SIE is recruiting for program compatibility system development between different CPU architectures

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Job Description(Roles & Responsibilities)
Develop systems to enable programs developed for our entertainment game consoles to run on game consoles with different architectures. Specifically, we will enable a large number of game titles developed for PlayStation to run on the new architecture system.
This system must be equipped with a mechanism to facilitate defect analysis in the event of problems.
Skills and Qualifications
Required (MUST)
Experience in program development using C/C++ language
Familiarity with recent major CPU architectures
Experience in assembly language development for one or more of these architectures
Familiarity with JIT/AOT technologies
Ability to read and discuss technical documents in English with overseas developers.
WELCOME (WANT)
Knowledge of the structure and implementation of major game engines such as Unity, UnrealEngine, etc.
Experience in game program development.
Ability to verbally discuss technical issues with English speakers.

Maybe an ARM based PlayStation handheld?

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Maybe an ARM based PlayStation handheld?

This is what it sounds like. Not necessarily ARM, but this would be the case if Sony's trying to get their PS5 games to run on a handheld system that doesn't use the same architecture as the PS5.

"we will enable a large number of game titles developed for PlayStation to run on the new architecture system."

That's massive and logically only applies to a handheld. However, if the description is a bit deceptive, it could also refer to MacOS.

Reactions: Ico and Gamernyc78
15 May 2024
Yeah, probably ARM based CPU for PS6. Also it doesn't mean ARM based will guarantee Nvidia based GPU, even AMD already invest and researching into ARM. Hell even Radeon GPU's + ARM based APU can also happening.

Seeing how bad X86 CPU is getting bloated with unnecessary function and how flexible ARM is for specific type app and programs it's why ARM will be the futures for consoles.

The reason why Sony jump to X86 and ditch RISC CPU types like Cell (based on Power PC) is because cost on developing, hard to developed, not mainstream ARM and already matures in term technologies and already mainstream on Mobiles and specific platform (Apple , Server and AI) .

I hopes it will not cost them ditching backwards compatibilities if it's moving to ARM based. I hope if it's developed by AMD , AMD can sort some function of their X86 instruction to run on ARM.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
Sony isn’t going with Nvidia, it makes no sense. ARM though? Makes sense specially when you consider they would become the odd man out when everyone seems to be moving towards ARM.

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
Conversely, it could also just mean creating emulators of PS1, PS2, and PS3 for PS4, PS5, and PS6.
Develop systems to enable programs developed for our entertainment game consoles to run on game consoles with different architectures. Specifically, we will enable a large number of game titles developed for PlayStation to run on the new architecture system.
This tells me that it's meant for current games to run on some future different CPU.

Since GPU calls in modern PlayStation consoles are all handled by APIs (GNM, GNMx) it wouldn't be too hard to make those same APIs run on a new GPU. But a different CPU, like going to ARM, would require a translation layer like how Apple has Rosetta 2 for its Apple Silicon-based Mac computers so they can run apps made for x86-based Macs.

This new tells me Sony is prepping for a potential move away from x86 and to ARM CPUs. It's very possible that both Sony and Microsoft will be headed this way for their next gen.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I think people might be reading too much into this.

x86 and ARM aren't architectures. They're a family of architectures. The PS4's Jaguar uses a different architecture to the PS5's Zen2. The PS3 used a different architecture from a different family (PowerPC), and the PS2 yet another different architecture from a different family (MIPS).

But if the PS6 uses a Zen5 or Zen6 CPU, it'll be a different architecture to the current Zen2.

It's not that Sony isn't working on an ARM console that runs PS4 and PS5 games. It's just that this doesn't prove it.
I honestly don't really see much of an advantage in going with ARM for the PS6 at this point.

With all the effort Sony is putting into PC ports plus all the people complaining about better BC at launch, why would they switch CPU architectures to an ISA that is so different and incompatible with both the PC and their 2 earlier console generations?

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
For the purposes of the listing, they would not need to hire people to make programs for existing software to run on a new architecture if it was just going from Zen 2 to Zen 5 or whatever it's going to be in the x86 world. The way this is written implies a move to an entirely different instruction set.

• Heart
Reactions: Dual Sense Master

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I think people might be reading too much into this.

x86 and ARM aren't architectures. They're a family of architectures. The PS4's Jaguar uses a different architecture to the PS5's Zen2. The PS3 used a different architecture from a different family (PowerPC), and the PS2 yet another different architecture from a different family (MIPS).

But if the PS6 uses a Zen5 or Zen6 CPU, it'll be a different architecture to the current Zen2.

It's not that Sony isn't working on an ARM console that runs PS4 and PS5 games. It's just that this doesn't prove it.
I honestly don't really see much of an advantage in going with ARM for the PS6 at this point.

With all the effort Sony is putting into PC ports plus all the people complaining about better BC at launch, why would they switch CPU architectures to an ISA that is so different and incompatible with both the PC and their 2 earlier console generations?

I think where the most merit is in reducing costs. If they're able to significantly reduce costs now those savings will pay dividends in the future.

I would also say they need as much cost advantage and power efficiency as they can on a handheld system. So it makes sense to have the handheld system share similar architecture of the next console too.

With ARM + AI Upscaling, you could really give Nintendo a run for their money, especially if the Switch 2 has neither.