Sony reverses position & will no longer require PSN account linking for Helldivers 2. Must take the right lessons from this fiasco.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Just admit Sony made a mistake. This a chance for them to be better. Even the worst fanboy will admit they have issues with communicating.
i said it before, they had to make a bigger warning under the price, with the warning about Delayed Link-In with PSN account.
that's all you can do.
even if they done it, people would still bought the game. people are bound to 'fuck around to found out'.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Love the tribalistic mentality of Steamtards, they tell themselves that their Epic, Battle.net, Ubisoft, EA, xbox accounts, etc. are somehow "pure" and "safe", but they don't want to have a "filthy"PSN one.

Tell me what a xenophobic asshole you are without telling me what a xenophobic asshole you are.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
AAA games budgets get way more expensive evey new generation.

This generation, with new AAA games going above $300M, and considering Sony gets on average aprox. around $34 or less per copy sold they should sell over 9-10M copies to be profitable.

It means big AAA SP console exclusive games with the sales scale of Bloodborne, Death Stranding, Dreams or Days Gone wouldn't be profitable.

Meaning, if Sony would have continue locked to SP games exclusive to their console would have needed to stop making big AAA games outside their super seller IPs like GoW, Horizon, TLOU, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Uncharted and Spider-Man.

Having PC and GaaS increases the revenue and profitability that their 1st party games have. Which keeps them less pressure on the profitability of the projects.

GaaS and PC have absolutely no negative effect to PlayStation: its active userbase keeps breaking all time records, its software revenue keeps breaking all time records, its game sub revenue keeps breaking all time records and their console only releases keep breaking all time records (and particularly with sequels of games ported to PC). So if there is any effect of Sony's GaaS and PC strategy on PS is positive.
My man the big sales that pc ports you talk about bring in is 2 million copies sold over 3 years. The records that keep being broken by the pc players you talk about are the cheap 20-40$ games not 70-80$ games. PC users have absolute shite taste in games - they buy sons of forest, ark, and the multitude hogwash of survival clones along with hentai games. There is a reason the coomer meme always shows a fat dude in front of a pc. The growth point becomes moot if the base is destroyed, Sony expecting to sell tens of millions of consoles and peripherals while continuing to sell on pc is cute in theory. The consequences won't show up immediately, they will show up when ps6 and then later ps7 roll around. Sony will never be able to dethrone steam as the de facto marketplace on PC and will continue to bleed customers from their own marketplace on PSN if they continue on this route. But planning for the future instead of looking for immediate profits is too big a task for Totoki and co I guess.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and Gediminas

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
My man the big sales that pc ports you talk about bring in is 2 million copies sold over 3 years. The records that keep being broken by the pc players you talk about are the cheap 20-40$ games not 70-80$ games. PC users have absolute shite taste in games - they buy sons of forest, ark, and the multitude hogwash of survival clones along with hentai games. There is a reason the coomer meme always shows a fat dude in front of a pc. The growth point becomes moot if the base is destroyed, Sony expecting to sell tens of millions of consoles and peripherals while continuing to sell on pc is cute in theory. The consequences won't show up immediately, they will show up when ps6 and then later ps7 roll around. Sony will never be able to dethrone steam as the de facto marketplace on PC and will continue to bleed customers from their own marketplace on PSN if they continue on this route. But planning for the future instead of looking for immediate profits is too big a task for Totoki and co I guess.
The big PC sales I say are a high increase of revenue every year as they keep releasing more stuff on PC, generating around half a billion of dollars in the most recent fiscal year.

And will continue growing in the current one thanks to more PC ports, discounts of the previous one and the GaaS releases of Helldivers 2, Destiny 2 The Final Shape or Concord.

Sony was in Steam the top 20 publisher in FY22. Pretty likely thanks to Helldivers 2 in FY22 they will have climbed way higher in that ranking. And after the current FY24 will be even higher. So in a year from now they'll be one of the very top PC publishers, and who knows if even the top one. So yes, their PC storefront will make a lot of sense, specially if they use their userbase and catalog from PS to back it (as would be to implement cross-buy and cross-save in all the games available only in their PC and console PSN stores).

All this while their console numbers keep growing and breaking new records. As an example, the accesories you mention: Sony is also breaking all time records with accesories revenue.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
All this while their console numbers keep growing and breaking new records. As an example, the accesories you mention: Sony is also breaking all time records with accesories revenue.
You are talking about right now I am talking about 5+ years in the future, we can agree to disagree but Sony will continue to bleed console sales and not even reach ps4 numbers unless they release generation defining games which they can but the odds for that happening are pretty low

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You are talking about right now I am talking about 5+ years in the future, we can agree to disagree but Sony will continue to bleed console sales and not even reach ps4 numbers unless they release generation defining games which they can but the odds for that happening are pretty low
You say "will continue to bleed console sales" but console sales aren't bleeding.

As of the most recent reported quarter they are launch aligned are almost, almost at PS4 levels (meaning their all time high record levels), even if during a long period were supply constrained due to lack of components.

Plus they have a record number of players still engaged in the previous gen (PS4), meaning in the second half of the PS5 lifetime pretty likely there will be a higher number than usual of people upgrading from PS4 to PS5.

Plus they are expanding their fanbase with the movie/tv show adaptations, PC market and in the mid term mobile gaming market.

So I'm pretty confident that PS5 will end selling above way above PS4 numbers.