Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 65 average - 60% recommended

Yzp8Pcg.jpg

MetaCritic - 59/100 - Based on 10 Reviews

RX8WoPn.jpg

Critic Reviews

CGMagazine
- Jordan Biordi - 6 / 10

Foamstars isn’t terrible, but its uninspired gameplay, deficit of content, and obscene monetization make it a forgettable experience.

Eurogamer - Kaan Serin - 3 / 5

Foamstars is a serviceable paintballer in the vein of Splatoon, lathered with some wild lore and underwhelming hero shooter elements.

Push Square - Stephen Tailby - 7 / 10

Foamstars is a colourful, unique, and entertaining shooter. The modes and characters on offer at launch are fun twists on genre staples, and the central foam mechanic is a playful addition with some potential for strategy. It's lighthearted, fast-paced fun with plenty of style. While the steep microtransactions and the so-so co-op missions keep it from being squeaky clean, there's a lot to like about this bubbly multiplayer title.

Screen Rant - Carrie Lambertsen - 3.5 / 5

There is so much good to say about Foamstars, with its quirky characters and cheerfully energizing feel. While at launch the matches do not feel entirely balanced, that will even out with time, yet the microtransactions look as though they could only get worse. Currently, Foamstars is free on PS Plus for anyone to try it out, but after March 5th anyone who does not already have the game downloaded will have to purchase it for $29.99. That price, combined with the costs of Premium Seasonal Passes and in-game store purchases can quickly add up and is overwhelming. Cosmetic items don't have to be purchased, of course, but to be faced with that many instances of trying to get players to spend money simply feels much dirtier than a soap-filled game ever should.

The Game Crater - Chris Melnyk - 5 / 10

Foamstars tries to bring something new to the table but has almost immediately been drowned out thanks to its repetitiveness.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
oof, i was hoping this would at least be as good as Playstation All-Stars was relative to Smash Bros. Seems like it's kinda trash.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It has nothing to do with Like a dragon's Soapland, I guess?

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Stop making half assed games as a way to sell digital junk. Didn't even add this to my library for free.