Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I am pretty sure it will be a full buyout. Sony will not risk to loose them permanently. Mark in your calendar November and remember my words.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
With tencent being so active in japan, i am concerned that whatever plans sony has for square enix (assuming they have any) that tencent may try to cuck them one way or another. Sonys going to have to decide what they really want and get the wallet out to protect it.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
With tencent being so active in japan, i am concerned that whatever plans sony has for square enix (assuming they have any) that tencent may try to cuck them one way or another. Sonys going to have to decide what they really want and get the wallet out to protect it.

No I don’t think so. Tencent did also bid for Bungie but Sony overbid them. Sony will go all-in to secure Square Enix. Even if it means paying $9B. Tencent is only on profit.

Reactions: Muddasar

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
No I don’t think so. Tencent did also bid for Bungie but Sony overbid them. Sony will go all-in to secure Square Enix. Even if it means paying $9B. Tencent is only on profit.
Ill believe it when i see it. I dont know why they didnt go all out with from soft just now despite being magnitudes of order cheaper to do so. I hope youre right though.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Ill believe it when i see it. I dont know why they didnt go all out with from soft just now despite being magnitudes of order cheaper to do so. I hope youre right though.

But even if they would try, it would be considered a hostile takeover. Japanese government (JFTC) will always block hostile takeovers. Tbh I think the regulations are in Japan so strict, that foreign companies have literally no realistic chance to buy big Japanese companies. David Faulkner posted in the past on interesting tweet regarding Japanese laws for M&A.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

Looks like this lady is part of playstations acquistion team. You guys know what to do in the comments section, ask for square enix and capcom to be next 🤣🤣🤣

Bro the real hero is Lin Tao and Urata Kenichiro. They are the ones in charge responsible for M&A in Japan. Lin Tao for both (west&Japan) and Urata for (Japan + Asia). It’s stated that Urata is the one behind the FromSoftware investment.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
But even if they would try, it would be considered a hostile takeover. Japanese government (JFTC) will always block hostile takeovers. Tbh I think the regulations are in Japan so strict, that foreign companies have literally no realistic chance to buy big Japanese companies. David Faulkner posted in the past on interesting tweet regarding Japanese laws for M&A.
You can't hostile takeover Fromsoft, they are not a publicly traded company.... they are a privately owned entity by Kadokawa.. and now Tencent and Sony.

Either way I think people over-estimate how/why Japan would block Japanese companies / stockholders from selling their companies/shares to foreign entities. There is a review process, but I've never seen any evidence Japan often blocks these kinds of purchases.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I dont mean tencent themselves tries to buy se, I mean like sony wanted like a 20 percent stock buy but tencent under cuts them and buys like 11 percent.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
You can't hostile takeover Fromsoft, they are not a publicly traded company.... they are a privately owned entity by Kadokawa.. and now Tencent and Sony.

Either way I think people over-estimate how/why Japan would block Japanese companies / stockholders from selling their companies/shares to foreign entities. There is a review process, but I've never seen any evidence Japan often blocks these kinds of purchases.

I was talking about Square Enix and they are public-traded lol.

Reactions: IntentionalPun

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
The fact that tencent got 16 percent compared to sonys 14...do we think playstation still is on the short end of the stick as far as budgets go?

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
The fact that tencent got 16 percent compared to sonys 14...do we think playstation still is on the short end of the stick as far as budgets go?
I'm not sure we can conclude much from that split.

Kadokawa probably set out to sell 30% of their company at a certain valuation. Selling to more than 1 company shares, gives them 2 companies wanting to do favors for them to increase their value instead of just 1.

Why the 16% landed on Tencent's side is probably 1 of a million reasons.. but they probably paid the same amount for their shares.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I'm not sure we can conclude much from that split.

Kadokawa probably set out to sell 30% of their company at a certain valuation. Selling to more than 1 company shares, gives them 2 companies wanting to do favors for them to increase their value instead of just 1.

Why the 16% landed on Tencent's side is probably 1 of a million reasons.. but they probably paid the same amount for their shares.
Thats a good point. The 30 percent threshhold was fromsofts/kadojaws call.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Just buy fucking crapcom already. They have an amazing engine. They were the only ones able to make a 100% port to VR of a high profile game.

What are you waiting Jym Ryan? Staph fucking around and just do it.
Capcom is privately owned, they have to be willing to sell

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Capcom is privately owned, they have to be willing to sell

They are actually a public company traded in Japanese exchange but you are right in a way... the majority of shares are owned by the family that started it.

Squares Enix is similar.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
They are actually a public company traded in Japanese exchange but you are right in a way... the majority of shares are owned by the family that started it.

Squares Enix is similar.
They may never want out in reality

Japan has a very common practice of keeping companies in the family name. They even adopt adult sons so that the name remains part of companies

So maybe Jim Ryan needs to become an adopted son :ROFLMAO:

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They may never want out in reality

Japan has a very common practice of keeping companies in the family name. They even adopt adult sons so that the name remains part of companies

So maybe Jim Ryan needs to become an adopted son :ROFLMAO:

I can imagine.

Sounds like a great sketch actually.