Gematsu: The first new PS2 game coming to the PlayStation Plus Classics Catalog seems to be Star Wars: The Clone Wars

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
It doesn't seems to be a new emulator but the same used for PS2 to PS4 titles.
I mean all the features they are listing already existed in PS2 to PS4 titles.
You what? Is this true?
I thought we had to wait whilst they build new emulators.
If it's the same emulator they should have added so many more PS1/PS2 games since like 2014-odd

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You what? Is this true?
If it's the same emulator they should have added so many more PS1/PS2 games since like 2014-odd
Just guessing because the features are the same.
And to be fair nobody creates emulator from zero… they already had a PS2 emulator for x86 that works on PS4 and PS5.

The lack of releases is more a business decision due the cost to quality test it and fix the bugs.

Sony probably thought it was not worth due the sales but now they are probably thinking in add to a subscription model.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
This is great and all but where's the Ps3 emulator? That's what most people were upset about I'd love to retire my Ps3 personally.

• Shake
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
PS1 and PS2 games support has been pathetic and it makes no sense that it's a feature of the most expensive tier of PS+ but they don't seem to care at all.

They should have a dedicated team that worked only on this stuff and that would be regularly updating the community and taking feedback.

Reactions: Box

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I see.
Sucks they cant use the licenses from PS3/Vita. From what I remember the Vita had an over night library, sharing all the PS3’s library of PS1/PS2/PSP games. Suikoden 2 even came out after PS4.
Yes, it sucks. It's weird because all PSP games ran and were available in the Vita store, in the same way all PS4 ran in PS5 via BC and are available in the store.

I assume the reason of why all PSP, Vita and PS3 aren't available in PS4 and PS5 stores (at least the PSP ones) goes beyond the tech limits that don't allow Vita and PS3 games being emulated.

I assume it's because the games were signed to be included in these platforms and they should be signed again to include them in the PS4 & PS5 stores. But then you could say why don't they put at least all the Sony games?

Maybe in PS6 they achieve some kind of 1:1 BC emulation of PS3 and Vita as they did in PS5 with PS4, and somewhat legally in terms of licenses they can say it's the same platform so they merge both stores or something like that. I have no idea.

How much does licensing cost? Does it cost Sony alot to license there own games from before like GT1,2, GT3, GT4, Discworld, Ask the lad 2, 3, God of War 1/2. They co published alot of games on the PS1.

I went to buy Grandia on PS5 as soon as I heard it was there, but it was free because I use to own it on PS3 ( I think so anyway ). Happened with Ridge Racer Type 4 too
The licensing cost depends. If you sign with Ferrari to include all their cars isn't the same than to sign only for a couple cars. And it isn't the same to sign for 5 years than to sign for 10 years than to sign forever. And also isn't the same to sign to have exclusivity than to allow also appear in other games, or in other platforms.

And the prices aren't the same to sign let's say to sign Ferrari than to sign Skoda regarding brands.

As an example, the OutRun 2 license with Ferrari was temporal, and they had to remove the game from all stores when it expired. If they want to release it again, Sega would have to negotiate with them and pay them.

Same goes with artists for songs, or athletes in case of sports games.

There's also product placement licenses for clothing brands in sports games, or stuff like wheels, brakes and so one in case of car games with tuning customization using real brands.

Regarding licenses, sometimes also happens that in games made around the early 90s and before, sometimes the IP didn't belong to the company, but instead some of the main creators had a part -or totality- of it. That means that everytime the publisher does something with that brand it has to be approved by them and they get paid. As an example, that's the case with Prince of Persia and Jordan Mechner: every time Ubi does something about PoP he has to approve it and basically to get paid.

Sometimes all this gets even more tricky: sometimes the rights of something like an IP, or the rights of a song to someone who is dead and they can't find who got them or if someone has them. Sometimes they belong to companies that went bankrupt and the rights weren't sold to anyone. Or maybe that person or company isn't interested in games anymore and don't want to sign it.

As an example, Capcom's Cadillacs & Dinosaurs arcade game: they can't include it in compilations because even if the owner of the Cadillacs & Dinosaurs IP is ok with it, the people from the Cadillac brand blocked it.

In addition to this, in the past it was very common that some publisher had the publishing rights of a game/IP for some countries, while a second publisher had them for other countries, and a third one of other countries etc. So now they have to agree. And sometimes they don't exist, where merged or acquired and the other company doesn't know if they have to rights or don't want to sign, etc.

The legal / licenses stuff sucks, specially for very old games.

This is great and all but where's the Ps3 emulator?
According to an Insomniac senior engine programmer who worked in the main Sony engine for PS3, and also to the main programmer of the main PS3 emulator for PC, due to technical limits PS4 and PS5 can't emulate PS3 properly to run all games with commercial quality (original performance, no bugs). In some areas PS5 is way superior, but PS3 was a beast in other ones and is superior to PS3, making it impossible to emualate.

The PS3 emulator for PC has many hacks and tricks in many times specifics per game. In PC has many performance issues and bugs that couldn't be accepted for a commercial use.

In any case it would require a ton of work, and very likely Sony wouldn't want to spend it to sell only about 1000 or 2000 copies of each classic game.

Maybe in PS6, who knows.

Sony probably thought it was not worth due the sales but now they are probably thinking in add to a subscription model.
PS1, PS2, PSP classics already are available in the PS+ Premium subscription. In addition to be available to be bought separatedly in the store.

You what? Is this true?
We don't know if there is a new emulator or not. What we know is that some time ago SIE, after releasing the PSP classics on PS5, they had an open job position to emulators. But who knows, maybe it was to put PS1/PSP classics on mobile phones, PC or PS6. Or maybe to update, tweak and fix the existing emulators.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
None of the third party classics have had trophy support
None?

