Helldivers 2 will require Steam players to sign in with PSN account, led to review bombing games & refunds. |UP| Gamers organizing to revert reviews.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Arrowhead just threw Sony under the bus
GMuWh8XWQAAsLPa
GMstgx7WoAAtjyI
Sony needs to force PSN requirements to all games outside PS console after dealing with this fiasco & delist these games of Steam & Epic & make them exclusive to the PS PC launcher & allow players who own the game to play the game on the PS PC launcher

& stop doing PC port on these singleplayer game that barely sells & diminishes your own platform & storefront

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Amateurish is an understatement, how tf did it spiral out of control like this??

Yuh Sony needs to delist these games of Steam & Epic fuck both of them. Jim said PC/Steam are direct competitors yet giving them your own exclusive. When is CSGO coming to PS fuck em.

Wake up Sony holy crazy how Sony did a complete 180 with those generation it was so easy to continue success for the long term seemingly Nintendo understands

• haha
Reactions: Banana

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
For those that are asking “why didn’t Sony do this at launch”? I think they wanted to, but since the game was having launch issues, they wanted to let Arrowhead focus on fixing the game’s issues, than forcing that on them.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Yuh Sony needs to delist these games of Steam & Epic fuck both of them. Jim said PC/Steam are direct competitors yet giving them your own exclusive. When is CSGO coming to PS fuck em.

Wake up Sony holy crazy how Sony did a complete 180 with those generation it was so easy to continue success for the long term seemingly Nintendo understands
What are you talking about? Lol Nintendo made stupid decisions with the N64, GameCube, and Wii U. They were saved by the Switch. Nintendo is not immune to stupid decisions either.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Sony put them in a bad position.
Yeah. They put them in a position to make their most successful game ever, and put more money in their pockets by giving them freedom and time to make their game. F that. You don’t throw your publisher under the bus. No matter how stupid a decision they made.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Nintendo has IP that could work in a mobile setting, Sony doesn't.... There was a God of War mobile game in the past, it was a waste of time.
Not entirely true Sony can make a Diablo competitor using the GOW, Demon Souls, Bloodborne ip & make it playable on PS & Mobile similar to games like Diablo immortal, Genshin or Hoyoverse new game that will release across mobile & ps relatively at the same release time (Sony can make simultaneously) Gran Turismo Mobile even translating Helldivers 2 to Mobile like having the mobile version being top down like HD1 but have the same progression & everything HD2 on PS has like cod mobile/cod warzone has integrated progression with mainline COD

Sony should buy more developers & publishers to gain ip for gaming & studios to make different games that can release on PS & Mobile simultaneously

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Yes. Steam has your best interest in mind, not the developer, you the gamer. If your case is reasonable and you are legit cannot play the game or don't want to for valid reasons. Steam refunds you.

Steam's number one priority is gamers, that is, in fact, a good business.

Steam's refund policy came into effect after they lost lawsuits and had to pay millions as a consequence. Here is an example:

They were under fire for a long time for selling broken games, games that wouldn't launch, etc. and refusing to provide refunds. Believing that their number one priority is gamers is sentiment and I mean that respectfully. That aside, as a person who plays on PS, I wish that these kinds of actions were taken against Sony too. Their refund policy is basically non-existent and that is unacceptable.

24 Jun 2022
It'll go down even more and that's not counting all the money lost with refunds.

It just pisses me off, how idiotic this is and how easily it could have been avoided.

Yeah. The way SIE went about this has mid '90s SEGA shades all over it. It's that bad.

Even if it's some 4D chess move to get back towards focusing intently on their own hardware (I doubt it), they could've handled it better than this. They didn't need to potentially damage their partnership with Arrowhead and get an entire legion of Steam fanboys, Xbox console warriors, shills/astroturfers and the media against them in one fell swoop with a move like this.

If that next Showcase isn't an absolute generation-defining thing (in a good way), we might start looking back on this moment as the beginning of PlayStation's gradual decline. They've got a large subset of PC gamers now distrusting them as a publisher, rightly or wrongly it doesn't matter. But now they might have just made some of their core console owners paranoid about what fukshit they could try pulling on them going forward, and that's not a place you want to be as a platform holder.

Ask SEGA. Ask Microsoft. You just don't want to be in that situation ever.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
It's kind of wild to see people try to make this out to be not a big deal. The game launched without a forced linking and while the reasoning makes sense, why did Sony continue to sell in regions they do not support, all the while knowing that they will reinstate the mandatory linking of the PSN account? People who bought the game in those countries are now getting refunds from Steam no matter the hours played because they can't play it anymore due to Sony's incompetence.

If someone tries to pull up any other Xbox game that requires you to make a Microsoft account, the key difference is that they didn't let you play the game for MONTHS without creating one.

PlayStation only supports ~70 countries.
Microsoft supports ~190 countries.

(Used Microsoft because they have you create a Microsoft account, not an Xbox account)

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
It's kind of wild to see people try to make this out to be not a big deal. The game launched without a forced linking and while the reasoning makes sense, why did Sony continue to sell in regions they do not support, all the while knowing that they will reinstate the mandatory linking of the PSN account? People who bought the game in those countries are now getting refunds from Steam no matter the hours played because they can't play it anymore due to Sony's incompetence.

If someone tries to pull up any other Xbox game that requires you to make a Microsoft account, the key difference is that they didn't let you play the game for MONTHS without creating one.

PlayStation only supports ~70 countries.
Microsoft supports ~190 countries.

(Used Microsoft because they have you create a Microsoft account, not an Xbox account)
They can play it nothing is stopping them from creating a playstation account & choosing the country they want provided they use the right currency

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Issue isn’t listed.

Probably an exception like from a non PSN supported country.

Good luck getting a refund in Europe and USA after 100 hours.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Yeah. The way SIE went about this has mid '90s SEGA shades all over it. It's that bad.

Even if it's some 4D chess move to get back towards focusing intently on their own hardware (I doubt it), they could've handled it better than this. They didn't need to potentially damage their partnership with Arrowhead and get an entire legion of Steam fanboys, Xbox console warriors, shills/astroturfers and the media against them in one fell swoop with a move like this.

If that next Showcase isn't an absolute generation-defining thing (in a good way), we might start looking back on this moment as the beginning of PlayStation's gradual decline. They've got a large subset of PC gamers now distrusting them as a publisher, rightly or wrongly it doesn't matter. But now they might have just made some of their core console owners paranoid about what fukshit they could try pulling on them going forward, and that's not a place you want to be as a platform holder.

Ask SEGA. Ask Microsoft. You just don't want to be in that situation ever.

I'm not sure I agree that this is an incident that could result in the decline of PS. MS, for example, made moves (XBone) that directly impacted their console audience and then were completely tone-deaf in their response (initially). There were also multiple other issues too - a huge one being a compelling game line-up over the course of many years. The HD2 debacle is, imo, not even remotely similar in scale. As well, PC gamers are not a monolith. No doubt many are invested in what is happening with HD2, but there's also going to be many who are not. For example, a person who did not purchase HD2 is not directly impacted by this and may not care much as a result.

I also think there are many people who play on PS who don't know or don't care about what happens in the PC space with PS games. The number of people online is not a good reflection of the far vaster number of people who game on PS. So, the impact is likely minimal there too. Don't get me wrong, I think Sony definitely fucked up here but believe it's too soon to draw far-reaching scenarios from it - especially since we don't have full info. yet: eg. Sony's official response.

Last edited:

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
How much of a drop off if any the concurrent player count will be in the coming weeks will be the biggest thing to look for. Let’s see if all the negative reviews are going to carry over to the player counts. I think that will give insight into how much fake outrage or not this whole thing is.

