UK CMA Says Microsoft-Activision Deal Will 'Not Result in a Substantial Lessening of Competition'

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
TakeTwo is absolutely necessary to balance out this tilt in power....

They shouldn't need to offer any deal for GTA etc though, as they are once in a generation games or less....(GTAV)
Yeah that's the trap 😂 but 10 years is the precedent now

Reactions: Bryank75

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
TakeTwo is absolutely necessary to balance out this tilt in power....

They shouldn't need to offer any deal for GTA etc though, as they are once in a generation games or less....(GTAV)

I agree.
Gonna be hard to nab t2 tho. Sony will have to prove they loss market share and is now behind xb. Either that or they will have to eat some regulators remedy dick to get it approved. Forget about making T2 games exclusive through ownership, thats a pipe dream, regs wont allow it and Sony will want a win not a fight from regulators so they might even offer up parity up front.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I agree.
Gonna be hard to nab t2 tho. Sony will have to prove they loss market share and is now behind xb. Either that or they will have to eat some regulators remedy dick to get it approved. Forget about making T2 games exclusive through ownership, thats a pipe dream, regs wont allow it and Sony will want a win not a fight from regulators so they might even offer up parity up front.

They can say that Tencent is the biggest player and point to MSFT being bigtech and being allowed to buy publisher after publisher.... then reason that they only want a single publisher of a fraction of the size of Activision....

I don't think any regulator could reasonably say no after allowing MSFT / ABK through.

Of course TT asking price is the issue I see...they could ask for quite a lot.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Y'all need to chill. Not considering the wider societal impact of allowing even more market consolidation, Sony doesn't need to -do- anything to counter the acquisition.

Reactions: laynelane
D

Deleted member 417

But if it weren't true, shouldn't this have been debunked by now?
The fans are celebrating and the media is paid for. Who will do the debunking, us or them?

Now the question is do they accept behavoruial remedies for the cloud or still ask for a divestiture.

From what we've, seen the cloud will pass the regulators have not shown concern.

There's a chance, that CoD and gaming were a smoke screen to cover their intent of grabbing a big chunk of the cloud market.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Let it pass. Playstation should focus on me and people like me who give no shit about CoD or Fortnite.
Besides, does anyone believe that ABK will produce a good CoD under Microsoft?

• thisistheway
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Sony is not buying Take Two LMFAO... you guys are on serious copium right now. 🫤

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sony is not buying Take Two LMFAO... you guys are on serious copium right now. 🫤
I agree. I do think sony will respond via acquisition, though, and it's going to lead to a bad state for the industry.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm not in favor of banning words, ideas, whatever ...

But I will say the use of the term "copium" makes one look pretty stupid. Consolidation at this level is an incredibly bad thing for the industry and Microsoft is basically becoming a poison. To not be happy about that is more than valid.

Reactions: Umar

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
I'm not in favor of banning words, ideas, whatever ...

But I will say the use of the term "copium" makes one look pretty stupid. Consolidation at this level is an incredibly bad thing for the industry and Microsoft is basically becoming a poison. To not be happy about that is more than valid.
Cope harder.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
I agree. I do think sony will respond via acquisition, though, and it's going to lead to a bad state for the industry.
Sony will just continue to do them. COD isn't going anywhere... They already have many games in the works.. they'll acquire new studios for sure.. and they'll make hit games.

Almost nothing will change... except MS will make more money.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
And I'm saying they can't.
Can't how? Sony can easily buy Take Two, but I don't think they'd sell, and I think it'd be a bad idea even disregarding the effects of consolidation.

If they want to make a $40+b purchase it would be Epic Games. But again, they shouldn't and they don't need to.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Not that simple. People are too focused on the $5 billion left for acquisitions they have left. That's a budget appointed until the end next year, with changes to that budget possible if needed. After the recent ACTI news, that budget can increase several times over if they see a major acquisition is necessary. Sony's CEO even said as much.

Take 2 is worth about 20 billion, a number Sony could pay up. The issue here is that T2 probably wouldn't be willing to sell. They have a licence to print money with GTA.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
In purely financial terms, they absolutely can.

Before Sony bought Bungie nobody thoughts they'd be spending close to $4 billion on an acquisition. The scale of these things simply keep increasing.

Whether they will is a different subject matter

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Its kind of strange regilators don't see a trillion dollar conglomerate using financing from external markets to finance a purchase worth more than Nintendo and Playstation profited in the last 10 years combined as an issue

Or that they are more concerned about the effect on a non existent cloud market than they are about the one that Microsoft, Sony and Activision are all actually competing in

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Y'all need to chill. Not considering the wider societal impact of allowing even more market consolidation, Sony doesn't need to -do- anything to counter the acquisition.
Except that it’s now turned into an arms race. Sony needs the nukes to make MS play nice with them or it will be a one sided affair.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Except that it’s now turned into an arms race. Sony needs the nukes to make MS play nice with them or it will be a one sided affair.
I don't really see it, let's say microsoft goes after more acquisitions. Sega and ubisoft would want to sell... that's not really a threat.