Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
I was much more bullish on Square Enix when they had western studios that just seemed a bit mismanaged and could easily turn into diamonds under PlayStation Studios

Now they are a white elephant putting out one mainline FF, DQ and KH per gen. None of which would be hitting more than around 10 million as exclusives

And all the dumb NFT crap is nothing less than a company that obviously doesn't know what it is doing

Close to 6 billion for 3 franchises. Its an investment I can't ever see paying itself back

D

Deleted member 417

Can Vr be left out of the discussion around acquisitions?

10 years ago, a guy with a really stupid name taped a mobile phone to his face. 10 years later and we have 4k@60fps with HDR and a new technology, foveated rendering.

Where will VR be in 10 years? There's every chance that a headset breaks into the mainstream. Maybe it will be VR2 or VR3, maybe it will be a Nintendo offering, but 10 years is a gosh darn long time in technology.

Are we so sure that flat-screen gaming will be as popular as it is today? If it isn't as popular, then Sony have a head start in the VR race and who knows, maybe Killzone VR or Battlefield VR will be bigger than COD. Or heck, what is COD VR becomes more popular than the flat screen version?

Sony will be fine.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Sony should be taking $2 billion to Kadokawas doorstep to make them an offer they can't refuse for From Software

Then get them to work on Bloodborne 2 and Olden Ring

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I do think Sony should sue for peace now that the is senator is involved. Make it more on their terms though like we want 12 years instead of 10 and call your senator off and we’ll sign the deal. Then announce squares acquisition like the same day or shortly after to save face.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I was much more bullish on Square Enix when they had western studios that just seemed a bit mismanaged and could easily turn into diamonds under PlayStation Studios

Now they are a white elephant putting out one mainline FF, DQ and KH per gen. None of which would be hitting more than around 10 million as exclusives

And all the dumb NFT crap is nothing less than a company that obviously doesn't know what it is doing

Close to 6 billion for 3 franchises. Its an investment I can't ever see paying itself back
The Office Thank You GIF

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I disagree, in terms of big name pubs Capcom seem to have more to offer, outside of mobile money from SE's mobile games
Oh I agree. As a customer, Square does nothing to me. They sold off most of their IPs and are left with a few I don't care for much, as much as I hate to admit it when it comes to FF these days.

But they make the most sense. They're cheaper than most and come with FF XIV, the biggest MMO on the market now. It fits with Sony's GaaS push. Not to mention they have a good relationship with them.

I wouldn't mind SE before they sold off most of their IPs. Imagine a Sony produced Tomb Raider. They had some excellent IPs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I think TakeTwo would definitely fit and if anyone didn't know Strauss Zelnick used to work for Sony music before he went into games.
He's one of the sharpest guys in gaming IMO.
Didn't that tit say he wanted MTX in all 2K games going forward? His thinking is how we get crap design descisions like WWE 2K Towers and Mortal Kombat Krypt grinding. They think that's how to increase/maintain player engagement over time. The Idiots.

Although, yeah, I agree totally Sony should throw in with SSD and have a Sony Sports Network or PS Sports branding etc. Align those with EVO/PS Tournaments stuff. It's not my wheelhouse, but I'd have to imagine there's "EVO for sports games", right? I'd go one step further... As well as the WWE games as part of 2K/T2, I'd put some money into Yukes and that AEW game.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Its really not up to Jim Ryan. He hasn't got a blank cheque like Phil Spencer

Any potential acquisition needs to be approved by Japan

The better hypothetical situation would be if Kaz was still CEO, I am sure Kaz would be more than willing to acquire a big fish

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
P

peter42O

I really hope Sony does acquire Square Enix and making all of their games exclusive to PlayStation doesn't make any sort of a difference compared to what it is now. Square Enix keeps the main events exclusive to PlayStation while giving the under card to Xbox.

For me, once Square Enix sold off Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal, they're of no interest to me but I do want Sony to acquire them for one simple reason - to no longer read/hear/see "will Square Enix bring (insert game title here) to Xbox" ever again.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Some of the IPs that will now be under MS control:
From Activision - Call of Duty/Warzone, Crash, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater, Spyro
From Blizzard: Diablo, Warcraft/World of War/Harthstone, StarCraft, Overwatch
From Bethesda - The Elders Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Quake
From Xbox - Halo, Gears, Forza, Age of Empires, Flight Simulator

*All but CoD removed from PlayStation on future entries and CoD removed or made a lesser product on PlayStation soon enougth.
** Some of those are PC centric but MS will no doubt get them on their console soon, not to mention that Sony now also competes on the PC space.

How is Sony going to compete against all that? Horizon, God of War, Gran Turismo, Death Stranding and The Last of Us are not going to cut it long term regardless of their quality. They can't count on MS screwing everything they need to at least get close to the same amount of studios and get their hands on some big IPs.

Sony needs something like EA or Take Two or a combination of smaller publishers like CDPR/Capcom/SquareEnix. They should also consider negotiating with other publishers for key individual studios or IPs to secure/develop them on PlayStation like Battlefield, FromSoftware, MGS.

The PS5 gen is in the bag but Sony needs to start showing their hand fast because right now the long term isn't good at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Honestly if Sony buys Square Enix, Capcom, CDPR, Deviation Games and Ballistic Moon they would be ready for the Future.

Reactions: Dabaus

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
While I agree with your second point, you are adding in some basically dead franchises to your first point and leaving out a lot of what Sony has already. Crash, Spyro, Warcraft, Starcraft, Quake are not really that relevant are they?

On Sony side you are ignoring Spiderman, Destiny, Uncharted, MLB, Ghost of Tsushima.

Reactions: Muddasar

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
While I agree with your second point, you are adding in some basically dead franchises to your first point and leaving out a lot of what Sony has already. Crash, Spyro, Warcraft, Starcraft, Quake are not really that relevant are they?

On Sony side you are ignoring Spiderman, Destiny, Uncharted, MLB, Ghost of Tsushima.
Spider-man and MLB are licenced IPs. MLB and Destiny are multi-plataform games.

I obviously only mentioned some key IPs for every GoT or Days Gone MS also has something like Fable/Starfield/Dishonored that also didn't mention.

The point is that MS is permanently taking away some big games from PlayStation from now on while making them Xbox exclusives. You don't counter that by simply organically growing your studios. Right now Sony can't even develop new entries for IPs like Uncharted and are milking some IPs like Horizon way too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: peter42O

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Spider-man and MLB are licenced IPs. MLB and Destiny are multi-plataform games.

I obviously only mentioned some key IPs for every GoT or Days Gone MS also has something like Fable/Starfield/Dishonored that also didn't mention.

The point is that MS is permanently taking away some big games from PlayStation from now on while making them Xbox exclusives. You don't counter that by simply organically growing your studios. Right now Sony can't even develop new entries for IPs like Uncharted and are milking some IPs like Horizon way too much.
COD isn't exclusive yet at least, so it's in the same boat as Destiny.

But on the whole I agree. Which is why I think Sony needs to buy Take 2 and a range of devs like From Software

Square, even Capcom aren't going to cut it in this arms race