Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Sony better get on with it because Microsoft isn’t done. Their most recent SEC filing says they’re going to continue investing in gaming companies.
You guys really don't get it. Sony is fine and the fact that MS has to spend billions just to try to remain competitive says everything.

Sony current strategy of strategic acquisitions has a much higher chance of success.

Sure, Sony could still go after a publisher but they have no reason to be desperate to do so.

Now, what current Sony can't afford to do is what they did in the past, passing the opportunity to acquire From Software and Atlus for very little money when they were already working with them and were market leaders.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Nah, they are playing the long game for Capcom and Square.
I will call it: Capcom is not selling to anyone. They are good on their own. Most likely we will see Sony buying in 22 or between 23 and 24 Square Enix. 100% this time it’s going to happen. After Microsoft’s true intention leaked within defending themselves against the Brazilian regulators, Sony needs to do something.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I will call it: Capcom is not selling to anyone. They are good on their own. Most likely we will see Sony buying in 22 or between 23 and 24 Square Enix. 100% this time it’s going to happen. After Microsoft’s true intention leaked within defending themselves against the Brazilian regulators, Sony needs to do something.

yea, at this time I think CAPCOM is happy and flush with cash for any future projects. But WOULD not surprise me priority wise in fighting games if we see something go more towards Sony.

I mean look at exclusive content for VR from capcom going to Sony?

Square is going to be bought 100%. The issue is the fear of a Chinese company buying Square shares to the point making it impossible for a merger/Buyout.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
yea, at this time I think CAPCOM is happy and flush with cash for any future projects. But WOULD not surprise me priority wise in fighting games if we see something go more towards Sony.

I mean look at exclusive content for VR from capcom going to Sony?

Square is going to be bought 100%. The issue is the fear of a Chinese company buying Square shares to the point making it impossible for a merger/Buyout.
This are the current shareholders of Square Enix:

Square-Enix.com

Personally I don’t think SQEX would ever consider to sell to a Chinese or American company. After what Eidos founder said about it, I think it’s just a matter of time.

Reactions: Bryank75

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Square-Enix.com

Personally I don’t think SQEX would ever consider to sell to a Chinese or American company. After what Eidos founder said about it, I think it’s just a matter of time.

I think Sony and Square are waiting to be honest. I think they are waiting on regulators to finish with Acitivsion/Blizzard before they announce it.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Square Enix will 100% be revealed by end of the 2022 IMO. I also think Sony will go heavy on making stuff exclusive too, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest too.

Depends on how well some of those brands did on other platforms. Final Fantasy is a lock for staying exclusive. But Dragon quest? That game has done well in its spin offs like dragon quest builders.

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Depends on how well some of those brands did on other platforms. Final Fantasy is a lock for staying exclusive. But Dragon quest? That game has done well in its spin offs like dragon quest builders.
This is true, you think New IPs going forward and stuff like NieR will be exclusive?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Square-Enix.com

Notice the similarities with the top shareholders of Sony:
image.png

I think this be revealed this month as they joined the family.
I think they may reveal a different acquisition this month. They'll do this show for EVO:

Sony's "EVO Lounge" livestream show in addition to EVO stuff will feature:
"exciting content and reveals from developers and publishers, such as Arc System Works, Warner Bros. Games, Capcom, SNK, and Bandai Namco Entertainment, as well as all the latest from the scene with pro players and casters. Viewers will be treated to the latest news for our favorite games and a few sneak peeks of what’s ahead. "

So I assume it will be mostly the typical news these companies announce at EVO finals (like new fighting games, new DLC/characters, betas, extra info about upcoming games, etc.) but who knows if they may announce there that they acquired somene related to fighting games like Netherrealm, ARC System Works, Capcom or who knows if even -highly doubt it- Bandai Namco (Tekken, SoulCalibur, Dragon Ball FighterZ).

Last edited:

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Notice the similarities with the top shareholders of Sony:
image.png

I think they may reveal a different acquisition this month. They'll do this show for EVO:

Sony's "EVO Lounge" livestream show in addition to EVO stuff will feature:
"exciting content and reveals from developers and publishers, such as Arc System Works, Warner Bros. Games, Capcom, SNK, and Bandai Namco Entertainment, as well as all the latest from the scene with pro players and casters. Viewers will be treated to the latest news for our favorite games and a few sneak peeks of what’s ahead. "

So I assume it will be mostly the typical news these companies announce at EVO finals (like new fighting games, new DLC/characters, betas, extra info about upcoming games, etc.) but who knows if they may announce there that they acquired somene related to fighting games like Netherrealm, ARC System Works, Capcom or who knows if even -highly doubt it- Bandai Namco (Tekken, SoulCalibur, Dragon Ball FighterZ).

You think Sony will buy a fighting studio?