Despite Helldivers 2 success, Sony misses PC revenue target by about 20%

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Steam bots would have you think PS is unsustainable without it. SonyToo is one of the craziest narratives lmao
Exactly.
People act like Sony and Nintendo haven't had there most successful generations (PS4/Switch) without PC sales. Playstation has been winning since 1995 without PC releases.

Also all the recent crap about games are costing too much was started by Xbots/shills, and now its a flowing narrative. Most PS 1st party games have all made profit and then some. PS doesnt need PC to succeed

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
What other stuff is included? I don't have time to go looking.. if anyone wants to help out.
Seems they included other stuff to this revenue total so PC total is lower than the 720 million, yikes

What they reported yesterday is "other software", which is 1st party game revenue generated outside PS. They report this every quarter, they didn't change anything. That's where I took the screenshot with many numbers in my previous post.

May 30th they'll have the Segment Meeting, where in recent years reported their PC specific revenue and forecast. That's where I screencapped the $450M estimate one in my previous post.

Zuby is lying, Sony never estimated to make $900M in PC this FY. His data for "other software" is wrong, it's $679,4M and not $720M. But maybe not because of lying, but because changes in dollar vs yen exchange since it was announced.

450/750m whatever Revenue. How much profit?
It depends on the project, from the pre-Helldivers 2 games we saw Sony makes as revenue (after removing the Steam cut, refunds, charge backs...) around $24-35 per copy sold on PC.

We saw in Insomniac''s leaked docs that each PC port costs them around a couple millions. If we count $30 average per copy and $2M as average port cost, then they'd need to sell around 66.67K units of the port to make it profitable. Even the lowest selling port, Sackboy, must have achieved it, meaning all ports are profitable.

Some ports even sold over 3M copies (3M x $30 = $90M), meaning they have had an insane profit/ROI from the PC port basically by doing nothing other than to pay a couple millions to a porting studio.

So their PC ports are very profitable and have a huge profit marging, this is why Totoki likes them to improve their OI.

GaaS released day one PC is a different story because here the cost of the original game and the sales in other platforms are also counted to calculate the profitability of that project.

Last edited:

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Exactly.
People act like Sony and Nintendo haven't had there most successful generations (PS4/Switch) without PC sales. Playstation has been winning since 1995 without PC releases.

Also all the recent crap about games are costing too much was started by Xbots/shills, and now its a flowing narrative. Most PS 1st party games have all made profit and then some. PS doesnt need PC to succeed
Also the fact that video game development is "too long" is an Xbot narrative. Sony has launched every game they advertised this gen EXCEPT wolverine(which we knew would take awhile.) and DS2. We got ratchet, returnal, GOW, Horizon, Demons, SM2, Stellar Blade, ROTR etc etc. Xbox has not gotten everwild, sod3, fable, perfect dark, avowed yet... all of their games are on some type of FF Versus XIII timeline.

Reality is, the PS pipeline has been consistent and quality, and we've been dealing with projections from the other sides for the entire generation.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Also the fact that video game development is "too long" is an Xbot narrative. Sony has launched every game they advertised this gen EXCEPT wolverine(which we knew would take awhile.) and DS2. We got ratchet, returnal, GOW, Horizon, Demons, SM2, Stellar Blade, ROTR etc etc. Xbox has not gotten gotten everwild, sod3, fable, perfect dark, avowed yet... all of their games are on some type of FF Versus XIII timeline.

Reality is, the PS pipeline has been consistent and quality, and we've been dealing with projections from the other sides for the entire generation.
100%. Despite me expecting more titles from Playstation Studios and 3rd party exclusives, they have still been great quality, making profit.

Its all BS narratives. The ones in the last year that I keep hearing and seeing articles about:
- Development costs too much and too long. (With correct management like Insomniac it can be more than fine.)
- PS needs to release on other platforms, and even go 3rd party and release games on Xbox
- 3rd party exclusives on Playstation are bad and loses the Studio/publisher loads of money

24 Jun 2022
These are not "PC" figures; they're multiplatform figures. Meaning they also include Xbox and Switch, specifically for games like MLB The Show and Destiny 2.

