Ghost of Tsushima broke the Steam CCU record for any Sony SP PC game

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Progress of the review bombing is 86% positive reviews:
image.png

8509 reviews, my estimate is over 200K units sold in the first day.

So far 61,453 CCU peak, very close to pass Spider-Man and become the top 2 CCU for a Sony SP game.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I dont think 57k concurent players is impressive
For a SP it is, specially for being the first day and considering it's a full priced port of an old game. Pretty likely will sell some millions of copies, like GoW, Horizon or Spider-Man. Pretty likely will be the top 2 SP Sony best selling game on Steam.

So much about boycotting it because PSN, huh?
Very close to have the top 2 CCU peak for a Sony SP game before the first weekend and 86% positive reviews so far.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Pc gamers have some ultra asshole day with this game. I see so many posts bragging how much Better it is than on ps5 and how ps5 is 30fps 4k shit… the toxic pcmr community is so sure of themselves after won hd2 battle, that they don’t even realize how wrong they are.
I expect df video to show 0 differences aside from 120fps and higher res when you zoom in.
But the smugness of some people
Is astounding. They act like they’ve taken someone else’s toy lol.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
I wish this didn't affect Ghost of Tsushima like it did, it would likely have more players if they didn't delist it from that many countries around the world.

& now so many more people will feel good pirating PS studios games.

The Helldivers thing is just an oversight by all of them, but then they roll it back & still don't relist it for some reason.

It's incompetence.

& then for absolutely no reason they delist Ghost of Tshushima which doesn't require PSN link at all, only for the Legends mode, when it was listed because the entire single player experience doesn't require it.

Which is like Double incompetence.

Sony is great at running Playstation, making games, giving studios and partners resources and not rushing them, but this was a pure mess which they don't even seem to be fixing.

Sony should learn from this & do better.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
As I expected. no difference whatsoever.

Also, no loading on ps5 vs 5 seconds on pc.

But how!? I've already been schooled and attacked by pcmr that pc versions is SO MUCH BETTER !!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Entropi and Umar

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
So many people were delusional in suggesting that Nixxes was a bad buy, when it is going to be one of the best purchases Sony has ever made.

I wonder how many years it would have taken Sony to get to this point with an internal team and again its allowed internal studios to focus on PS5s versions of their games.

I still wonder if they'll buy Jetpack Interactive and maybe bring them together with the Nixxes team. I wonder who will be doing God of War Ragnarok. Jetpack or Nixxes.

I also wonder if Nixxes will start doing MacOS ports, I haven't seen any indication of that from job listings though.

Sony is turning in to a major publisher on PC. They have 3 of the best top selling games on Steam right now between Ghost of Tsushima, Helldivers 2, and Destiny 2.

Getting Helldivers 2 on MacOS would be a major boon for it, I'm surprised they haven't even announced it. Weird that Apple advertises Dual Sense support, but Sony doesn't at all focus on MacOS support.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
So many people were delusional in suggesting that Nixxes was a bad buy, when it is going to be one of the best purchases Sony has ever made.

I wonder how many years it would have taken Sony to get to this point with an internal team and again its allowed internal studios to focus on PS5s versions of their games.

I still wonder if they'll buy Jetpack Interactive and maybe bring them together with the Nixxes team. I wonder who will be doing God of War Ragnarok. Jetpack or Nixxes.

I also wonder if Nixxes will start doing MacOS ports, I haven't seen any indication of that from job listings though.

Sony is turning in to a major publisher on PC. They have 3 of the best top selling games on Steam right now between Ghost of Tsushima, Helldivers 2, and Destiny 2.

Getting Helldivers 2 on MacOS would be a major boon for it, I'm surprised they haven't even announced it. Weird that Apple advertises Dual Sense support, but Sony doesn't at all focus on MacOS support.
Yeah alot of ppl wrote them off and said why?

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Yeah alot of ppl wrote them off and said why?

You've got a few different camps, but primarily you have people who were just angry that Sony was doing PC ports in the first place. They'd rather see the money spent on single player games, but what they don't understand is that the returns here are astronomical compared to new game development.

Nixxes can port a game to PC for a couple million dollars and get a return of 10s if not hundreds of millions of dollars. If a game like Ghost of Tsushima sells just 4 million copies on PC at an average cost of 25 dollars per copy, that's 100 million dollars in revenue. 20% more or less going to Valve and less development fees and marketing you're looking at at least 65-70 million in pure profit.

For 2-5 million dollars you can probably cover the entire development budget or at least half of it of a AAA game.

But they keep asking, why do they keep putting AAA SP games on PC? These games don't even need to sell at full price. They have long shelf lives. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart was just high up there in the sales chart when it went on sale.

Let's say a game like Rift Apart drops to 5 dollars at some point and sells a million copies at that price point. It would still pay for the port job...

The economics of porting games to PC makes perfect sense and by requiring PSN login, Sony can better estimate whether any ACTUAL damage is being done. i.e. is this person a new PSN user or someone who registered PSN and then logged into a PS3, PS4, or PS5. It's all about getting that telemetry data, which better informs them as to how long they should wait to drop games on PC.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I wish this didn't affect Ghost of Tsushima like it did, it would likely have more players if they didn't delist it from that many countries around the world.

