What does Sony need to realistically release next year to stay ahead of the competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Seems like the killing blow this year came with God of War, even if Sony doesn’t get another Keighly GOTY win SIE as a publisher is walking out of this year in first place. They absolutely killed it.

And this isn’t even counting the good 3rd party games. What do you think they need to release next year in order to stay ahead of everyone else, knowing xbox is releasing big games like Forza reboot, Starfield, Redfall, Minecraft Legends…possibly more

Nintendo is releasing Tears of The Kingdom and who knows what else but just that a lone puts them on the board for GOTY.

My Opinion: I think if Sony can release Spider-man 2 and Factions with the combination of Final Fantasy 16, that alone probably makes it a better year than this year even if none of those games score as high as Ragnarok.

Then you add in the PSVR2 launch, Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, etc.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Seems like the killing blow this year came with God of War, even if Sony doesn’t get another Keighly GOTY win SIE as a publisher is walking out of this year in first place. They absolutely killed it.

And this isn’t even counting the good 3rd party games. What do you think they need to release next year in order to stay ahead of everyone else, knowing xbox is releasing big games like Forza reboot, Starfield, Redfall, Minecraft Legends…possibly more

Nintendo is releasing Tears of The Kingdom and who knows what else but just that a lone puts them on the board for GOTY.

My Opinion: I think if Sony can release Spider-man 2 and Factions with the combination of Final Fantasy 16, that alone probably makes it a better year than this year even if none of those games score as high as Ragnarok.

Then you add in the PSVR2 launch, Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, etc.

I don't know what they have behind the curtain but i am sure it's going to be amazing.

They have my full faith that they are going to deliver big time.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Hobbygaming

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Even if they don't do anything, they will stay ahead.

Having said that, FFXVI and Spider-Man 2 are more than enough to counter whatever games competitors bring out. But I'm sure Sony will have at least 2 more big games/surprises in 2023.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
As far as I remember (pretty likely I forget many more) they already have announced a good amount of 2023 exclusives of different types:
  • Tchia
  • Forspoken
  • Street Fighter 6 (exclusive in previous gen)
  • RE4R (exclusive in previous gen, VR stuff)
  • RE Village (VR stuff)
  • Among Us (VR stuff)
  • No Man's Sky (VR stuff)
  • Horizon CoM
  • Firewall Ultra
  • Destiny 2 Lightfall (multi)
  • MLB 23 (multi)
  • FFXVI
  • Spider-Man 2
  • FFVII Rebirth
  • Stellar Blade
  • KOTOR remake?
  • TLOU online?
Nintendo will have Zelda, and MS will have Skyrim or Forza. But I think that like every year Sony will have a bigger and more diverse amount of cool exclusives or 1st party stuff. And well, I'm pretty sure Sony will announce several 2023 exclusives more specially at E3.

Last edited:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Without taking in consideration my backlog and any leftovers from 2022 (like FF7 Rebirth), by march I will have (hopefully) completed Forspoken and Hogwarts and (again hopefully) be immersed in one or two PSVR games. FF16 and Spider-Man 2 in addition to that, and it's already an amazing year.

• party
Reactions: Hobbygaming

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Starfield is the only big game MS really has next year.

The fact Redfall has to be listed as a big game.. after the abysmyal start to the gen.. in year 3 of the gen..

Is really sad lol

But for me Starfield + Spiderman + BOTW 2 is just an awesome year to be a gamer who owns every platform. Lots of other icing on the cake as well, but those are the biggies for me personally. TLOU Online has me super interested but I'm not much on "new" MP games.. I play Smite pretty much exclusively as far as my online fun goes.

Sony is going to have just about every crown though as far as metrics IMO.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Well hopefully more than TLOU Factions 2 and Spiderman 2 from the 1st party on PS5, otherwise thats gonna be not so great.
Multiplats and VR isn’t the same as having GT7, Horizon 2, TLOU Remake and GOWR.