Wild Arms 3 had trophy support.

Edit - I just checked if most if not all
PS2 to PS4 games have trophy support.

At least 46 out of 55 of them have confirmed trophy support… the 9 I’m unsure I can check.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
We really need a PS3 emulator. So many Rachet & Clank games, inFAMOUS, & old cods that can’t be played on PS4/PS5

It wouldn’t be a problem if Bluepoint continue doing remakes/remaster & appointed Nixxes to remakes/remaster
I wish!

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
We really need a PS3 emulator. So many Rachet & Clank games, inFAMOUS, & old cods that can’t be played on PS4/PS5

It wouldn’t be a problem if Bluepoint continue doing remakes/remaster & appointed Nixxes to remakes/remaster
Sony is too lazy to think long term and work on universal solutions. PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility should've completely sorted out and perfect at this point.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
available in PS4 and PS5 stores (at least the PSP ones) goes beyond the tech limits that don't allow Vita and PS3 games being emulated

He means the Psone Classics, we had a massive livrary of Psone games ported to vita from ps3 after a single update. I don't understand why they never bought those over to ps4 and 5.
Sony is too lazy to think long term and work on universal solutions. PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility should've completely sorted out and perfect at this point.

Amazing how a much of fans can create far better emulators in their spare time. Duckstation and Pcsx2 run rings around whatever Sony has been able to offer officially.

There's no excuse for why they didn't just hire the duckstation and PCSX2 teams.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
He means the Psone Classics, we had a massive livrary of Psone games ported to vita from ps3 after a single update. I don't understand why they never bought those over to ps4 and 5.

Amazing how a much of fans can create far better emulators in their spare time. Duckstation and Pcsx2 run rings around whatever Sony has been able to offer officially.

There's no excuse for why they didn't just hire the duckstation and PCSX2 teams.
They can get a bunch of teams together to port games to PC that hardly anyone cares about but can't have a dedicated team for emulators. A forward thinking company like Valve would be hiring people from the PC emulation community.

There is no excuse for all PlayStation published games to not be available on their own current platform and it should also be a tool that they would make available to all other devs to use.

PS4 release over 10 years ago with x86 architecture and they somehow couldn't figured out all this stuff, it's beyond lazy. A couple of dude on their spare time without documentation and access were able to make a functional PS3 emulator capable of running a bunch of game well years ago already. When it comes to PS1/PS2/PSP it is just as embarrassing.

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
They can get a bunch of teams together to port games to PC that hardly anyone cares about but can't have a dedicated team for emulators. A forward thinking company like Valve would be hiring people from the PC emulation community.

There is no excuse for all PlayStation publisher games to not be available on their own current platform and it should also be a tool that they would make available to all other devs to use.

It would also make sense for Sony to release these Ps1,Ps2 and Psp ganes on PC maybe even on their own store. Like you said i don't think Sony has any real forward thinking. Right now Sony is run by incompetent idiots.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It would also make sense for Sony to release these Ps1,Ps2 and Psp ganes on PC maybe even on their own store. Like you said i don't think Sony has any real forward thinking. Right now Sony is run by incompetent idiots.
100%. Now that I could respect, an initiative that would be beneficial to everybody Sony, PlayStation owners, PC players and publishers.

I would be fine with PC support if at least Sony has some sort of standard where they would commit to PlayStation actually being the best place to play (at least on par with PC).

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes. I assume these publishers licensed them to be released on PSP and Vita (and I'd say most if no all in PS3 too) and when signed that contract didn't include there potential future PS home consoles. Or maybe licensed them for a limited amount of years and already expired.

I assume they could license them again for PS4 and PS5, but the publishers saw the poor sales they had in PS3, PSP and Vita (and later the ones in PS4 and PS5) and they thought the effort/cost isn't worth it.

I assume it's because of profitability.

They see each game Bungie does generates over a billion, so they think it's a good idea to pay 4B for it because they know that in the long term it will be a profitable investment.

They saw that the classics didn't sell a shit on PSP, Vita, PS3, PS4 and PS5, so won't spend a lot of money on them. If the classics would generate $100-300M/per year, make sure they'd invest a shit ton of money there to make the best emulators ever. Right now they may have a couple guys who may also work in other stuff in addition to this.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I assume they could license them again for PS4 and PS5, but the publishers saw the poor sales they had in PS3, PSP and Vita (and later the ones in PS4 and PS5) and they thought the effort/cost isn't worth it.

If these companies refuse to licence the games that's their problem, people will just emulate them for free on PCSX2 and Duckstation.

Fuck those publishers that refuse to licence out their games onto modern hardware. We don't owe them shit

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If these companies refuse to licence the games that's their problem, people will just emulate them for free on PCSX2 and Duckstation.

Fuck those publishers that refuse to licence out their games onto modern hardware. We don't owe them shit
Btw, I think you'll like this thread I just made.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I just saw this video, seems they really did a new PS2 emulator for PS4 and PS5 that supports the new rewind, quick saves, video filters seen in the other ones and the team who worked on it has at least one of the PCSX2 coders:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Wild Arms is a Sony IP
GTA has trophies.
Metal Slug has trophies.
RE: Code Veronica has trophies.
Star Ocean has trophies.
Max Payne bad trophies.
Red Dead Revolver has trophies.
Samurai Shadows has trophies.
Star Wars has trophies.

I’m not even sure what you said that 3rd-parties games doesn’t have trophies.
Like I said 46 from 55 PS2 games on PS4 I have absolutely certain that has trophies.
The others 9 I had to check.

• Informative
Reactions: 2spooky5me