21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It is a remaster I'm looking for ;)

2x1_NSwitch_TacticsOgreReborn_image1600w.jpg

Summary shameless stolen from ERA.

Noisy pixel - 9.5/10 (Switch)
Tactics Ogre Reborn is a remake that filled me with joy and nostalgia for something I couldn't even get close to beating as a kid. It's an enriching experience with some of the best strategy gameplay around. I hope this leads to remakes of other Ogre Battle games and maybe Final Fantasy Tactics titles while they're at it.

RPGFan - 95/100 (Switch)
I will echo what I've said throughout this review: Tactics Ogre: Reborn is hugely successful in its goals to modernise an admittedly old game. I am impressed on quite a deep level; having played these games for nearly 25 years, it's a pleasant surprise to see Square Enix putting so much delicate attention into every facet. Think of it like an old house. It needed dusting; it has original period features that require a specific wood stain, so it doesn't rot. Square Enix has given this house a thorough renovation, using the correct tools for every job and restoring the lustre you remember it having when you were young(er). In the context of this game, it's a big victory, but it also makes me wish they'd put so much effort into other recent remasters.

The Mako reactor - 9.5/10 (Switch)
Tactics Ogre: Reborn feels like it is a bespoke Nintendo Switch game rather than a remake of an older title. It looks and plays like a dream on the system both docked and handheld, and the addition of proper HD Rumble makes it even better. With Tactics Ogre: Reborn and Triangle Strategy, Square Enix has delivered two of the best tactical RPGs within months of each other on the best platform for the genre.

God is a Geek - 8.5/10 (Switch)
Above everything else though, I think Tactics Ogre Reborn suffers due to releasing in a golden age of tactics games. As impressive as it is for a game that's decades old, compared to modern titles from this year alone it's slightly lacking. After playing through Triangle Strategy less than a month ago, I couldn't help but compare the thematically similar games and as unfair as that might be the Hd-2d masterpiece came out on top.

Tactics Ogre Reborn is a great remake of the tactics game that started it all, with strategic gameplay that's still satisfying decades later. It may struggle to keep up with recent releases, but fans of the genre will still find a lot to love in this absolute classic.

GameSpot - 8/10 (Switch)
Tactics Ogre's intense tactical combat, in-depth character-building, and excellent storytelling makes it a must-play for strategy-RPG fans. It's wonderful that this game is much more widely available now, and most of the updates and upgrades make the package even better. While some might balk at the $50 price tag for a remake with an iffy graphical and sound overhaul, the superb strategy gameplay and branching story paths will keep your attention for a very long time. While it might not be a perfect remake, it's a damn good one.

Eurogamer -Recommended (Switch)
You might think I'd find this game dull, after tackling the above. In practice, I've found it to be a work of incredible richness and surprise, even discounting Reborn's many tweaks and additions: you can see hints of Disgaea's chaotic style, for instance, in the moderately crazy methods necessary to keep enemies alive so that you can recruit or tame them. The more I dig in - and there's much more to say than I have time for here - the more I understand what a long shadow Tactics Ogre has cast. Even if you don't play this version, it's a game you should definitely play.

Polygon - Unscored (Switch)
There's genius and sincerity at work here. Get deep enough into Tactics Ogre and the entreaty of its subtitle, Let Us Cling Together, starts to sound a lot less goofy and a lot more urgent and sad. How deep you will get into the game depends on your appetite for micromanagement and your patience with gameplay systems that, 27 years later, are starting to creak, despite all the judicious tinkering that's been done to them. Tactics Ogre: Reborn is a welcome, polished, and thoughtful update to a game that defined a genre — a genre that has now left it behind.

VG247 - 5/5 (Switch)
In a world where we've seen Square Enix fall down with remasters (examples include the lacklustre Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters and the egregious Kingdom Hearts on Switch), Tactics Ogre: Reborn highlights something special – a change of the guard, so to speak, that bodes remarkably well for the rest of the publisher's classic RPG oeuvre.

Push Square - 8/10 (PS5)
The strategy RPG genre owes a lot to the Tactics Ogre franchise, which is filled with lesser titles trying to recreate even a fraction of its winning formula. The experience that lies at the heart of Tactics Ogre: Reborn has stood the test of time admirably and, thanks to the swathe of intelligent tweaks and quality-of-life improvements introduced, will likely remain at the head of the pack for years to come.

PlayStation Universe - 8/10 (PS5)
There's validity to Tactics Ogre being a classic, and Tactics Ogre: Reborn showcases that. Tactics Ogre: Reborn offers the kind of simplified presentation combined with fantastic writing and voice work to create a cohesive package all around. Despite showing its age in places, the game offers more than enough to convince even the most anti-tactics gamer out there to give it a try.

PSX Brasil - 95/100 (PS5)
Tactics Ogre: Reborn is a more than worthy re-release of what is undeniably one of the most influential and perhaps the best Tactical RPGs of all time. The improvements brought in this version make it more accessible and have considerably improved the experience for both new players and long-time fans alike, and make it a must-have title for anyone interested in the genre.

Wccftech - 9/10 (PC)
With many gameplay changes that restore the original's great pacing without doing away with the deeper customization options introduced in the PSP remake, one of the best stories ever seen in tactical role-playing games and an amazing reworked soundtrack, Tactics Ogre: Reborn is, without a doubt, the definitive version of Let Us Cling Together. While some of the gameplay changes aren't exactly for the best, they are only minor issues in an experience that continues to be excellent even 27 years after its original debut

Rock Paper Shotgun - Unscored (PC)
So yes, there are flaws and niggles that come with it being almost 30 years old, but Tactics Ogre: Reborn remains one of the great strategy classics for good reason - and to finally see it come to PC and other modern platforms where everyone can enjoy its densely plotted tactical machinations is well worth celebrating. In another timeline, maybe, we might have seen this receive a more luscious HD-2D makeover (the game's 'Lawful' route, perhaps), but as it stands, this thoroughly 'Neutral' remaster still has plenty to admire and sink your teeth into - particularly if you're planning to play it on Steam Deck, where it works surprisingly well (bar a few touchscreen annoyances on the main map screen), despite not being fully verified yet. It might be a very safe kind of Square Enix remaster, but if there's one small victory we can claim against the 'Chaos' lords timeline, it's that there's not a single questionable font choice in sight. Result.

Reactions: arvfab