Sony has generated approximately $700 million from PC ports & releases on other platforms for the last fiscal year

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
On a yearly basis, Sony sold 286.4 million games in FY23.
• First party - 39.7 million (~14% of total)
• Third-party - 246.7 million (~86% of total)

GNn_TXAXsAAnw-d

• Shake
Reactions: Gamernyc78

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Does somebody know if in this revenue there is also whatever they earn for publishing third party games in other regions, like they did with COD in Japan in the past? I don't know where else this kind of revenue could be included otherwise.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
This slide is misinformation.

That is everything others in PS financials that indeed include PC.
I'm not sure why people are taking these as PC only revenue lol

It includes:

• Destiny 2 on Xbox, PC
  • The Show on Xbox, PC and Switch
  • PC Ports
  • Maybe something else?

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Maybe something else?
Until now nobody gave me an answer. I assume this is also included:
Does somebody know if in this revenue there is also whatever they earn for publishing third party games in other regions, like they did with COD in Japan in the past? I don't know where else this kind of revenue could be included otherwise.

It would contain for example whatever revenue they got for publishing FF16 in Asia (without Japan), although it's probably not much.

Reactions: ethomaz

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
That graph is absolutely pathetic, awful numbers. I bet many of those single player ports were not even profitable if you factor that those same devs that worked on it could've been doing something else.

Helldivers 2 is completely hiding how poorly their single player AAA releases are doing on PC. They should pause all single player porting efforts and force Denuvo on anything going forward.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Bring Bloodborne and demons souls with Denuvo. It's asnine how Sony doent put Denuvo for a year at least.
Finally we agree on something. Denuvo would at least allow us to see how much these releases actually appeal to PC players.

Revenue from outside of PS sources: 700M
Revenue loss from 5.2M consoles they didn't sell because they have no compelling reason to buy one: 2.1B
Revenue loss from people that have not moved to PS5 and from those that have just left for PC: ❓

Big brain Sony!(y)
Each console they didn't sell would generate additional revenue for years. Nobody actually buys a PlayStation just for exclusives. If not for exclusive I would've never gotten a PSP, PS3, PSV, PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Until now nobody gave me an answer. I assume this is also included:

It would contain for example whatever revenue they got for publishing FF16 in Asia (without Japan), although it's probably not much.
That can be the case.
Sony is not very open about what is Others... I will try to find some doc.

Reactions: arvfab

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Each console they didn't sell would generate additional revenue for years. Nobody actually buys a PlayStation just for exclusives. If not for exclusive I would've never gotten a PSP, PS3, PSV, PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5.

4142657-screenshot2023-05-24at8.44.47am.png

So we have 5.2M console sales lost so far + $622 from each user = 3.2B in lifetime user revenue + 2.1B in console sales revenue. Considering the compound effects of their strategy, we're potentially talking about 10B or more until the end of the generation.

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I found some small text about others..

2 and 7.

2) In Q1 FY23, sales of first-party titles on platforms other than PlayStation® consoles have been reclassified from Others into Other Software, anew category included within Game Software. Sales amounts for Game Software and Others for FY22 have been reclassified to conform to thenew categorization.

7) Other Software is revenue from sales of first-party titles, including add-on content, on platforms other than PlayStation® consoles.

• Informative
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
From the 700 millions, more than 50% is from Destiny and Helldivers. It's not new growth from PS ports.

The next expansion for Destiny is out soon, expect the numbers to be higher next year. Meaningless.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Nobody actually buys a PlayStation just for exclusives.

Yes. It used to be the case with the subset of users Sony is targeting by bringing their games to PC. Sony does not earn much money if a PC gamer buys a used console and 5 or 6 cheap games late on the lifecycle. They might as well buy them at a higher price on PC.

Their failure was keeping releasing games without protection and the quality of some ports.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
No, this "other software" is only game revenue (game sales+addons) from 1st party games made in non-PS gaming platforms.

Meaning, "Other software" the revenue made by SIE games in PC + Destiny 2 in Xbox + Sony's cut of Xbox and Switch versions of MLB.

Sony published games like CoD, Destiny 1 or Destiny 2 in Japan, but only for PS. So not included under "other software". This revenue is included instead under the "first party revenue" subset of their console software revenue.

From the 700 millions, more than 50% is from Destiny and Helldivers. It's not new growth from PS ports.

The next expansion for Destiny is out soon, expect the numbers to be higher next year. Meaningless.
The part of the year reported for FY23 before Helldivers 2 (Q1+Q2+Q3) also had an increase over the same period of FY22. Ignoring the rumors of Lightfall underperforming and assuming Destiny 2 had the same revenue in FY23 than in FY22, the PC ports revenue would have increased these 3 quarters. If the rumors would be real then the increase from PC ports would be even higher.

They estimated to have Destiny 2 The Final Shape released in FY23, but got delayed to FY24, meaning these 700 millions should have less revenue from Destiny than in FY22 than they expected when forecasting $450M PC revenue for FY23 last year.

That graph is absolutely pathetic, awful numbers. I bet many of those single player ports were not even profitable if you factor that those same devs that worked on it could've been doing something else.
Wrong, all the Sony PC ports are profitable.

The PC ports only cost a couple millions, even the Sackboy port, the worse selling one, has been profitable.

The GoT PC port got profitable literally in under 2 hours because in 2 hours had more CCUs than copies sold needed to become profitable.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This slide is misinformation.

That is everything others in PS financials that indeed include PC.
I'm not sure why people are taking these as PC only revenue lol

It includes:

• Destiny 2 on Xbox, PC
  • The Show on Xbox, PC and Switch
  • PC Ports
  • Maybe something else?
Yeah Jah said as much.