Knowing how pre-HD2 PC ports this past FY did not sell too well (even assuming non-HD2 games (including those released in previous FYs) sold collectively 4 million units on PC past FY at average of $50, and Valve only getting 15%, that would be $170 million in revenue), and assuming a 60/40 HD2 split favoring PC, would put HD2 revenue in B2P at ~ $244 million. That assumes an averaged 15% cut for Valve and all copies sold at $40 (which was not the case). However it's also possible the split was slightly higher in favor of Steam, so sticking with $244 million seems like a safe option.

MTX/add-on content would probably add at least another $100 million on the PC side I guess, so a quasi-conservative estimate is HD2 is responsible for ~ $345 - $350 million of their multiplatform revenue. In other words, without Helldivers 2, Sony would've 100% missed their $450 million PC target by a gargantuan amount and probably generated only ~ $100 million from PC this past FY. 😬

It also means their multiplatform results likely would've been closer to ~ $370 million. This suggests to me that both MLB The Show and Destiny 2 (mainly Destiny 2) underperformed. In essence, Helldivers 2 absolutely saved SIE's PC revenue targets and helped make the multiplatform revenue total look more impressive than it would've been otherwise.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Thats what they EXPECTED, they just over thunk it dont mean it was not successful. How much did they bring in on PC in fy22?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Thats what they EXPECTED, they just over thunk it dont mean it was not successful. How much did they bring in on PC in fy22?
No, what Sony expected was $450M. But from PC only, this "other software" data is 1st party game revenue outside PS consoles (PC+rival consoles).

In my previous post you have the data for each quarter of this metric for FY23 and FY22. And also the data of their FY22 PC revenue and estimate for FY23.

I'd bet that if they made around $700M in PC + rival consoles, they will have made around or over the estimated $450M on PC alone. We'll see if that is the case in their Business Segment Meeting (May 30th), which is where every year Sony details their PC only revenue and estimates the next FY.

MTX/add-on content would probably add at least
Add-on revenue (mtx, dlc, passes, special edition upgrades..) of the 1st party games published outside PS is already included under "other software", you don't need to add anything.

And as you can see in my previous post, without Helldivers 2 in Q1FY23 and Q2FY23 they also were improving YoY. Q3 didn't improve because they had way bigger releases in Q2FY22 and Q3FY22.

PC seems to be performing as they estimated last year or even better, no signs of underperforming:

image.png

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
No, what Sony expected was $450M. But from PC only, this "other software" data is 1st party game revenue outside PS consoles (PC+rival consoles).

In my previous post you have the data for each quarter of this metric for FY23 and FY22. And also the data of their FY22 PC revenue and estimate for FY23.

I'd bet that if they made around $700M in PC + rival consoles, they will have made around or over the estimated $450M on PC alone. We'll see if that is the case in their Business Segment Meeting (May 30th), which is where every year Sony details their PC only revenue and estimates the next FY.

They did hit the $450 million PC target, but here's the rub: the vast majority of that was from Helldivers 2.

In other words, if Helldivers 2 wasn't a viral hit, SIE would've 100% missed the $450 million PC target. And not just by a little: by a LOT. At least by over 50%; Destiny 2 and sales of the new ports past FY were just that bad, and the older ports are just selling a bit here and there.

They basically struck gold on a gambit that saved their PC revenue fiscal forecast targets for the FY and made the multiplatform results look respectable instead of embarrassing.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They did hit the $450 million PC target, but here's the rub: the vast majority of that was from Helldivers 2.
Taking into consideration the units sold of Helldivers 2, that around half of them seem to be from PC, its price, available dlc/mtx and the Steam cut this theory doesn't make sense.

Even with PC selling 60% of the 12M (assuming all of them were sold before March 31 instead of May 5th, which is what it was reported for the 12M) units and all pc users spending on average $20 in addons in the first month.

Specially when seeing Q1+Q2+Q3 combined (the pre-Helldivers 2 period of FY23) were up YoY.

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

In other words, if Helldivers 2 wasn't a viral hit, SIE would've 100% missed the $450 million PC target. And not just by a little: by a LOT. At least by over 50%; Destiny 2 and sales of the new ports past FY were just that bad, and the older ports are just selling a bit here and there.

They basically struck gold on a gambit that saved their PC revenue fiscal forecast targets for the FY and made the multiplatform results look respectable instead of embarrassing.

I think SIE has enough data from previous SP ports at this point to be able to accurately predict how much revenue they'll generate, besides maybe TLoU Part 1 which was a disastrous port.
I'm sure that one missed the mark by a decent amount, although that was last FY.

