Helldivers 2 will require Steam players to sign in with PSN account, led to review bombing games & refunds. |UP| Gamers organizing to revert reviews.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
I understand the hate.

So Sony just need to left Steam so games will only need one sign in (PlayStation account).

Sony doesn’t need to care about reviews in a platform they don’t own.

There's more to this

There are various countries where PSN is unavailable but Steam is, so they are essentialy kicking out thousands some users

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
There's more to this

There are various countries where PSN is unavailable but Steam is, so they are essentialy kicking out thousands some users

you can easily create an account from other country. f.exp. i have norwegian account, i also have US account. i can also create asia account, japan etc.. this is not a problem at all.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
There's more to this

This is unfortunate and the only valid complaint, but it doesn’t apply at all to 99.99999% of the people complaining about it. It’s mostly Americans crying about this, most pc gamers are just sheep

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
These guys are all puking on the thought at even showing the least little bit support to Sony. Imagine hating on Sony on a daily base but wanting to play all their games.
Not wanting to create an extra account on a different platform isn't hating. Also, those players paid for the product and have been using it for months. Coming out now and saying: create a PS account or you can't play anymore is a dick move.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I thought you needed a PSN account to play the game since the beginning. What changed?

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
There's more to this

Not true, you don't need to have PSN in your country to create a Steam account. I'm from Europe and back in the time I created accounts of the USA and JP PSN stores to download stuff that wasn't available in my country.

I thought you needed a PSN account to play the game since the beginning. What changed?
They said since the beggining that you needed a PSN account, but to link it wasn't mandatory to play the game. So in practice it was optional. The change is that in the future it will be mandatory to play.

To create the account and link it takes a minute, and other than that doesn't affect your gaming experience at all. The only difference is that in a menu it says "account linked".

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Not true, you don't need to have PSN in your country to create a Steam account. I'm from Europe and back in the time I created accounts of the USA and JP PSN stores to download stuff that wasn't available in my country.

They said since the beggining that you needed a PSN account, but to link it wasn't mandatory to play the game. So in practice it was optional. The change is that in the future it will be mandatory to play.

To create the account and link it takes 2 minutes, and other than that doesn't affect your gaming experience at all. The only difference is that in a menu it says "account linked".

My friend who plays on PC was all pissy about creating a PSN account back then and then he remembered he already had one. Then he started complaining about PSN being hacked (lol). More like PC Pussy Race.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
This could be an opportunity. Sony should from now on force on the requirement to create an PSN account for their released games on PC. Could backfire and lastly contribute for Sony's efforts on PC to fail. I actually would welcome that. Away with the bitter PCMRs.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
My friend who plays on PC was all pissy about creating a PSN account back then and then he remembered he already had one. Then he started complaining about PSN being hacked (lol). More like PC Pussy Race.
Yes, they are so bitchy.

As I remember the name for my PSN US account was Chuck Norris and for the Japanese PSN was Osama Bin Laden. Got a random address from internet (can't remember where, but were some funny places), none of them had credit card attached and did use gmail accounts for them. So good luck to whoever got that data via a hack.

I saw some stupid people in twitter complaining because Sony had a patent about reading biometric data (suggesting that Helldivers 2 on PC would somehow read their data).

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Yes, they are so bitchy.

As I remember the name for my PSN US account was Chuck Norris and for the Japanese PSN was Osama Bin Laden. Got a random address from internet, none of them had credit card attached and did use gmail accounts for them.

I saw some stupid people in twitter complaining because Sony had a patent about reading biometric data (suggesting that Helldivers 2 on PC would somehow read their data).

PC Master Complainer Race doesn't pay to play the game online AND they still find something to bitch about.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
PC Master Complainer Race doesn't pay to pay the game online AND they still find something to bitch about.
Well, it would be nice in Sony's side to keep the online MP for paid games free. According to a couple surveys the main reason to subscribe by far were the games, not the online MP.

So they'd lose a tiny portion of subbers/revenue but at least we'd get rid of that comparision and maybe more people would play more multiplatform MP games on PS, further increasing their PSN MAU, play time, etc (which in long term means more games and addon sales from PSN).

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
You need a PSN account though. Which means you're creating a random one. Which also means you're breaking Sony's ToS by giving them "false info" in this case the country you live in). Now there are hundreds of thousands of people with accounts like that on PS alone and it's 99% certain that it'll be fine. But just the thought of that is ridiculous.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

This is by far the worst offense in the middle of it all. People with hundreds of hours and real money thrown into the supercredits store will now be effectively banned from the game.

I wonder if Sony and Arrowhead are going to try to push through with this. What a waste on a great run they were having.

I think it's fair.

Where is pan not available?
PSN is available in 69 out of the 190 countries in this world, so it's easier to ask the other way around.

But if you want some flagrant examples, there's no PSN in EU's Baltic states (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania). Egypt is also out. At least in the Baltics the game was bought legally on Steam.

And since the games were bought on the EU, I wonder if the EU will bring the hammer down on Sony pretty hard. Wouldn't be a first.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
And since the games were bought on the EU, I wonder if the EU will bring the hammer down on Sony pretty hard. Wouldn't be a first.
This will definitely be an issue. And not only that, Bosnia and Serbia, while not in the EU, both have legal Steam support but no PSN support. Wonder if Steam will be forced to refund these games.

This is a PR disaster.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You need a PSN account though. Which means you're creating a random one. Which also means you're breaking Sony's ToS by giving them "false info" in this case the country you live in). Now there are hundreds of thousands of people with accounts like that on PS alone and it's 99% certain that it'll be fine. But just the thought of that is ridiculous.
To create an account and link it takes a minute and doesn't change the game experience at all: doesn't require you to open an external launcher, doesn't require you to login again, nothing.

And obviously nobody in Sony is going to be travelling to the home of the many dozens of millions of PSN users to verify if that person is real and lives there. Sony only would care about verifying the data maybe in case you make a purchase with a stolen credit card or something like that and they have to report it to the police (but in that case I assume they'd send them the IP and date and time the transaction was made).

PSN is available in 69 out of the 190 countries in this world, so it's easier to ask the other way around.
This will definitely be an issue. And not only that, Bosnia and Serbia, while not in the EU, both have legal Steam support but no PSN support. Wonder if Steam will be forced to refund these games.

This is a PR disaster.

You don't need to have PSN available in your country to create an account. You can create an account from another country, you only need an email address, the name of a city from there and one of its postal codes.

I just created a USA one on the playstation.com website in under a minute, only required to choose a city (I did choose Los Angeles) and google a postal code from there (90002). Seems that they no longer require you to enter an adress, just city and a postal code.

For the name of the user, I did put Chuck Norris again.

I don't see the reason to force refunds.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: The Icon