Post-launch updates and what's to come

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Master of the Dark Side
18 Jun 2022
Feedback.

Should be nice if the embed YouTube could maintain the timesamp or the URL.

For exemple:

.../watch?time_continue=247&v=dKB3WXRWTCM&feature=emb_title

Should put you at 247 seconds in the video and not at beginning like below:

I believe this doesn't work due to us lazy loading Images and Videos. It's a trade-off between functionality and server bandwidth. Due to our size, we'll keep it as is for now and will reevaluate in the future.

Reactions: Cragarmi

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Can you merge the your posts and reactions recieved pages, or add to the RR page?

RR page can filter by reactions, but it only shows part of your post, nor open the thread at that post, only the first page.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Master of the Dark Side
18 Jun 2022
Can you merge the your posts and reactions recieved pages, or add to the RR page?

RR page can filter by reactions, but it only shows part of your post, nor open the thread at that post, only the first page.

Not sure I understand what you mean, can you clarify? Perhaps a link or a couple of screenshots?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Not sure I understand what you mean, can you clarify? Perhaps a link or a couple of screenshots?
The my posts page would show posts in full on the posts page, but it also let you open the thread to that post and read the edges around it. That was great, except you couldn't filter by reaction here.

On the Reactions page, you could filter reactions, but the page of results wouldnt show the full message, only a truncated version. Further annoyingly, you couldn't click a post and go to it from the reactions page, it just kicked you to the 1st page of the thread.

.... I was, admittedly, repeating a userability issue I requested on GAF a lot. I assumed it was perhaps a limitation of the board software but couldn't hurt to ask here as well.... anyway, when going to take screenshots, I discovered IconEra's reactions page does include both a link to post and link to thread, across desktop and mobile.

G9ZnBdA.png

I guess this feature request can be ignored. lol
For comparison, GAF's reactions page does not include a link on the 'your post' text, as shown here, making the page ineffective as described above:

J6tRxjJ.png

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Master of the Dark Side
18 Jun 2022
Gotcha @ksdixon :) it seems like our notifications are up to your liking then!

Appreciate the suggestions regardless, we are keeping things stable for now but anything that improves engagement is always considered (within the technical limitations of the platform and our own technical limitations).

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Is it possibke to disallow the thread tags from appearing in the pages's title? All my tabs start with Discussion. Comical, but makes things a little harder for me personally. :(

LlD4DQT.png

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Master of the Dark Side
18 Jun 2022
@ksdixon done :)

I've also moved the big "reply" button so that it shows next to the "jump to new" option and takes less space in the screen.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
@ksdixon done :)

I've also moved the big "reply" button so that it shows next to the "jump to new" option and takes less space in the screen.
Is it repeatable in the other discussion boards?
Gaming, for example, still shows the thread tags as part of the page/tab title, when you open individual threads.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Master of the Dark Side
18 Jun 2022
Hey mate.

I'm not sure what you mean, the tags now show only when relevant?

They show on the forums view

1.PNG

thread view

2.PNG

but not when you open them.

3.PNG

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Hey mate.

I'm not sure what you mean, the tags now show only when relevant?

They show on the forums view

View attachment 8

thread view

View attachment 9

but not when you open them.

View attachment 10
Sorry, im bad at explaining things.

What I mean is the text that appears in the tab's title. In the gaming board for example, many opened threads all look like they're called Discussion (or in pic below the GOW thread looks like it begins with playstation in the tab title), because they're taking into consideration the thread category text.

YtaBtKt.png

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Master of the Dark Side
18 Jun 2022
Oh I get it @ksdixon

The only way to remove that from showing in the tab itself would be to kill the labels themselves. I just hid the label on the thread title. This is not something we plan on doing as they are useful for search purposes.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Oh I get it @ksdixon

The only way to remove that from showing in the tab itself would be to kill the labels themselves. I just hid the label on the thread title. This is not something we plan on doing as they are useful for search purposes.
Would they still work for search purposes, if they were placed after the thread's title?

Edit: perhaps placed after the thread title text, we could further define threads with multiple tags?

'Abandonned - A Hideo Kojima Game?'
'[PlayStation][Rumor]'

'IconEra Interviews Jerry Lambert'
'[PlayStation][Kevin Butler]'

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Master of the Dark Side
18 Jun 2022
Would they still work for search purposes, if they were placed after the thread's title?

Edit: perhaps placed after the thread title text, we could further define threads with multiple tags?

'Abandonned - A Hideo Kojima Game?'
'[PlayStation][Rumor]'

'IconEra Interviews Jerry Lambert'
'[PlayStation][Kevin Butler]'

They would, I'm just unsure if it would impact the canonical URL. I can test though, just not now.

IFireflyl

10 Jul 2022
Could an Admin enable Gravatar support in the Xenforo settings? This can be done by going to the Admin panel, then Setup > Options > User Options > Enable Gravatar Support. I think Xenforo has this off by default, but if there's another reason you guys are keeping it off then that's fine.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Could an Admin enable Gravatar support in the Xenforo settings? This can be done by going to the Admin panel, then Setup > Options > User Options > Enable Gravatar Support. I think Xenforo has this off by default, but if there's another reason you guys are keeping it off then that's fine.

Yes, I saw this. Will discuss with others.

• party
Reactions: IFireflyl
OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Master of the Dark Side
18 Jun 2022
@IFireflyl any particular reason why you'd want gravatar support enabled? Just out of interest, I'm aware of how it works, but I'm also aware that Gravatar can be a pain when dealing with accounts as it keeps your logo tied to your email.

IFireflyl

10 Jul 2022
@IFireflyl any particular reason why you'd want gravatar support enabled? Just out of interest, I'm aware of how it works, but I'm also aware that Gravatar can be a pain when dealing with accounts as it keeps your logo tied to your email.

I like being able to change my avatar in one place (Gravatar) and have the same avatar across multiple sites. That way I don't have to change my avatar on a per-site basis. I'm not sure what pain point you're referring to with it being tied to the email address. That's supposed to be the benefit of Gravatar.