Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
In the case of Sony and SE, or any japanese company for that matter, if any other company not in japan made a counter offer it could be looked at as a hostile takeover from outsiders.
I didn’t refer to you with troll, it’s just what I have seen a couple of times in Twitter for example mentioned from some Xbox & Nintendo worshippers.

Reactions: Savant and Dabaus

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Sony has acquired SE China. Hold on to your butts!

I dont think thats real, ZHUGE H or whatever his name is said it wasnt.

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I dont think thats real, ZHUGE H or whatever his name is said it wasnt.
Data.Iyiou is definitely real. Just translate the link if you don't believe it.

Screenshot-2022-07-29-18-23-41-62-40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Last edited:

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Im going to wait on a PR statemnt from either sony or square. I dont think we'll see any moves until the embracer deal closes with crystal dynamics.
Consider that this is only the China wing of SE, but don't think it will be long before a full acquisition is announced

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Don't think buying SE was needed but it doesn't hurt I guess. Opportunity cost be dammed.
Sony does seem to have a lot of success working with SE, well except for Babylon's Fall.

SE has been under some unbelievably terrible management yet somehow has produced many good games, a lot of room for improvement there if they end up buying them and removing this garbage CEO that can't let go of NFTs.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Sony does seem to have a lot of success working with SE, well except for Babylon's Fall.

SE has been under some unbelievably terrible management yet somehow has produced many good games, a lot of room for improvement there if they end up buying them and removing this garbage CEO that can't let go of NFTs.

Im just worried that Babylons Fall was Jim Ryans idea or someone at Sony.....

I really hope Sony dont buy them to make a load of GAAS games, that would be a disaster.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Im just worried that Babylons Fall was Jim Ryans idea or someone at Sony.....

I really hope Sony dont buy them to make a load of GAAS games, that would be a disaster.
Babylon's Fall pre-dates Jim Ryan for sure, it was reveled in 2018. Just another one of the projects where PlatinumGames simply phones it in.

Savant

11 Jul 2022
This outbid argument is nonsense. Who should outbid them? Where were the counter offers for Bethesda or Activision Blizzard???
That’s not how business works, big companies usually don’t interfere with each other regarding acquisitions. Only uneducated trolls think buying an public-traded company, is like doing an auction on Ebay. I am to 100% if Sony buys SQEX, that there will be no other offers.
What you say is spot on

And @Dabaus can correct me if I'm wrong and or jump in and clarify (because no one can speak better for you than you) but from what I took from his post, he was much more talking about another company buying Sqaure Enix in the future if Sony does nothing

When xbots talk about "bidding wars" its such non sense and it shows they have no idea how the real world works

But Sony should def be fast to make a move on SE, before SE gets bought out in the future, especially in today's volatile climate which microsoft's psychopathic aggressive consolidating started

Partnerships alone aren't enough anymore. Call of Duty was known as the home of Playstation, and than microsoft bought Activision out

It would be an absolute disaster if Sony sat on their relationship with SE, did nothing, and than Final Fantasy the home of Playstation gets taken away from them.

Sony knows this.

Like I already said some weeks ago, I firmly believe that Sony has already bought Square Enix in actuality and is just sitting on that announcement.

There are technicalities where by you don't have to announce a buy immediately, and especially in Japan where it's a different set of rules..

I can see @Bryank75 's frustrations with Sony lol, because Jim is sort of a stingy penny pincher lol, and the old Sony def would've sat around and done nothing as microsoft bought out the industry....but I can 100% promise all of you that this new Sony means serious buisness - and that things have officially changed : )

Microsoft's take over of Activision really opened up Sony's eyes. Sony now has the eye of the tiger! I promise, Sony's phase 2 aquistions are going to be massive and make everyone happy. Sony ain't playing around anymore

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
What you say is spot on

And @Dabaus can correct me if I'm wrong and or jump in and clarify (because no one can speak better for you than you) but from what I took from his post, he was much more talking about another company buying Sqaure Enix in the future if Sony does nothing

When xbots talk about "bidding wars" its such non sense and it shows they have no idea how the real world works

But Sony should def be fast to make a move on SE, before SE gets bought out in the future, especially in today's volatile climate which microsoft's psychopathic aggressive consolidating started

Partnerships alone aren't enough anymore. Call of Duty was known as the home of Playstation, and than microsoft bought Activision out

It would be an absolute disaster if Sony sat on their relationship with SE, did nothing, and than Final Fantasy the home of Playstation gets taken away from them.

Sony knows this.

Like I already said some weeks ago, I firmly believe that Sony has already bought Square Enix in actuality and is just sitting on that announcement.

There are technicalities where by you don't have to announce a buy immediately, and especially in Japan where it's a different set of rules..

I can see @Bryank75 's frustrations with Sony lol, because Jim is sort of a stingy penny pincher lol, and the old Sony def would've sat around and done nothing as microsoft bought out the industry....but I can 100% promise all of you that this new Sony means serious buisness - and that things have officially changed : )

Microsoft's take over of Activision really opened up Sony's eyes. Sony now has the eye of the tiger! I promise, Sony's phase 2 aquistions are going to be massive and make everyone happy. Sony ain't playing around anymore
Agreed. How do you know about bolder though?

Savant

11 Jul 2022
Agreed. How do you know about bolder though?
Not just from what I've "heard" but it coinciding with the actions Sony have actually taken

-Increasing budget to 30bill
-Sony CFO saying they have no limit & will spend what they need to
-Jim saying to expect larger aquistionsS

Sony ain't sitting around and doing nothing anymore, and that's been made clear in all their recent earnings reports

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
It's interesting that the games industry boom from COVID had started to trail off.. and seems to have fully "decelerated" now using Sony's words.

Might be a ripe time for some people to want to "sell out".. like wanting to sell your house at the height of a bubble.

Companies like Sony who can weather a recession might get some good deals.

Savant

11 Jul 2022
Anything can happen in gaming. Before Sony bought Bungie, everyone kept saying how Playstation will never make a large aquisition

Times are changing!

Expect the unexpected from Sony: )

Just remember that Playstation is far more important to Sony than xbox is to microsoft

And at this point, microsoft investors are pissed that they aren't getting the returns they want compared to how much they've already put into xbox. xbox is in deep trouble with microsoft investors

@IntentionalPun

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Sony better get on with it because Microsoft isn’t done. Their most recent SEC filing says they’re going to continue investing in gaming companies.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Sony better get on with it because Microsoft isn’t done. Their most recent SEC filing says they’re going to continue investing in gaming companies.

Yep, the race is on. Sony have some runway right now with Microsoft being held up in the activision merger, they better choose carefully

Reactions: Dabaus

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
My thoughts on that are that they are going to invest into what they currently already own. Not necessarily more acquisitions.

Last edited: