UK CMA Says Microsoft-Activision Deal Will 'Not Result in a Substantial Lessening of Competition'

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
A lot of green rats showing up in this thread. I wonder why......

There’s even one PC mustard race fucker in there.

P

peter42O

Open Beta today you big slut, in just over an hour's time, druid and necro are ready for play testing.

Can't wait.

Hahaha. I'm not sitting in a queue for hours just to play when the game is less than three months away (barring a delay). I'll just wait. I know the game is looking like a high 80's/low 90's on OC so im good. I can wait. :)

• thisistheway
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

I will pray for the poor souls on era over the next couple of months, the dooming is going to be god tier 😅

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Microsoft will be able to buy anything they want within about two or three years. They'll have to wait a hot minute to do something big again but if regulators wouldn't stop them now, they aren't going to stop them from buying Capcom or Sega. The door is open now, nobody gives a shit about preventing large-scale mega-consolidation.

That's the real tragedy here - this was the moment where world governments could've stopped the tide of mega-consolidation in its infancy. They allowed it to move forward, this shit isn't stopping. Within a decade there will be no independent third party publishers left, just a bunch of indie studios and shitty walled gardens.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
These provisional findings seem completely backward. Cloud gaming is still a concern but console gaming isn’t because it would be foolish if MS to pull CoD from Sony?

It’s like complete deja vu with the Zenimax deal. Did they not read that decision and then see what happened? Lol.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
TakeTwo is the only thing big enough in the publisher realm to counter this..... it makes money hand over fist with license games on all platforms and then GTA and RDR are big enough that they can be pulled from Xbox if they f around with sony.

Square.... I think should be on the table.

CDPR as a large studio to counter MSFT's strength with wrpg's.... make fully exclusive straight away.

Increase share in Kadokawa and make their games mostly exclusive too.

If Sony do not act as immediately as possible, they are fools.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
TakeTwo is the only thing big enough in the publisher realm to counter this..... it makes money hand over fist with license games on all platforms and then GTA and RDR are big enough that they can be pulled from Xbox if they f around with sony.

CDPR as a large studio to counter MSFT's strength with wrpg's.... make fully exclusive straight away.

They at the very least need to make some moves to more permanently cement themselves as the home for Japanese games between themselves and Xbox.

Firefly

25 Jul 2022

Don't worry Jim Ryan's 50 gazillion live service games will save the day.

• thinking_hard
  • haha
Reactions: Umar and Bryank75

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
So the divestment is totally out now? They were only asking that because of the console market?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
So the divestment is totally out now? They were only asking that because of the console market?

Confused Power Rangers GIF

I dunno, I wont be buying any Activision Blizzard games anyway anymore, even if they are on PS.

If the regulators are not gonna act, gamers have to take a hardline, even if it's just 10-20% of us.

24 Jun 2022

It's always funny to see them immediately downplay any chances of Sony making a publisher acquisition. Apparently only Microsoft are allowed to make those. Or have 3P exclusives. Or have Japanese exclusives. Soon, even just exclusives in general.

And then when you ask them way, their bottom lip quivers as they stutter along "B-but PS2! But Sega! B0but Tomb Raider 2!!"

Granted, I don't cheerlead Sony making acquisitions any more than I did Microsoft. But seeing as how Microsoft are on their way to making a really flippin' big acquisition and will likely try to go after more, if this is now "competition" as Satya Nadella put it, why would you be against Sony making acquisitions unless this isn't about "competition" and it's actually about starving PlayStation out of the market altogether so Xbox has no competition, since Xbox could never beat PlayStation in actual competition for the better part of 20+ years?

Like, these people should just go full mask-off now. At least they would get a smidgen's more respect.

Planetsmasher is right for the first time in his life.

That was him? Usually I don't read their posts because they are just always (needlessly) negative and pessimistic IMO. But they aren't necessarily wrong on this one.

Although I'd say the concern is much bigger than just Microsoft, because now the other big tech companies have the perfect blueprint to work with in terms of their own gaming acquisitions. And that will start to happen; Apple buying EA or Ubisoft is on the table.

All I can say is, with this mass consolidation, I can't wait to see the industry die because of it. That would be the best ironic prize for all of this greed. At least I'll have classic games and systems to enjoy once it happens.

Last edited:

EN250

17 Feb 2023
Welp, as I said from the start, money talks and MS has lots of that, so doing these "charity" deals for 10 years worked out for them, why take more than a year to reach to this conclusion?

This lets the door open for or if they can't keep "competing" with Sony, so if a 70B purchase it approved, anyone is in the menu for MS and can keep taking away multiplatform games from PlayStation