[ UK ] PS5 sales in 2023 are up 81% YoY, Switch sales down 8% and Xbox Series S and X sales down 19%.

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

The UK games market in May was driven by the launch of one particularly big Nintendo Switch game.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom was comfortably the No.1 game in May (GSD data), and that's without Nintendo sharing digital data with the GSD charts (Nintendo is the only major company that currently withholds these figures).

It's the biggest Zelda game launch in UK history, and its lifetime sales have already surpassed most previous games in the series. It only sits behind 2006's Twilight Princess and 2017's Breath of the Wild.

Almost 35% of all Switch consoles sold in May were for the Zelda OLED version.

PS5 sales dropped 23% month-on-month, and it's the first time all year that PS5 sales were lower than they were during the same period in 2022. Xbox Series S and X sales also fell 10% in May compared with April, and are also down over the same period in 2022.

Overall, console sales are up 16.6% so far in 2023 compared with the year before, with PS5 sales up 81%, Switch sales down 8% and Xbox Series S and X sales down 19%.

The best-selling accessory continues to be the PS5 DualSense controller, although we have a new No.2 in the form of the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, boosted by the launch of the latest Zelda game.

UK GSD May 2023 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
2Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
3Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (EA)
4FIFA 23 (EA)
5Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6Dead Island 2 (Deep Silver)
7NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
8Far Cry 6 (Ubisoft)
9Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
10Tom Clacy's The Division 2 (Ubisoft)

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Down 19% on year 3 on it's second biggest market.

be-fucked.gif

24 Jun 2022
Xbox down 19 percent from last year is abysmal. Outside of the US I think its almost safe to say, Xbox is dead.

It isn't doing too much better in the U.S either. Globally it seems at best XBS is tracking at OG Xbox levels, perhaps even slightly less.

They really do need this Showcase to hit hard on multiple fronts else I think the drops in sales will continue.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Everyone focusing on Xbox bit ignoring the elephant in the room, that the PS5 sales have completely fell off. Got some push back last week for stating this but it's happening everywhere.

Playstation aren't discounting the GoW bundles for no reason.

• haha
Reactions: Swift_Star

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Everyone focusing on Xbox bit ignoring the elephant in the room, that the PS5 sales have completely fell off. Got some push back last week for stating this but it's happening everywhere.

That's normal, pent up demand was what gave us those blistering months, now they are doing discounts because they need to clear the stock on shelves and secure orders from retailers for the FF16 Spider Man 2 bundles etc etc.

Inventory turnover is very important in this game.

24 Jun 2022

How have they "completely fallen off" when they're up 81% YoY?

Has the peak period of pent-up demand passed? Possibly, yes. But you using language like 'completely fallen off', in my head, makes me think it's comparable to Xbox, and it is simply nowhere near that level of a drop. I would say PS5 sales are just settling to a normalized baseline, all PS consoles have done this.

Sales should grow again within the next few months; as to what things like their PC initiative or GaaS initiative might have in terms of negative impacts on console sales, we'll need more time to see. I don't think those things would have any negative impacts if they are handled logically & balanced well, but going off the last PS Showcase, Sony isn't managing that ATM.

I just hope some of the messiness is due to them internally adjusting some of the plans regarding the ports and heavy focus on GaaS/live-service 1P funding, better to do that now vs. later. But that's just my own thinking, and kind of veering off-topic.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022

It's almost outselling Switch and Series combined though.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
How have they "completely fallen off" when they're up 81% YoY?

Has the peak period of pent-up demand passed? Possibly, yes. But you using language like 'completely fallen off', in my head, makes me think it's comparable to Xbox, and it is simply nowhere near that level of a drop. I would say PS5 sales are just settling to a normalized baseline, all PS consoles have done this.

Sales should grow again within the next few months; as to what things like their PC initiative or GaaS initiative might have in terms of negative impacts on console sales, we'll need more time to see. I don't think those things would have any negative impacts if they are handled logically & balanced well, but going off the last PS Showcase, Sony isn't managing that ATM.

I just hope some of the messiness is due to them internally adjusting some of the plans regarding the ports and heavy focus on GaaS/live-service 1P funding, better to do that now vs. later. But that's just my own thinking, and kind of veering off-topic.
It's is up 81% YOY because of January - March? I never compared anything to Xbox so if you wanna internalize that *thought* that's a you problem. Sales for last month are below that of May of 2022 when shortages were still kicking but sure.

If sales are stabilizing then it shouldn't be constant drops month after month. But again let's see.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
PS5 sales dropped 23% month-on-month, and it's the first time all year that PS5 sales were lower than they were during the same period in 2022. Xbox Series S and X sales also fell 10% in May compared with April, and are also down over the same period in 2022.

Down YoY behind 2022 is pretty bad, by this time in 2022 PS5 was still in 3rd place behind xbox and switch. May PS5 sales are down 46% compared to March 2023.