@Sony should stop using AMD chips and instead partner with Nvidia for PlayStation 7

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
AMD is on a falling branch.

While some of that fall reflects an inevitable cyclical downturn in revenues from games consoles—put simply, the consoles have been out for a while and sales are beginning to flag—AMD also conceded that "lower AMD Radeon GPU sales" were also to blame.
They just seem not be able to overcome the jump to Nvidia's brilliance. I am feeling not so confident about AMD. AMD had their prime before Nvidia did bloom. At leadt two decades ago. How would you feel about Sony partnering with Nvidia for the PS7?

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I assume PlayStation and Xbox have PTSD from dealing with Nvidia in the past.

As Nvidia gets bigger, gaming becomes less and less of revenue factor, and the thin margins on consoles, it will be difficult to get a decent deal out of them.

Last edited:
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I assume PlayStation and Xbox have PTSD from dealing with Nvidia in the past.

As Nvidia gets bigger, gaming becomes less and less of revenue factor, and the thin margins on consoles, it will be difficult to get a decent deal out of them.
Didn't Microsoft fuck Nvidia over by using a Nvidia graphics card for the prototypes & then switching to AMD at the last second & Nvidia only found out about when the console was announced & they said it uses AMD 😂

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Didn't Microsoft fuck Nvidia over by using a Nvidia graphics card for the prototypes & then switching to AMD at the last second & Nvidia only found out about when the console was announced & they said it uses AMD 😂

Ah, I didn’t know this. Was it for the Xbone?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
That's one way to kill their console business. Of all companies in the world NVidia should be the last one for Sony to trust.

NVidia can't even make x86 APUs.

Intel would actually be an interesting one give how desperate they would be to close a deal like this at this point.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
AMD is preparing Strix Halo, a PC APU that competes with the M4 Max. It's a 40-100W laptop chip with 16 Zen5 + 4 Zen5LP cores, support for up to 128GB LPDDR5X 256bit and an embedded GPU with 32MB LLC that should put the PS5 and Series X to shame at 16 TFLOPs (32 TF dual-issue).

Radeon GPUs aren't going anywhere. That article is terrible and the author should feel bad for writing a terrible article.

All this crap is probably going away as soon as the Switch 2 comes out and people get to see how good Nvidia became at low-power gaming, after 5 years of being dedicated to behemoth chips focused on AI that seem to run games as a side gig.
It'll be fun to watch people's reactions to Switch 2 (2025) vs. Steam Deck (2022) comparisons.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
On the contrary, if AMD is more and more dependent on Sony for business, it gives Sony more leverage to get better deals and more customization etc.

Sony might look at the ARM chips as a potential alternative depending on how tech progresses.

But using the same tech as phones creates issues too.... especially with AAA games beginning to appear on iPhone