Matt Piscatella: PS5 unit sales are trending 7% ahead of PS4, and 66% ahead of PS3 launch-aligned in the US

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not happening. Neither are people choosing a 1000 dollar PC to play Sony games instead.

What you will be seeing is people who already own a PC not bothering to get a PS5 to play a handful of exclusives.

They will come to PC eventually.

I’m totally against the PC ports but the truth is it hasn’t affected PS5 sales.

The price of the console and inflation have.

Next generation will be another matter and if they go Day 1 it will be a total disaster.
Same way people that only played on Xbox wouldn't ever chose PC.

PC is very apealing and it only lacks a better form factor to capture even more of the console marketshare.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Not happening. Neither are people choosing a 1000 dollar PC to play Sony games instead.

What you will be seeing is people who already own a PC not bothering to get a PS5 to play a handful of exclusives.

They will come to PC eventually.

I’m totally against the PC ports but the truth is it hasn’t affected PS5 sales.

The price of the console and inflation have.

Next generation will be another matter and if they go Day 1 it will be a total disaster.
it affected, of course. but not much, for now.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Stop the cap, I bet you were saying the PS5 was going to sell better than the Switch given how hard you guys cheerlead for Sony.
That is something we can discuss and think a bit about...

What should be PS5 sales if it had normal and regular price cuts like previous consoles?
I mean if it was $399 today how many should it had sold?
If it was $299 then how many?

People normally forget price is one of the key drivers of sales.

I can say that if PS5 had a price cut like others consoles it should be way ahead PS4 right now launch aligned.... like 3-4 million ahead.
Compare it with Switch sales should be a better take than compare it with PS4 imo.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
pretty much everyone agreed that the PS5 had potential to dethrone the PS2.
Idk about that one. Not while they keep pushing cutting edge hardware, i'd say that's impossible. If they launched a $299 Ps5 in 2020 maybe id agree. Ps2 sold because it was cheap and effective. Cheap isnt what Sony wants this brand to be anymore.

Edit: reading more of this thread and man you guys were projecting quite high for sony this gen. I assumed 100-130m for this gen.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Before this generation started, pretty much everyone agreed that the PS5 had potential to dethrone the PS2. And now the bar has fallen so low that 100m would be acceptable.
Not sure about this take.
PS2 level of sales was always unknow.
What we can agree is that most here have PS5 ahead PS4 in sales.
It just didn't happen because Sony keep PS5 price rising.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023
I hate to talk about politics and I don't want to go ot but I will say it
Europe fucked themselves with the russia sanction
Why cuz all European countries depend on Russia
And now they're facing a disaster economic situation and high inflation
Eu thought the rest of the world will join the sanction hysteria but countries like China India and all gulf countries Africa are still doing business with Russia which fucked the eu more
Now the people are suffering in eu with high costs everywhere and the funny strange thing is Russia economy is blooming now
Sorry for my off topic comment
I just wanted to share my opinion about Europe economy

Last edited:

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
It's still possible, it just depends if the price ever gets cut, and if the ps5 still sells well 2027-28. If they thug this gen at $499 and $450 They'll top off at about 105 million.

Reactions: ethomaz

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Could anyone name another console in history which has had a price increase after launch?

That in its 4th year.

Reactions: voke and ethomaz

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Launch aligned, PlayStation 5 is behind PlayStation 4 by 800K units which considering the fact that PlayStation 5 is $500 while PlayStation 4 Slim was at $300 plus this generation had a year shortage in hardware and components due to Covid, I would say that Sony is doing far better than you would think/expect knowing these facts. Imagine if Covid never happened and/or PS5 was at $400 or $300.

Sony and PlayStation 5 is simply on fire!!! Hyped for their showcase!!

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Could anyone name another console in history which has had a price increase after launch?

That in its 4th year.
Nobody can.

All consoles did have one or more price cut before it 4th year.

Not having a price cut plus having a rise in price in it biggest region is something probably never saw in console business.

Reactions: Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Nobody can.

All consoles did have one or more price cut before it 4th year.

Not having a price cut plus having a rise in price in it biggest region is something probably never saw in console business.

So true.

Ironically the people expecting PS2 level sales fail to realise the PS5 is ahead of the PS2 in the same timeframe.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
About PS5 lifetime sales.... we didn't have Iconera at time so I will use others places.

These predictions were made right when PS5 launched in November 2020.
Most voted options.

100-120m 39.4%
120-140m 26%
80-100m 13.5%

These predictions were made before PS5 launched in October 2020.
Mmost voted options.

100-110m 25.2%
110-120m 20.3%
> 130m 17.2%

I don't think anybody predicted PS5 selling like PS2.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Say that to 6 million units sold (at least half of 12 million of HD2), it grew where there was just few thousands before.
I wrote SP as in single player to make sure I wouldn't get these replies 🤭

I don't consider Helldivers and Destiny on PC as "growing their platform".

The PS brand is God Of War, Spider-Man, Horizon, Ratchet, Uncharted, TLOU, GOT, etc. They gave it all away for nothing.

Imagine if all these Helldivers PC fans get a PS5 to play all these amazing Sony exclusives. THAT would be growth not whatever garbage strategy they did.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Yes, while in other parts of the world, they try to help people by lowering costs of fuel etc, in europe they tend to just raise fuel prices further along with taxes. So many people just cant justify buying even a console.
Its definitely the price of the console that's holding it back in EU. (with the rise in cost of living)

In Sweden there are some new green taxes like electronics/chemicals tax that bumps up e.g PS5 price with almost additional 50€ on top of the Sony price hike.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Are you saying they committed investor fraud, which is a crime, and cooked the numbers because of..... reasons?
Investor fraud? The thing that every social media, streaming company and the whole industry does?

I'm not off down this rabbit hole.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

toucandela

24 Sep 2022
mishmash.games
Let's also take into consideration the massive drop in sales of Xbox. Where are they going instead?
IMO. Playstation has been picking up some people from Xbox. Switch is picking up people from both Playstation and Xbox. Also think many are exiting console and settling for low/mid PC gaming (including Steamdeck) in a market saturated with games (deals and free on big older titles). Also increasing use of streaming and mobile this gen. The market is very competitive even if Playstation is dominating high end console.

PS6 era could be very interesting.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters