Cultural appropriation, revision of history or just appreciation of the culture. What are your thoughts on Yasuke in the new Assassin's Creed.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Nothing wrong with the games and developer can put any race , nationality or gender whatever they want, because it's just a fictional stories based on real life character .
The problem start when Ubisoft or Games media called The person was " A Samurai" in "Real life's " . Which is wrong based on historical data he is just a sword bearer or a retainer or a quire or even a Jesuit follower . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuke

I don't mind the idea's it's actually refreshing and new having a "Gaijin " Foreigner " as Assassins' main characters.
I dunno about Gaijin but they've had you as a "foreigner" in both Revelations and 3, and the Viking one too if you count the large portion that occurs outside of Norway.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You have rise of ronin, ghost of Tsushima, like a dragon isshin… you can play that.
Also, nioh protagonist is white, not Japanese.
Point is, you have plenty of options, this one is different… don’t play the game, use a mod on pc, or whatever…
Devs are as free to make a jelly boobied girl as they are to make a black samurai 🤷‍♂️
I agree. Or make the Samurai an alien if thy want.

Reactions: voke and Swift_Star

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
You are quite a loser if this matters to you fr. Gaming discourse loves dissect shit that could've been shrug.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
They won’t lose any sales over this. The same crying morons on twitter that say they’ll boycott this actually won’t, just like the morons at era didn’t boycott stellar blade, hogwarts legacy or cyberpunk. This is all forum and twitter clout. Nobody cares.
You are forgetting this is a ubislop game, this shit will be 30% off by christmas

• thisistheway
Reactions: 2spooky5me

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
oh hey, new game that will only have boring discourse and almost no talk about gameplay just dropped! i thought the gaming community would be in a chill mood after stellar blade released, but nah
Notice how EVERY major game gets this type of noise these days.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me and Ico

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
Does this really matter? Like I watched 300 and it’s based on a true story but come on lol
The point is. He looks cool and he’s actually interesting character even in the fictional stories he has been

He does look fucking cool. Hopefully there’s some good armor sets so I can cosplay Nagaryuki in the game

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Now that I think about it, I'm gonna buy this day 1. Haven't played AC since 4.

and yes it's because of yasuke

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Alright let's get back on topic with serious convo behind this stance.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
But the crazy thing is Yasuke was already in Nioh and no one said shit.

Yasuke is an interesting choice as protagonist, but he's a bad choice as a member of the Assassin's Creed,

Naoe makes sense as a Shinobi, she's a common villager and most people wouldn't think of her as an assassin let alone as a capable fighter.

Meanwhile Yasuke was the only Black Person in the entirety of Japan in Edo period, he's like the worst possible choice of an assassin you could ever pick, as soon as the portuguese came with him to Osaka the entire city found out about him in the span of a couple days, that's how Nobunaga hired him. He has the same energy as a chinese dinasty warrior in Europe in the european middle ages, you would be unable to walk around unoticed.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Scroll down to #612. I'm surprised this user just didn't flat out say they hate everything associated with Asia.
I hate that Ubisoft is getting free publicity from this all. And it's so stupid this whole thing is coming down to race vs race, nation vs nation, and gender vs gender.
I've seen some REALLY terrible tweets/comments on various forums the past 2 days. People even resorting to threats of violence, or evoking tragedies from WW2. This is why the Internet is so EFF'd.
WTF? A real oriental game? Tht guy is an idiot. So he like games not trying to be historically accurate but rather fantasy in Asia?

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Cultural appropriation is woke bs. AC starting an African in feudal Japan is in poor taste any way you cut it. Devs have the freedom to do whatever, and consumers the freedom to not like it.

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs and Box