Switch 2 rumor |OT| launch at $400. |UP| Successor to switch will be announced at end of fiscal year.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The Steamdeck is PS4 equivalent and that sells for 400 pounds here.

Nintendo isn’t releasing anything that powerful at that price.

No profit to be made.
Steam deck is five years older than Switch 2 and doesn't benefit from the same economies of scale. Between the two of them I think Nintendo will be able to hit PS4 at 400 dollars while retaining the system's unique selling points (joy cons, mobile, "HD rumble", battery life, etc.)

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Steam deck is five years older than Switch 2 and won't benefit from economies of scale. Between the two of them I think Nintendo will be able to hit PS4 at 400 dollars qhile retaining the system's unique selling points (joy cons, mobile, "HD rumble", battery life, etc.)
I think it will be PS4 levels. Just the natural evolution given power level of Switch, PS4 levels are the next step.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Steam deck is five years older than Switch 2 and won't benefit from economies of scale. Between the two of them I think Nintendo will be able to hit PS4 at 400 dollars qhile retaining the system's unique selling points (joy cons, mobile, "HD rumble", battery life, etc.)

Who knows as they aren’t using AMD.

Probably don’t need to hit PS4 specs to get the same results as they are using Nvidia and DLSS.

Will probably be more power efficient compared to the Steamdeck cause Nvidia.

Reactions: Zzero

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think it will be PS4 levels. Just the natural evolution given power level of Switch, PS4 levels are the next step.
One area where tech advancements have not kept up is battery power, they really can't go beyond PS4 without going below 2 hours in battery life and, historically, thats been a deal-breaker for Nintendo. They're also in a bad place with inflation (especially of the Yen, which might be what delayed Switch 2 out of this year) and that makes it hard for them to push what would otherwise be a bigger power upgrade.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
One area where tech advancements have not kept up is battery power, they really can't go beyond PS4 without going below 2 hours in battery life and, historically, thats been a deal-breaker for Nintendo. They're also in a bad place with inflation (especially of the Yen, which might be what delayed Switch 2 out of this year) and that makes it hard for them to push what would otherwise be a bigger power upgrade.
I was also thinking of the battery issues but didn't mention. Yes it's a huge hindrance.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
btw, my earlier comment about 240hz being my new "baseline", I think I meant "gold standard". At least until the mythical 1000hz (most likely 960hz) displays become commonplace, I don't think I'm going to update from 240hz until then because for me, 240hz is truly enough. Of course everyone is different though, so YMMV.

It's also not just because I went from a 120hz VA panel to a 240hz OLED... My Mac Mini M1 only goes up to 120hz and when I use it with the new OLED @ 120hz, it has that same "framey" look when scrolling around and moving windows etc.

If this rumor is true, I can imagine Nintendo came to the same conclusion as I did... 120hz is barely better than 60hz. The main benefit of 120hz is that it allows for 40hz, which is honestly good enough for handheld play, but 240hz on a larger display is almost like CRT-levels of motion clarity and good enough to build marketing around... like 3DS.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
btw, my earlier comment about 240hz being my new "baseline", I think I meant "gold standard". At least until the mythical 1000hz (most likely 960hz) displays become commonplace, I don't think I'm going to update from 240hz until then because for me, 240hz is truly enough. Of course everyone is different though, so YMMV.

It's also not just because I went from a 120hz VA panel to a 240hz OLED... My Mac Mini M1 only goes up to 120hz and when I use it with the new OLED @ 120hz, it has that same "framey" look when scrolling around and moving windows etc.

If this rumor is true, I can imagine Nintendo came to the same conclusion as I did... 120hz is barely better than 60hz. The main benefit of 120hz is that it allows for 40hz, which is honestly good enough for handheld play, but 240hz on a larger display is almost like CRT-levels of motion clarity and good enough to build marketing around... like 3DS.
Understood.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Successor to the Switch to be announced later this fiscal year​

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Successor to the Switch to be announced later this fiscal year and a Direct in June.​

Banana

10 Jan 2023
I have a feeling that them waiting these extra 1-2 years is going to make the console feel too little too late, assuming it is just a tablet upgrade.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I have a feeling that them waiting these extra 1-2 years is going to make the console feel too little too late, assuming it is just a tablet upgrade.
It's going to be about a gen and a half behind regardless. It's just to make Mario look a little bit prettier.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I look forward to the unveil. I'm curious although I regretted buying the switch.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Digital Foundry mentioned a rumor claiming the "new" T239 is being made on Samsung 7LPH which is a generation more recent Orin's 8LPP.

If true, this could allow the chip to run at some 20-25% higher clocks than initially thought. I'm wary at the thought of Nintendo willing to pay Nvidia for a process node advancement on a console they don't even know if it's going to be successful, though.

Reactions: Banana
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Digital Foundry mentioned a rumor claiming the "new" T239 is being made on Samsung 7LPH which is a generation more recent Orin's 8LPP.

If true, this could allow the chip to run at some 20-25% higher clocks than initially thought. I'm wary at the thought of Nintendo willing to pay Nvidia for a process node advancement on a console they don't even know if it's going to be successful, though.
Yeah I doubt Nintendo will pay for this.