UK CMA Says Microsoft-Activision Deal Will 'Not Result in a Substantial Lessening of Competition'

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
activision-blizzard-acquisition-could-be-approved-by-ftc-with-concessions-report.webp

The UK CMA has issued an update on its provisional findings in its assessment of Microsoft’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard. Although the update is provisional, the UK CMA has said that “the CMA inquiry group has updated its provisional findings and reached the provisional conclusion that, overall, the transaction will not result in a substantial lessening of competition in relation to console gaming in the UK. To many, this will be deemed a major step closer towards closing the proposed acquisition.

The UK CMA will report its final report on April 26, 2023.

Martin Coleman, chair of the independent panel of experts conducting this investigation, said:

Provisional findings are a key aspect of the merger process and are explicitly designed to give the businesses involved, and any interested third parties, the chance to respond with new evidence before we make a final decision.

Having considered the additional evidence provided, we have now provisionally concluded that the merger will not result in a substantial lessening of competition in console gaming services because the cost to Microsoft of withholding Call of Duty from PlayStation would outweigh any gains from taking such action.

Our provisional view that this deal raises concerns in the cloud gaming market is not affected by today’s announcement. Our investigation remains on course for completion by the end of April.

You can read the full report here.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
If this goes through it’s open season for any company to buy anything they want. You can’t block anything after this. No other purchase will be as expensive and monopolistic as MS buying Activision.
Ehh, things can still get blocked. Its going to come down to how much of the market a company controls and not how much ip they own.
Sony will have to start buying up some ip to compete now and that being said they might get blocked because they have such a huge lead in the market. They will likely have to come at regulators from the cloud angle as their foot print their is small.
Other than that it is disappointing seeing regulators allow MS to do what they have always done.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Ehh, things can still get blocked. Its going to come down to how much of the market a company controls and not how much ip they own.
Sony will have to start buying up some ip to compete now and that being said they might get blocked because they have such a huge lead in the market. They will likely have to come at regulators from the cloud angle as their foot print their is small.
Other than that it is disappointing seeing regulators allow MS to do what they have always done.

Sony cannot compete with this in any way. This acquisition was 70% of Sony's value as a company, nevermind the gaming division. People should brace themselves for more acquisitions and to have to buy an Xbox if they want to play their favourite franchises. Everything now is fair game for Xbox

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Nothing could realistically be blocked by MS after this, this is literally the largest purchase they could get away with and since by regulators logic, being in last place allows MS to buy whatever they want without risk to competition there's literally no argument they can make after approving this.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Nothing could realistically be blocked by MS after this, this is literally the largest purchase they could get away with and since by regulators logic, being in last place allows MS to buy whatever they want without risk to competition there's literally no argument they can make after approving this.
Sony cannot compete with this in any way. This acquisition was 70% of Sony's value as a company, nevermind the gaming division. People should brace themselves for more acquisitions and to have to buy an Xbox if they want to play their favourite franchises. Everything now is fair game for Xbox
As long as ms have a smaller market share than sony regulators wont stop them, i agree and my point is thats why sony needs to start buying up pubs as well because ms will always have a smaller market share than PS.
Regulators don't care if Sony cant compete with MS cash on hand and imo that’s wrong.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
As long as ms have a smaller market share than sony regulators wont stop them, i agree and my point is thats why sony needs to start buying up pubs as well because ms will always have a smaller market share than PS.
Regulators don't care if Sony cant compete with MS cash on hand and imo that’s wrong.
Well we don’t know the they’ll ALWAYS have a smaller market share but that is the argument.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think people are reacting to this too knee jerk. I believe this means MS came in with a counter offer for terms with what to do with large titles like COD.

I think there's a better deal going on than 10 year.

Also note that after this goes through, MS will not be able to buy anyone large. So Square, Capcom, Sega any kind of publisher at this point is off the table.

I also believe we hear about a big purchase from Sony after the ink drys on this.

But I repeat what i said over a year ago, its going through but with concessions that protect certain titles.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think people are reacting to this too knee jerk. I believe this means MS came in with a counter offer for terms with what to do with large titles like COD.

I think there's a better deal going on than 10 year.

Also note that after this goes through, MS will not be able to buy anyone large. So Square, Capcom, Sega any kind of publisher at this point is off the table.

I also believe we hear about a big purchase from Sony after the ink drys on this.

But I repeat what i said over a year ago, its going through but with concessions that protect certain titles.
None of this is certain. MS is already whining about 2 percent market share in Japan. WE all know why that is but regulators might just see 2 percent and allow anything.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
None of this is certain. MS is already whining about 2 percent market share in Japan. WE all know why that is but regulators might just see 2 percent and allow anything.
I think the idea that Playstation will somehow be banned from being able to make 3rd party deals is a bit of a pipe dream. They've got to be able to do something to stay competitive if MS is allowed to buy anything and everything.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
I think the idea that Playstation will somehow be banned from being able to make 3rd party deals is a bit of a pipe dream. They've got to be able to do something if MS is allowed to buy anything and everything.
3rd party deals are not illegal. Unless regulators are out to make western economies into straight communist i cant see them putting their fingers into every little thing.
Might as well get rid of free market at that point.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
3rd party deals are not illegal. Unless regulators are out to make western economies into straight communist i cant see them putting their fingers into every little thing.
Might as well get rid of free market at that point.
There was never a free market to begin with. There is a corporate and a lobbied market. Free? Nah, never happened.
It's barely regulated as it is.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Seems like some common sense related to remedies applied.
MS presented it and CMA changed it provisional stance.
It is good.

We need to know what remedies ended being accepted by CMA.. in the previous MS defense they showed a lot of options.

Reactions: Zzero

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
There was never a free market to begin with. There is a corporate and a lobbied market. Free? Nah, never happened.
It's barely regulated as it is.
Its free, i mean you and i can go start some shit up and compete no problem.
And there will always be corruption even in a perfect society.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

This is absolutely a free market. When the market is completely free, stuff like lobbying, consolidation, etc, are natural causes. So these are the results of free and unregulated markets.