AMD RDNA 5 To Be A Completely New GPU Architecture From The Ground Up, RDNA 4 Mostly Fixes RDNA 3 Issues & Improves Ray Tracing.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

AMD's next-generation RDNA 5 GPUs are going to be built from the ground up and will aim to be the "Zen" moment for the Radeon division.

AMD Radeon Might Have To Wait Till RDNA 5 To Have Their "Zen" Moment As RDNA 4 GPUs Mostly A Tweak With Improved Ray Tracing​

The leaker states that AMD's plans with the RDNA 3 GPU lineup didn't go as expected. The issues with RDNA 3 were caused by the final silicon not meeting internal performance projections and it was evident that the efficiency increase wasn't necessarily as much as it was hyped up to be. The NVIDIA "Ada" GPUs on the other hand destroyed AMD RDNA 3 chips in efficiency figures across all segments. Furthermore, AMD had to tone down its initial designs which were going to incorporate up to 192 MB of Infinity Cache to just 96 MB due to cost and power constraints.

The GPU generation following RDNA 4 is expected to be built on a brand new architecture designed from the ground up and it isn't even known if AMD will retain the RDNA 5 branding for it or switch to something entirely new. The promise of the "Zen" moment has long been awaited in the Radeon family and RDNA 5 is expected to be just that.

AMD will be conducting a full case study and R&D when designing the next-gen architecture. RDNA 5 is also said to be the primary reason why RDNA 4 is being cut off so much so that more time can be put into perfecting the generation that comes after it all the while offering a mainstream series that doesn't require lots of development costs. The GPU architecture is also rumored to be used in the next-gen Medusa APU lineup featuring Zen 6 cores.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I'm open to it, I didn't feel like there was nothing special about the last NVidia series of GPUs, bought one after so much hype and wish I had stuck to AMD.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It better be. I want to buy AMD because nvidia has become so greedy but it's hard to support when it feels like they haven't invested in catching up. FSR 3.1 will be a big test.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It better be. I want to buy AMD because nvidia has become so greedy but it's hard to support when it feels like they haven't invested in catching up. FSR 3.1 will be a big test.
NVidia is 10 times the size of AMD now, it's not a matter of not investing.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
RDNA3 was a step back compared to RDNA2/RDNA.
They had to build RDNA4 to fix RDNA3.

Now they are working in a new arch… maybe they can finally delivery RT on our with nVidia.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
NVidia is 10 times the size of AMD now, it's not a matter of not investing.
Sure, but that's not all. AMD has been very lax in internal development on the software side. Often they just let the engineers do what they want. Which is fine sometimes, but leads to a lack of focus. Also they prioritize open-source software too much and try to rely on other people to do their job for them. Open source is fine in a sense because free software makes it easy for corporations to adopt as a cost-saving measure which pries potential customers from nvidia, but if the open-source software isn't supported well-enough (like rocm until recently) then no one uses it anyway.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Lets hope its indeed their Ryzen moment. Time to bring a big leap in APUs, low end and mid range dedicated GPUs. Long overdue. Feels like we are stuck since 2019 on price performance or even worse.
2080 like performance should be the new low end in 2024.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Lets hope its indeed their Ryzen moment. Time to bring a big leap in APUs, low end and mid range dedicated GPUs. Long overdue. Feels like we are stuck since 2019 on price performance or even worse.
2080 like performance should be the new low end in 2024.
7600xt/4060 are already 2080 level performance. The new low end needs to be 4070 performance with 12gb vram, for $300 instead of $600

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
True low end as in 180 USD or less I meant. That segment is served by used GPUs now it seems.
That segment is dead. Gpu makers don't make any money there so they only make trash tier gpus for that. Well there's always intel lmao