Tekken 8 now sits at a mostly negative review score on Steam after revealing a paid Battlepass and Microtransactions

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024

image.png

Another decision from the 'higher up' that ruins the experience for gamers and the hard work of the developers.

Bandai Namco went full greed-mode.

As of march 29, approximately 2 months after launch, Bandai decided to add an item shop with purchases being made with real cash and a premium battle pass, all purchased seperately from the already expensive 30$ season pass in a 60$ game, without any pre-launch roadmap warning players about the ways in which the game's going to be monetised.
All of this is being included in a game that's plagued with many other issues that need urgent fixing, like wonky netcode, terrible balance and no real penalties for cheaters/rage quitters.

Scummy doesn't even begin to describe it, I can't recommend a product thats leaning so heavily towards such shady practices, it's a shame, because the core game itself is a lot of fun.
Review source

Reactions: laynelane

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
This is just an unforced error by Tekken/Bandai Namco.
Street Fighter 6 has a Battle Pass and a cash shop. Even if players will complain about it, they will not complain as much if things are there Day 1 instead of being added post-launch.
Even if there was no intent to "hide" these things from the developer/publisher's side of things, this is always how these type of things will be perceived by their playerbases.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Yuniac

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Always a very small but vocal minority who complains, its not like they are forced to buy the battlepass

Reactions: Kokoloko

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Glad I didn't buy,I'll pick up the complete edition and never pay for a battle pass... Whenever that happens..

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Tekken 7 and all fighting games have this. Why anyone thought Tekken 8 was going to be different? What a bunch of childish whiners.

Reactions: Box
OP
OP
Yuniac

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
Tekken 7 and all fighting games have this. Why anyone thought Tekken 8 was going to be different? What a bunch of childish whiners.
No, not all fighting games have this. Please don't speak nonsense. Mortal Kombat never had a battle pass for example.

Street Fighter 6 has one, but they had it since day one and didn't sell a 70$ game then added microtransactions and a paid battle pass later like Tekken 8 did, and that is what makes people mad.

OP
OP
Yuniac

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
That's not greed. It's business and the wish to grow. They are trying to reach the whales sitting in China, the most representative group of gamers.
Lol, "wish to grow" It's Bandai Namco you are talking about, not an indie studio who just started doing business.

The problem isn't the existence of those things per se, it's how they were added to the game.

1) Sell your game and cash in.
2) Add microtransactions later.

Real classy

TheLastOfSnatcher

6 Feb 2023
Don't buy it?

I have almost 200 hrs in T8 and I only spent a few bucks thanks to Eddy Gordo. I don't care about the rest. The game is literally flourishing with content since Day 1, and people still expect all additional content to be free? Lol

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Steam reviews, just like Metacritic reviewers and user reviewers are starting to become a burden