FF16 and Forspoken is great but Im talking 1st Party PS5 exclusives Sony need to show more/do more

Reactions: Bryank75

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
weird question.
But they dont need to do to much, they have plenty in the pipeline that other competition cant compete with.

Reactions: Bryank75
P

peter42O

First party wise, im expecting Horizon Forbidden West expansion (which I wish would be standalone), TLOU Factions, Lost Soul Aside, Stellar Blade, Helldivers 2 and Spider Man 2. Including third party deals, there's Forspoken and Final Fantasy XVI to fill out the gaps. And of course PSVR 2.

Barring any delays, they have plenty. Some of which im expecting to get revealed at The Game Awards.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Spiderman 2 will be the most popular game of the year next year

The Last of Us Factions will be massive and likely to continue Naughty Dog AAA success while overhauling our expectations of what can be done in multiplayer

I think this is where Sony really start to pull the veil back on future games - once the last cross gen game in Ragnarok is out

Some games I could see making it into 2023 are

- The next Bluepoint game
- Kojimas game
- Next Team Asobi game
- Bend Studios next game
- Firesprite rumoured Twisted Metal
- Next MediaMolecule game
- Firewalk game
- Deviation game

While I could see the next Tsushima game, Guerilla Games multiplayer, Wolverine, new Bungie IP, the next Naughty Dog SP game, and Cory Barlogs next game also grabbing headlines with big unveiling but probably looking at 2024 or beyond

• thisistheway

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Some exclusives/first party games I think they may announce for 2023 release (even if I think many of them would be more realistic to expect them for 2024):
  • TLOU MP game
  • Guerrilla's game directed by the Rainbow 6 Siege + Killzone 2 MP
  • London Studio's fantasy co-op MP game
  • Ballistic Moon's unannounced game
  • Bungie new IP (one of the multiple ones they are working on)
  • Helldivers 2
  • MLB 23
  • Firesprite non-Horizon CoM game
  • Bluepoint's 'original content' (if in addition to help in GoWR they have other project, I'd bet they are working on a DLC/extra content for a known IP because they didn't mention 'game' or 'new IP')
  • Some Insomniac small VR experiences or tech demos (not full games)
  • Team Asobi's 3D action game
  • Ratchet 2016 PC port (due to anniversary)
  • TLOU 2 PS5+PC port SKUs (due to tv show)
  • Bloodborne Remaster (PS5 + time later PC port)
  • Returnal PC port
  • Dreams PSVR2/PC port
I think they won't release in 2023 at all:
  • Next Uncharted / TLOU 3 / ND new IP
  • Ghost of Tsushima 2
  • Death Stranding 2
  • SSM Cory's new IP
  • Bend's new IP
  • Haven's first game
  • Housemarque's next game
  • Media Molecule's next game
  • Any possible unannounced non-VR Insomniac game
  • Pixelopus game codeveloped with Sony Pictures Animation
And well, these are the games we can see coming. Consider that there are more that may be announced and we don't see coming. As could be some 2nd party game with someone who didn't partenered with them in that way (as happened with Stellar Blade or Rise of the Ronin) or via some important acquisition they could do during the current H2 of the fiscal year. Or with some big 3rd party exclusive that they didn't announce and we expect to be multi because of its series or developer, or another super cool indie that PlayStation indies can sign as (timed? console?) exclusive.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Spiderman 2 90+ Metacritic
Factions
Helldivers 2
Death Stranding 2
Surprise first party games
PS5 redesign / slim model (possible price reduction)
A bunch of quality third party exclusives

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Nothing, Singh is obviously closing up shop.

Also, you can't release GoW Ragnarok and HFW in the same year as GT7.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Spiderman 2 90+ Metacritic
Factions
Helldivers 2
Death Stranding 2
Surprise first party games
PS5 redesign / slim model (possible price reduction)
A bunch of quality third party exclusives
I dont think Spiderman 2 is a 90+ game unless they blow us away with some stuff never done before

• they're_right_you_know
Status
Not open for further replies.