Destiny 2 was 45% off Bungie's own forecast and that forecast probably got even worse when they decided to pushed out The Final Shape expansion from outside the FY to June 2024(initial release date Feb 2024) to make sure it they didn't screw it up again.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Ports of single player PlayStation games on PC make as much sense as porting them to the Switch 2.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
This time. Won't have that safety net next time.

I imagine their FY24 forecast ending March 2025 is going to be an quite a bit bigger on the PC/other revenue side.

They're going to have:

-Continued revenue from Helldivers 2
-Destiny 2 Next Expansion(We promise we'll get it right this time!!!)
-Concord with a tentative 2024 release date

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
These numbers are fake.

Sony didn't share anything related to PC and we are still waiting to see if they reached their target of $450 million ($900 million is fake too).

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
If they missed that with HD2, then all their other releases were major flops. But we knew that from the sales data. So all those SP games are dead on that platform. Have Nixxes do something else.
Namely, be the main BC team!

I'm not misremembering, am I, Nixxes have some porting pedigree, don't they? I'm sure they're the ones whom down-ported Rise Of The TR to Xbox360.

24 Jun 2022
Taking into consideration the units sold of Helldivers 2, that around half of them seem to be from PC, its price, available dlc/mtx and the Steam cut this theory doesn't make sense.

Even with PC selling 60% of the 12M (assuming all of them were sold before March 31 instead of May 5th, which is what it was reported for the 12M) units and all pc users spending on average $20 in addons in the first month.

Specially when seeing Q1+Q2+Q3 combined (the pre-Helldivers 2 period of FY23) were up YoY.

Okay then. We can assume 8 million were sold by March 31st (which is realistic), 60/40 PC/PS5 at least, and 15% averaged cut to Valve. That's $163 million. $20 average in MTX per user is $96 million. $163 million + $96 million is $259 million.

Which still means Helldivers 2, a surprise breakout hit, account for well over half of their PC FY revenue target. And that all the new ports in FY '23, plus legacy sales of ports from years prior, plus Destiny 2...would have likely accounted for under $200 million in total revenue. So at least a $50 million drop compared to their FY '22 PC revenue.

By that logic, you have to either accept that it was non-PC platforms that contributed the majority of their multiplatform revenue, or believe somehow that Sony's PC ports collectively sold something like at least 4 million at an average of $50 per copy and 15% cut for Valve averaged AND Destiny 2 PC revenue was respectable, to have blown past the $450 revenue target with Helldivers 2 likely numbers factored in.

Considering HFW port did "okay" and other games like Rift Apart didn't do so hot on Steam, combined with the heavily suggested drops in Destiny 2 revenue at some point last year (which would have impacted the FY), I don't find that scenario as being too likely. The fact the performance of other PC games outside of Helldivers 2 wasn't even mentioned suggests those other games underperformed.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Okay then. We can assume 8 million were sold by March 31st (which is realistic), 60/40 PC/PS5 at least, and 15% averaged cut to Valve. That's $163 million. $20 average in MTX per user is $96 million. $163 million + $96 million is $259 million.

Which still means Helldivers 2, a surprise breakout hit, account for well over half of their PC FY revenue target. And that all the new ports in FY '23, plus legacy sales of ports from years prior, plus Destiny 2...would have likely accounted for under $200 million in total revenue. So at least a $50 million drop compared to their FY '22 PC revenue.

By that logic, you have to either accept that it was non-PC platforms that contributed the majority of their multiplatform revenue, or believe somehow that Sony's PC ports collectively sold something like at least 4 million at an average of $50 per copy and 15% cut for Valve averaged AND Destiny 2 PC revenue was respectable, to have blown past the $450 revenue target with Helldivers 2 likely numbers factored in.

Considering HFW port did "okay" and other games like Rift Apart didn't do so hot on Steam, combined with the heavily suggested drops in Destiny 2 revenue at some point last year (which would have impacted the FY), I don't find that scenario as being too likely. The fact the performance of other PC games outside of Helldivers 2 wasn't even mentioned suggests those other games underperformed.
Destiny 2 didn't have any expansion in FY2023.
So it PC revenue should be way lower than $100 million.

With Lightfall in FY2022 they did over $150 million alone with Destiny 2 PC (closer to $200 million to be fair).
That is why they said the Bungie revenue dropped 48% in FY2023... they had no expansion.

This FY with The Final Shape PC revenue from Destiny 2 should rise to ~$200 million again.