The General Gaming-Industry [Thread]

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
So, how about that Roblox, ehh? It posted its Q1s today and they include 66.1 million active daily users (of which two fifths are under 13 years old) and a net loss of 268 million on revenue of 655 million. Meanwhile a quick zip over to shows them up 8 billion (with a b) dollars over the past year, sitting pretty at 21.90 billion dollars on May 10th, 2023, versus 13.63 billion on May 10th, 2022. A far cry from those halcyon days of later 2022/early 2023 when they were valued congruently to Nintendo, or peak lunacy (Nov 19, 2021, when they were at 77.99 and worth more than WB and EA put together) but still a step above such has-beens as, you know, every 3rd party JP publisher.

I mean, don't get me wrong, once they figure out monetization Roblox corp could be profitable. But, you know, come on. Just because lots of people use something doesn't mean there's a way to make money from it. Especially something like Roblox that isn't friendly to data selling or ads.[/quote]

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
NetEase is opening another new western studio. This one is mostly former Ubisoft people in Toronto and Montreal, their first project is a "story-driven open-world action-adventure game". This is the 7th western/Japanese studio they've opened in the past five years. Plus buying Quantic Dream, Grasshopper and a few others. I'll keep banging the drum, people need to pay attention to this stuff, they've now got more teams aimed at the "modern gaming" space then people like Konami and Capcom, we just won't see the results for another 4 to 5 years.

• brain

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
NetEase is opening another new western studio. This one is mostly former Ubisoft people in Toronto and Montreal, their first project is a "story-driven open-world action-adventure game". This is the 7th western/Japanese studio they've opened in the past five years. Plus buying Quantic Dream, Grasshopper and a few others. I'll keep banging the drum, people need to pay attention to this stuff, they've now got more teams aimed at the "modern gaming" space then people like Konami and Capcom, we just won't see the results for another 4 to 5 years.

Should we have a thread to assess the current / future gaming landscape and ranking publishers by various metrics?

It might be interesting since there are so many new and growing players.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Should we have a thread to assess the current / future gaming landscape and ranking publishers by various metrics?

It might be interesting since there are so many new and growing players.
You can try but the last two times I made threads on NetEase they got zero replies...

• brain

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
So, here's a "fun" one for you all. Has game development length killed the idea of gaming trilogies? New God of War was set up as a duology because studio heads didn't
want to spend 15+ years on a single story. After 10 years of development the next Zelda will almost certainly be a world reset rather than BotW 3. Are we losing things here? Is this actually a good thing?

Of course there's still plenty of them people are going to try to do, but are we going to see less and less of this now due to game dev lengths?

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
So, here's a "fun" one for you all. Has game development length killed the idea of gaming trilogies? New God of War was set up as a duology because studio heads didn't
want to spend 15+ years on a single story. After 10 years of development the next Zelda will almost certainly be a world reset rather than BotW 3. Are we losing things here? Is this actually a good thing?

Of course there's still plenty of them people are going to try to do, but are we going to see less and less of this now due to game dev lengths?
This a bold statement. I actually appreciate it that Zelda BotW will end with Tears of the Kingdom. I want a new story and art design for the next instalment of The Legend of Zelda. For God of War this will not become a trilogy due to reasons. As Cory Barlog explained it’s for the better the game ended with the second instalment. Sony probably would have loved the Nordic saga to become a trilogy but they did for certainly value Cory‘s opinion higher. Games doesn’t always have to become trilogies, a game can also be wonderful with only one part. For example every Final Fantasy was it’s own closed universe.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

I do think something needs to be done about game dev times. Technology needs to improve in order to automate more aspects (maybe part of the coding, though a real programmer would still have to supervise) or the process needs to be reevaluated and overhauled to combat swelling dev times. There was a Schreier article about how AAA games are getting to the point where they take an entire console gen to make. Unless they can be fixed, trilogies would take far longer than a lot of these companies are comfortable with.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Here's a steamy one from the bowels of Famiboards. Vanpool (Tokyo-based Nintendo support studio) is shutting down. No word on whether they are being subsumed or what.

• brain
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Alright guys how will look the split for SF VI across the platforms?
IMG_6117.jpeg
I say PlayStation 84%, 10% PC and 6% Xbox.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Guys Sony is actually sleeping on a surprise hit. Maybe some of you don’t see it appealing but not important. Foamstars could be really a Splatoon for PlayStation. This is what Sony is looking for.
Kenichiro said back in 2021 he wanted Sony to have their own successful IP in the vein of Fortnite or Splatoon