[UPDATE: Debunked] Sony VR2 production cuts due to low pre-orders

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022

A combination of it's high price and tough economy are to blame

Sony Group Corp. reduced projections for the initial launch of its PlayStation VR2 headset dramatically after early pre-orders disappointed, signaling little improvement for the hyped-but-unproven virtual reality sector.

The company halved its forecast for shipments of the PSVR2, which is set for a Feb. 22 release, this quarter to about a million units, said people familiar with its deliberations. Sony had previously aimed to have 2 million headsets ready for the launch quarter and leverage its second-generation headset to drive user growth and adoption for VR.

The Tokyo-based electronics giant has told a supply partner to expect reduced display panel orders, according to the people, who asked not to be named as the information is not public. The company now plans to ship around 1.5 million units between this April and March next year, they added, though that figure may be adjusted further in response to demand.

Mod edit: Sony has approached gamesindustry.biz and denied the rumors.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
A peripheral more expensive than the base console is gonna be a tough sell no matter what. The enthusiasts will buy it sure, but getting it to mass adoption will be a challenge.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
I am sure the device is great, but you are being forced to spend another $500 if you want to jump into VR. As I've said previously, VR is still to expensive for majority of the consumers. I think they should have waited longer. Not surprised the pre-orders are not doing well, a lot of the titles already exist in the VR market. Horizon Call of The Mountain is not enough to cut it. They should have waited another year or 2 and released it at a cheaper price with more games.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
While it may be true, it's important to remember that Bloomberg has previously shared a similar incorrect report in the past regarding PS5.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
This is why their stupid "we won't have a show because of the Activision deal" bullshit is stupid as fuck. They're hurting their own business. A state of play focused on VR would've sold through everything.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This is why their stupid "we won't have a show because of the Activision deal" bullshit is stupid as fuck. They're hurting their own business. A state of play focused on VR would've sold through everything.
I preordered mine but I feel like they're not doing enough to market it. No showcase, no SOP, only blog no one reads. Is it because of Activision? Nobody knows but it's definitely weird.

Same for their first-party games or Hogwarts Legacy and TLOU. They're not taking advantage of anything. Silence.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
The PS VR2 will flop just like the PS VR1
Did the PS VR really flop? I wasn't really following it.

As of January 2020 PSVR1 sold 5 million Making it the Second best selling VR Headset first being Quest 2, So i wouldn't call it a flop.

D

Deleted member 417

While it may be true, it's important to remember that Bloomberg has previously shared a similar incorrect report in the past regarding PS5.

This.

This story is bogus and full of wishy washy details. Sony only planned on making 1 million headsets, so I don't know where they got the story that they are slashing them by a quarter from.

Bloomberg and Forbes have been caught out spreading FUD and lies about Sony for years.