but we should spam this accomplishment at every opportunity like they did in 2021 and continue to do everytime there is criticism at Xbox studios.

100% what i intend to do.

I dont give a shit about this but it will be fun saying “but sony won publisher of the year” when criticism of anything they do is brought up

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Thus far this generation, in my opinion -

2020 - Sony
2021 - Microsoft
2022 - Sony
2023 - ?????

It will be a far closer battle this generation than it was last generation, that's for damn sure.
Sure; flopfall and flopfield are here to prove it

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Metacritic s trash. Concept doesnt make sense. Same game has bigger score on xbox than ps or switch, or vice versa. Games with 15 reviews in same bracket like games with 120 reviews. Hipster sites like Edge having more weight tham others etc. User scores shouldnt be there in first place. Stupid awards either way. I cant believe green camp made such a big deal with this last year.