UK CMA Says Microsoft-Activision Deal Will 'Not Result in a Substantial Lessening of Competition'

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If they don't buy COD, they may buy Diablo or Overwatch or Elder Scrolls or Crash or Fallout.
Diablo, Overwatch, Elder Scrolls, Crash and Fallout are shadows of what they were. And none of them are going to have an Xbox exclusive entry this generation.

ESVI may be exclusive -at least temporally- in consoles, but I think it may release the next generation. The next entries in the series -if Crash 5 or Overwatch 3 ever exist- would be for the next gen the earliest.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Diablo, Overwatch, Elder Scrolls, Crash and Fallout are shadows of what they were. And none of them are going to have an Xbox exclusive entry this generation.

ESVI may be exclusive -at least temporally- in consoles, but I think it may release the next generation. The next entries in the series -if Crash 5 or Overwatch 3 ever exist- would be for the next gen the earliest.
The latest Overwatch hit 35 million players in one month
The last Elder Scrolls did 30 million
The last Diablo did 30 million
The last main Fallout sold 12 million in 24 hours and was outpacing Skyrim
Even Fallout 76 as bad as it was got 12 million players

Doesn't matter if many of these hit next gen, you seem to think only the next few years is what this is about?

Not sure why you are trying to underplay buying some of the best selling IPs in gaming as no big deal? Don't worry, regulators aren't checking your posts

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Sony doesn't have 100% focus on their internal devs, far from it, for years they have relied a lot on marketing deals and temporary exclusives. They only started acquiring devs after MS started to go in that direction. For most of the PS4 gen Sony was closing studios.

Another thing I don't like it the lack of new IPs this gen from Sony and the lack of future announcements. They have the track records but at some point they need to paint a clear picture of their future and it better not be Horizon MMO, Horizon F2P/GaaS, Horizon Series and so on.
Yes, they do have 100% focus on their internal studios, how else would they release banger after banger? They making deals with third party and focusing on their internal studios aren’t mutually excludent.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yes, they do have 100% focus on their internal studios, how else would they release banger after banger? They making deals with third party and focusing on their internal studios aren’t mutually excludent.
100% focused on letting Dreams get it's lunch stolen by Roblox. 100% focused on CoD marketing deals. 100% focused on ignoring their own library of legacy games/IPs. 100% focused on having no new Uncharted.

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. It's not going to make a difference to the hardcore fanboys on either side so who cares.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Roblox has been around since 2006 and was popular well before Dreams was made
Didn't know that I only heard of it when it released on Xbox. I still ill don't understood how Dreams wasn't a huge deal.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Didn't know that I only heard of it when it released on Xbox. I still ill don't understood how Dreams wasn't a huge deal.
Cause Roblox can be monetised and Dreams can't, so it got a huge YouTube following and lots of creators plus lots of kids trying it

That was mistake 1. No matter how good the tool is nobody is investing serious time into it for free

Second mistake was Sony should release it on mobile and PC

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
1) Dreams to this date (2+ years later) still doesn't have multiplayer, so you can't play with your friends. Roblox would be nowhere if multiplayer wasn't included.
2) There is no standard avatar in Dreams. Roblox has it's default avatar, but Dreams has a floating cursor. Which means Dreams is more about making separate experiences rather than a cohesive game with different lobbies.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
100% focused on letting Dreams get it's lunch stolen by Roblox. 100% focused on CoD marketing deals. 100% focused on ignoring their own library of legacy games/IPs. 100% focused on having no new Uncharted.
Keep reaching, dude.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Assuming this deal passes regulators are pretty much putting Sony in an a terrible position. Size matters, getting cut from key partners matters, MS signaling that they are willing to spend what is takes matters. Things are adding up and Sony is getting chocked out at this pace.

Sony plan can't be to simply trust that Phil Spencer will fumble it all again.

You are right about this. It is crazy.
Call of Duty
Crash
Spyro
Tony Hawk
Diablo
Overwatch
Starcraft
Warcraft
Guitar Hero
Skylanders
Fallout
The Elder Scrolls
Starfield
Wolfenstein
Redfall
Deathloop
Hi fi rush
The Evil Within
Doom
Dishonored
Prey
The Elder Scrolls Online
Fable
Gears
Halo
Forza Motorsport
Forza Horizon
Hellblade
State of Decay
Avowed
Psychonauts
Outer Worlds
Wasteland 3

But greedy Xbox fans still cry about FF7 Remake :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
You are right about this. It is crazy.

But greedy Xbots still cry about FF7 Remake :ROFLMAO:
How weak the non Bethesda/Activision/Blizzard IPs are puts into perspective how poorly Xbox studios have done since they entered the console market.

They spent close to $80B to make up for that and now Sony will be going against a much stronger Xbox while getting cut out from Activision/Blizzard/Bethesda. This new, massive Xbox division is a very different adversary and the odds are getting stacked against Sony.

Sony still has time to adjust but it will require some big moves from them and a lot competence. People acting like it will just be business as usual for Sony are in denial.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Just to add here that poor Xbox + Bethesda + ABK is an entity probably worth as much as Sony itself - if that entity was under a subsidiary and not under a division, conveniently. And that same entity will have ~ the same revenue as playstation.

But they are the small guys and need all the help they can get. Close to 40 studios, dozens of recognised 3rd party IP, and still we must feel bad for them.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Complaining and passive aggressively chiding the MS narrative solves nothing. Dealing with the reality is where the real worth of discussion is at.

The war of attrition is here. The war is here to stay, the war will be fought, the war will be dirty, blows will be exchanged and will hurt, and at the end there will be a winner and a loser. Can't escape it, can't run from it. Kicking or screaming the war will impose its own will.

Peacetime is over. Buckle up, and gear up!

SomeScrawnyFulmar-max-1mb.gif

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Firefly

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Just to add here that poor Xbox + Bethesda + ABK is an entity probably worth as much as Sony itself - if that entity was under a subsidiary and not under a division, conveniently. And that same entity will have ~ the same revenue as playstation.

But they are the small guys and need all the help they can get. Close to 40 studios, dozens of recognised 3rd party IP, and still we must feel bad for them.
Today I’m feeling a little French, everyone who disagrees with this deal and I think there’s a lot, should review bomb all MS apps on the App Store and google store…why stop there, review bomb all activision games,
That should send a message.

The problem is the Xbox fanbase is organized while the rest of the gaming community is not.

Spread the message!

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Today I’m feeling a little French, everyone who disagrees with this deal and I think there’s a lot, should review bomb all MS apps on the App Store and google store…why stop there, review bomb all activision games,
That should send a message.

The problem is the Xbox fanbase is organized while the rest of the gaming community is not.

Spread the message!
We can start by sending an email to the CMA after this new development.

Screenshot_20230328_020624_Samsung Notes.jpg