This is Folklore (PS3) - A hidden gem by Japan Studio! - Mystic

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I was just in Doolin yesterday, enjoying a meal after a day in the Burren, then I saw this video about Folklore, set in Doolin from Game Republic / Japan Studio on PS3.

This is the type of game we are missing from 1st party these days. Really interesting... wish I had played it. Nixxes should be porting this to PS5...not exclusives to PC.

Excellent video from Mystic and most of his pronunciation of Irish words is good too.

• fire
Reactions: Airbus and arvfab

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Yup! I loved this game back when it came out. It didn't get the attention it deserved unfortunately because of the negativity around the PS3 at the time.

It's now a buried gem. PS3 emulation is so needed.

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Such a shame it never had a chance. Games like this or Heavenly Sword could have had amazing sequels, if the userbase AND Sony gave them a chance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Such a shame it never had a chance. Games like this or Heavenly Sword could have had amazing sequels, it the userbase AND Sony gave them a chance.

I never even knew about it or what it was about.... marketing had no reach it seems cause I was very much into gaming then.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I still have my copy. Great game. shame Sony didnt keep the team. No sequels either

Reactions: arvfab

flaccidsnake

Banned
2 May 2023
if this had been a day-and-date PC port we could still play it it has to start somewhere it has to start sometimes what better place than here what better time than now

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I got it back then because it was the first post-Capcom Yoshiki Okamoto game.

That guy designed Gyruss or Forgotten Worlds, directed games like Pang, 1941, Willow or UN Squadron and was producer or executive producer at most Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Marvel vs Capcom, pre PS3 Resident Evil games, Dino Crisis, Power Stone and many classics more.

Developed by Okamoto's company Game Republic (not Japan Studio, Sony only published it) Folklore was very interesting. I remember it had the only good implementation of the SixAxis motion sensor that I remember: to absorv stuff from enemies by moving the pad to you.

This game tanked, but after a few games that also failed and caused him to go bankrupt and having to shut down his studio, he hit the jackpot again with Monster Strike, which became the top grossing mobile game in gaming history generating almost $8B as of 2019, year when the entire Street Fighter II series (including arcades) was estimated to have grossed $10B until then.

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I got it back then because it was the first post-Capcom Yoshiki Okamoto game.

That guy designed Gyruss or Forgotten Worlds, directed games like Pang, 1941, Willow or UN Squadron and was producer or executive producer at most Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Marvel vs Capcom, pre PS3 Resident Evil games, Dino Crisis, Power Stone and many classics more.

Developed by Okamoto's company Game Republic (not Japan Studio, Sony only published it) Folklore was very interesting. I remember it had the only good implementation of the SixAxis motion sensor that I remember: to absorv stuff from enemies by moving the pad to you.

This game tanked, but after a few games that also failed and caused him to go bankrupt and having to shut down his studio, he hit the jackpot again with Monster Strike, which became the top grossing mobile game in gaming history generating almost $8B as of 2019, year when the entire Street Fighter II series (including arcades) was estimated to have grossed $10B until then.
I think Genji was his first game post Capcom

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Developed by Okamoto's company Game Republic (not Japan Studio, Sony only published it) Folklore was very interesting.
Additional work by Japan Studio and Gaia
Not quite like that.

Japan Studio:

Put Some Respeck on My Name

respeck_4958.png

• thisistheway
Reactions: Kokoloko

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Not quite like that.

Japan Studio:

Put Some Respeck on My Name

respeck_4958.png
Game Republic developed the game.

The only thing that Japan Studio did in this game in addition to publishing the game was to support them with the music and voice recording.

Your answered like Bard 😂
You forgot to tel me that you are a large language model.
You instead replied like a disgusting and toxic human being.