Welcome to IconEra (Now 1,000+ Members)

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not to derail from the topic. For those like me who is unaware, what is the story behind creating Icon-Era?

I stumbled upon this site after being a lurker on GAF and REE for years but never was active on them so i dont know the full background of this site.

d9553170-bb48-41ec-949c-534e2041ccd8_text.gif

GAF (and then REE) pretty much being biased against any pro playstation discourse. Loads of people were either temp or fully banned for having an opinion. They got together and made this forum.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Not to derail from the topic. For those like me who is unaware, what is the story behind creating Icon-Era?

I stumbled upon this site after being a lurker on GAF and REE for years but never was active on them so i dont know the full background of this site.

d9553170-bb48-41ec-949c-534e2041ccd8_text.gif
I left Gaf of my own free will to join this site,

@Bryank75 promised me a clean site with no rabid fanboys like @adamsapple @Exanthus and @PropellerEar,

I was lied too

Dog Show GIF by Westminster Kennel Club

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Thanks. Everyone seemed chill so far I just never knew the background.

Here's my 2 cents on what happened and how this place was born:

Ree is a hive mind that started out from the great exodus on Neogaf. Which was a whole conspiracy basically on the Owner of NEOGAF having a scandal. People who were part of the Moderation on that site over the course of a few years were slowly doing political talk and making gaf a more political driven place with being pro-trans and all that.

They started banning people who didn't align with PRO LGBTQ in any thread regardless of topic. Tyler I believe started to see that, and was trying to make some changes. But then the scandal happened and most if not all people that were politically aligned used that scandal to promote/create Resetera. And with that used the scandal to push most of the gaming community, journalists, developers and leakers to Reset. Now over the course of 4-5 years Reset is shell of what it originally was suppose to be.
Now its 100% a hive mind of people who talk video games but use it as a ideology/political platform. They used the popularity of Video games through the amount of gafers to move it over to their site all in the name of starting over with inclusive discussion being priority.

Well after the Cybperpunk game, on top of other things, they have shown that moderation there are a bunch of lunatics mostly. Most posters on there are decent good folks who just want to talk video games most of the time. But unfortunately the undertones are that ideology comes first art comes second.
People like me went back to gaf after they had a little bit of a rebirth/reboot. It was great for a little while, but they needed more numbers. So they started just letting a lot more stuff fly. Then they nuked politics, and now you have lots of new people on there who are allowed to just sound like shills.

But it does look like thats changing now too. And I would have to assume some of that is looking at what we are doing to some of those crazy posters.
ICON-ERA was started by a group of people who believed that what gaf use to be is kind of gone. This place is what originally Gaf was. I know lots of people shit on us now, because a lot of us are Pro-playstation. But that mentality comes with who creates the site in the beginning, but you grow, site grows, you diversify.

This place is for everyone. Which is why if from any side you feel people are being dishonest or disingenuous in any way report them. This place is for talking games period.
No matter what you like or prefer this place should be a great welcoming place for you to talk about what you love in video games. What its not for though is straight cheerleading and shilling.

Mods are not exempt from this as well. If they are being cheerleaders for a plastic box/brand report them.
Seriously I'm proud of what @Bryank75 , @Dodkrake, @Sircaw and many others have helped build. It's not perfect, we still are growing as a community, and also as site runners.

Mods and teams will keep console warring in check but also you the commentators/users need to help keep them in check as well.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Thanks. Everyone seemed chill so far I just never knew the background.

Sorry, I was out for a while.

Yeah, @Dodkrake put it better than I could....
Basically we noticed a pattern in media and then a wave of bans on the forums that seemed to be for the slightest thing, while others could troll, bait and argue in bad faith but never see any disciplinary action.

We also wanted to steer away from politics and focus on gaming as much as possible.

Bans (Perm) here are usually as a last resort and we try and get to know the person a bit, see if there is something beneath any outbursts before taking action, as we live in a complicated world and depression is an epidemic that everyone suffers from at some point.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Here's my 2 cents on what happened and how this place was born:
My 2 cents on GAF and ERA: It's scary how EvilLore lets bigoted discourse run rampart and mods acuse others of gaslight for fighting it. Gaf had a whole thread about shitting The Sims 4 for allowing trans characters ffs.
It's also scary how Era bans games from discussion and bans people for making silly mistakes by misgendering and whatnot. Their thread hating FFXVI is nuts tbh.
Those places nowadays are like two sides of the same coin.

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Sorry, I was out for a while.

Yeah, @Dodkrake put it better than I could....
Basically we noticed a pattern in media and then a wave of bans on the forums that seemed to be for the slightest thing, while others could troll, bait and argue in bad faith but never see any disciplinary action.

We also wanted to steer away from politics and focus on gaming as much as possible.

Bans (Perm) here are usually as a last resort and we try and get to know the person a bit, see if there is something beneath any outbursts before taking action, as we live in a complicated world and depression is an epidemic that everyone suffers from at some point.
Thanks for the follow up. Sorry for derailing from the main topic.

As I said I had an account for both for GAF and RE-ERA years and I would just scan the thread titles for news headlines and never really interacted. I just didnt enjoy talking about games on those forums because it was just about misinformation in the gaming community and politics so I would just look at the topics and bounce.

Ive interacted her more than I have on the others because like I said everyone seemed cool so far and this place is not a hivemind where everyone has to enjoy the same things to belong. Yes i prefer Sony for my gaming but i dont have animosity towards those who dont feel the same as long as you enjoy what you like without the need to constantly share misinformation to feel good about the brand you prefer.