Joseph Staten, head of creative on Halo Infinite and cinematic director on the first three Halo games, is leaving Microsoft

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

Joseph Staten, head of creative on Halo Infinite and cinematic director on the first three Halo games, is leaving Microsoft, the company has confirmed to IGN.

In its message, Microsoft did not say where Staten was headed next, nor the reason he was leaving Microsoft after nine years.

“We’re grateful for Joseph’s contributions to the Halo franchise and Xbox as a whole," the statement from a Microsoft spokesperson reads. "We wish him all the best in his new adventure.”

Staten has long been one of the best-known names behind the Halo franchise, having been cinematic director on Combat Evolved, Halo 2, and Halo 3, and having served as lead writer on Destiny while with Bungie.

Last edited:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
laird-titanic.gif

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
343 is cooked
The Initiative was basically disbanded
The most senior people at Playground Games have abandoned ship
Mikami jumped ship at first opportunity

Just non stop talent leaking says alot about Microsoft as a company

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
343 is cooked

Don't forget how they just shitcanned their entire metaverse business and hololens/mixed reality teams. Microsoft is a shitshow right now, being held together by their monopoly on operating systems in most business environments.

D

Deleted member 417

“We’re grateful for Joseph’s contributions to the Halo franchise and Xbox as a whole," the statement from a Microsoft spokesperson reads. "We wish him all the best in his new adventure.”

That reads like a termination letter.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Those tweets, man if any psychologist out there wants to study cults and cult behavior, the Xbox series s/x is the quintessential case study.

Anyways, I’m surprised he stayed as long as he did. I bet he either goes to ea or back to bungie. I guess he could go to Activision because lord knows they’ll need a guy like him to polish up cod when all the lead developers leave.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Those tweets, man if any psychologist out there wants to study cults and cult behavior, the Xbox series s/x is the quintessential case study.

Anyways, I’m surprised he stayed as long as he did. I bet he either goes to ea or back to bungie. I guess he could go to Activision because lord knows they’ll need a guy like him to polish up cod when all the lead developers leave.

2 tweets, which are heavily outweighed by a large amount of thanks and good luck. LOL.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

Correct on the cult behaviour.

He got fired from Bungie so he's not going back there, though. That the rat mothership brought him in to help polish the turd that is Infinite is a sign that he's capable, so I do hope Sony scoops him up, not least because of the meltdowns.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023

2e60fc57-282b-44ff-ba91-e2bec315a1b5_text.gif

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Correct on the cult behaviour.

He got fired from Bungie so he's not going back there, though. That the rat mothership brought him in to help polish the turd that is Infinite is a sign that he's capable, so I do hope Sony scoops him up, not least because of the meltdowns.
343 hired him to give the appearance of caring about Halo, since he was a big name from the past, and because his personal politics fit their goals, not because of ability.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
343 is cooked

Some regulator must block the acquisition, they are going to dominate gaming with their monopoly!