24 Jun 2022
I'm not sure I agree that this is an incident that could result in the decline of PS. MS, for example, made moves (XBone) that directly impacted their console audience and then were completely tone-deaf in their response (initially). There were also multiple other issues too - a huge one being a compelling game line-up over the course of many years. The HD2 debacle is, imo, not even remotely similar in scale. As well, PC gamers are not a monolith. No doubt many are invested in what is happening with HD2, but there's also going to be many who are not. For example, a person who did not purchase HD2 is not directly impacted by this and may not care much as a result.

I also think there are many people who play on PS who don't know or don't care about what happens in the PC space with PS games. The number of people online is not a good reflection of the far vaster number of people who game on PS. So, the impact is likely minimal there too. Don't get me wrong, I think Sony definitely fucked up here but believe it's too soon to draw far-reaching scenarios from it - especially since we don't have full info. yet: eg. Sony's official response.

Okay, I'll adjust what I meant with that statement. By saying an event like this could be pointed to as the start of a decline with PlayStation, I was suggesting more in terms of it being representative of how they handle potentially negative optics and messaging, both in causing it and then resolving the issue, especially if it also creates strains between 3P partners. As the way they handle those things, could have ramifications on other situations going forward, that create a snowball effect. And at some point, while it may begin with questionable choices on the PC side, eventually I feel that would spill over to console-side decisions too.

The XBO had terrible rumors and then a completely botched reveal, but they kind of reeled back some of the damage with the following E3 until the $499. SIE undercutting them by $100 made the XBO E3 look a lot worst in retrospect, then they were still dealing with the Kinect 2 stuff not helped by the NSA leak at the time. As bad as all of taht was though, XBO still had a strong launch lineup (arguably better than PS4's), and at least at the time MS still were focusing on the console primarily and chiefly. Their actions still showed that their console audience was the priority.

What's going on right now with the Helldivers 2 situation is a situation compounding upon the Stellar Blade issue (a nontroversy IMHO), which compounded on the runaway rumors of FFVII Rebirth underperformance in sales, compounded on the SIE GAAS cancellation news and PSVR2 PC compatibility, the ports of yet more 1P exclusives to PC, the studio closures (even if some like London Studio didn't have much of a great track record post-PS2 era), the PS5 price increases, the PS+ price increase, the revelation of games like Wolverine being co-developed for PS5 & PC simultaneously etc. It's just been a lot of bad little things with SIE happening over the past year or two with sprinkles of good and still getting some big games out there, but the games should be expected from the job of a platform holder.

So it's just all this stuff compounding on each other and it just shows a clear problem: SIE are very poor at messaging and presenting good optics with their fanbase & the community at large. They make contentious decisions and then don't think to balance them out with good moves or, more lately over the past 1-2 years, things that show (not tell) that the console is still their chief priority. And now this latest thing with Helldivers 2 seems to have put a bit of a rift between SIE and Arrowhead. They FINALLY got a massive GAAS hit and right after MS bought their way into COD ownership at that, and they bungle forcing of PSN requirement like this? Why risk ruining what seemed like a great partnership?

If SIE wanted to give an official response, they should've done so shortly after announcing the mandate for PSN account linking. Not wait the weekend afterwards. Shades of Microsoft with those initial rumors of going 3P multiplat/ports of HiFi Rush & others to PS and Nintendo and then taking a whole weekend before clarifying. And like that situation, I don't think SIE would let this negative blowback happen unless the "official" statement were that they're full steam ahead with this PSN mandate.

The actual mandate isn't the issue for me; it's how they've gone about announcing and enforcing it. But it also gives me pause to think they're doing it because they are going to double down on PC ports going forward, and not just for GAAS. But non-GAAS too, probably with even shorter porting times between console & PC. Apparently Mystic heard a rumor of a big 1P non-GAAS going Day 1 on PS5 & PC next year. If that happens, then I'll know what SIE's direction is and it'll be a very bad one for their console.

That type of direction will be what leads to PlayStation consoles suffering a similar slide into irrelevancy as Xbox has. But I don't think Sony has the massive non-gaming pillars to offset that or make a major adjustment, the way Microsoft as a corporation does. And in that context it could be worst a situation for PlayStation than it has been for Xbox.