& now so many more people will feel good pirating PS studios games.

That would've been a rather negligible presence(at least at launch prices) but yeah just the general vibes are off for the PC userbase when it comes to SIE.

A real offender right now when it comes to possible CCU peaks is the the regional pricing for GoT in China(and others of course). Y'know, the largest PC market in Asia/world that doesn't have that much console spending.

Also... You know what also drives pirating? Very high prices.

Here's the regional pricing for China.

Ghost of Tsushima -8.16%

Here's some of the discounted RPGs/Open world games that got discounted the day before or the same day as GoT(unlucky, especially when it comes to CP2077 and BG3).

CP2077 -31.22%
BG3 -31.23%
TW3 -48.38%
AC Odyssey -48.38%

8% vs 31-48% depending on the titles.

Folks are going to see that 55$ USD and be like: Yeah nah dawg, that's either a pirate and/or a deep discount in a few years if I feel like it. You're missing on a lot of potential Day 1 one sales right there.

Same with countries like
Ghost of Tsushima

Uruguay -4.89%
Brazil -18.39%

Compared to CP2077

Uruguay -30.87%
Brazil -34.71%

And so on...

People here and across the industry have noticed that good price points are extremely important for people jumping in.
We see it with Indies on Steam, selling millions of units at like 10-15$ USD.
The $40 dollars with Helldivers 2 was surely a big part of that as well, then why are all the singleplayer games on PC from SIE at absurd prices for a lot of countries with a less powerful currency?

But nah, they've trying to get Asia/Latin American and a bunch of the world to spend $48-55 USD for a game.

• they're_right_you_know

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
New peak established again this morning. And the weekend only began. Itll outperform Spider-Man and may even overthrow GoW.

Reactions: mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Conversely, Sony can also tell with PSN telemetry data whether or not someone jumps from PC to PlayStation. Say they register their account and play on PC and play Spider-Man Remastered and then their account links data to Spider-Man 2 on console...

You can also see what kind of gamers and how many are double dipping and the timelines in which they're likely to double dip or less likely to double dip.

That's why Sony has the PSN requirement and why they're not so quickly backing off not requiring it in some countries, because the next step would be people complaining about some countries not having the requirement and some having it.

Sony needs that data to make more informed decisions.

As for why Sony doesn't use denuvo, I think there are some arguments against it.

• First being the cost. You sell 5 million copies of a game, and you're already looking at 2.5 million in denuvo activation fees and that's on top of 25K per month per game. That's 300K dollars per year PER game.
    • That might make more sense if you're releasing only one or two games per year, but when you're releasing significantly more that really starts to add up.
    • Endusers use to ask why my company didn't pay for insurance on their iphones and ipads and why we just bought new ones when an enduser broke or lost their phones. When you add up the cost of insurance on each device, it's far cheaper to just replace broken ones.
  • You take a performance hit on the games, which might cause people who actually want to buy the game not to
  • The people who were going to pirate the game were probably never going to buy the game in the first place, so it's not like you can simply count them as lost sales.
    • The math would be the amount of people who would actually buy it versus the people who won't buy it due to performance issues minus the cost that the DRM actually costs you

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
That would've been a rather negligible presence(at least at launch prices) but yeah just the general vibes are off for the PC userbase when it comes to SIE.

A real offender right now when it comes to possible CCU peaks is the the regional pricing for GoT in China(and others of course). Y'know, the largest PC market in Asia/world that doesn't have that much console spending.

Also... You know what also drives pirating? Very high prices.

Here's the regional pricing for China.

Ghost of Tsushima -8.16%

Here's some of the discounted RPGs/Open world games that got discounted the day before or the same day as GoT(unlucky, especially when it comes to CP2077 and BG3).

CP2077 -31.22%
BG3 -31.23%
TW3 -48.38%
AC Odyssey -48.38%

8% vs 31-48% depending on the titles.

Folks are going to see that 55$ USD and be like: Yeah nah dawg, that's either a pirate and/or a deep discount in a few years if I feel like it. You're missing on a lot of potential Day 1 one sales right there.

Same with countries like
Ghost of Tsushima

Uruguay -4.89%
Brazil -18.39%

Compared to CP2077

Uruguay -30.87%
Brazil -34.71%

And so on...

People here and across the industry have noticed that good price points are extremely important for people jumping in.
We see it with Indies on Steam, selling millions of units at like 10-15$ USD.
The $40 dollars with Helldivers 2 was surely a big part of that as well, then why are all the singleplayer games on PC from SIE at absurd prices for a lot of countries with a less powerful currency?

But nah, they've trying to get Asia/Latin American and a bunch of the world to spend $48-55 USD for a game.

Ghost of Tsushima is the best selling full priced game in China. So again, the argument doesn't carry much weight. The people who were going to pirate wouldn't buy it for 10-15 dollars less, they were probably going to pirate it anyways. People who are into pirating games probably aren't going to buy a game for any price, unless there are elements making pirating it less worth it, i.e. online features that won't work on pirated copies or in game MTX.