Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Just announce the Deviation Games acquisition already, Hermen. The jig is up. Dude's blueballing us 🤣

Yeah, idk im actually excited for playstation to have a AAA first person shooter studio.

Bungie is cool but they are still making multiplatform games so its not like their next game or destiny will be specifically sony branded or integrated well into their ‘family’ dynamic.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Yeah, idk im actually excited for playstation to have a AAA first person shooter studio.

Bungie is cool but they are still making multiplatform games so its not like their next game or destiny will be specifically sony branded or integrated well into their ‘family’ dynamic.
Sony should tell them to make a nearly identical CoD and then promoting it with: “From Call of Duty Veterans developed“. The name should be “Call of War”. :p

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You think Sony will buy a fighting studio?
I think it's likely. If they would buy Capcom they would buy a top eSport fighting game plus the horror market leader, plus the monster hunting market leader plus they'd become even more hack & slash market leaders. Plus would get top, historical 2d platforming IPs like Mega Man and Ghost & Goblins and many classic IPs more.

With Netherrealm they'd get the best selling 2d fighting game. With Namco they'd get the best selling 3D fighting game and a top in fighting eSports company too with many classic IPs including stuff like Dark Souls and Elden Ring.

ARC System Works would be way cheaper and they are the most productive fighting game.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Im not excited by Haven or Deviation until I see properly what they're working on. Doesnt sound like Deviation are fine polishing/evolving the COD genre with their next game. Or Jade's gonna put the Assassin's Creed-like genre on its ear the way it should have been etc. I don't really get it.

Like I wouldnt purchase NetherRealm for the purpose of anything other than fighting games. Im buying peoples expertise and track record, but not to displace them outside of what they're known for. Whats the point?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Im not excited by Haven or Deviation until I see properly what they're working on. Doesnt sound like Deviation are fine polishing/evolving the COD genre with their next game. Or Jade's gonna put the Assassin's Creed-like genre on its ear the way it should have been etc. I don't really get it.

Like I wouldnt purchase NetherRealm for the purpose of anything other than fighting games. Im buying peoples expertise and track record, but not to displace them outside of what they're known for. Whats the point?

We don’t really know what either studio is doing but Sony aren’t buying them to make clones of other more popular games

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
If they are making a scifi shooter game on mars, itd be cool it was like a horror fps in the vein of call of duty. Like if Resistance were made by a COD team or something.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Where does it say it's related to their game? And where do they say it's a shooter?

In a recent Senior Game Designer job offer they ask for people experienced in "AAA single-player or multiplayer RPGs/Action/story games"

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Where does it say it's related to their game? And where do they say it's a shooter?

In a recent Senior Game Designer job offer they ask for people experienced in "AAA single-player or multiplayer RPGs/Action/story games"
I've said since the studio was revealed, They could be another Respawn in the making and we all know how they ended up. Sony is 100% gonna scoop them sooner than later.

I think *Partnerships* are Sony/PlayStation's version of setting/building new studios from the ground up and invest in them.

Reactions: Aidendelaney95

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I've said since the studio was revealed, They could be another Respawn in the making and we all know how they ended up. Sony is 100% gonna scoop them sooner than later.

I think *Partnerships* are Sony/PlayStation's version of setting/building new studios from the ground up and invest in them.
As of now their only partnership is a 2nd party deal: Sony will publish a game of a 3rd party studio. Which means nothing regarding the chancess of being acquired by them. Since before PS1 Sony published games of a ton of 3rd party studios and only bought a small portion of them. And Sony also acquired many studios that didn't have a single Sony published game.