Square Enix goes multiplatform, focus on quality then quantity

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
I get PC, but wasting resources on Xbox, a platform based upon a model where their players don't buy games. :ROFLMAO:

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming

Justin Hartley Nbc GIF by This Is Us

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
"Square needs to do like Capcom, they need to be on Switch if they don't want to lose Japan."

Meanwhile Capcom:

SF6 not on Switch
RE4 Remake not on Switch
Dragons Dogma 2 not on Switch

These people are so dumb. Basically If it's on Xbox like Capcom it would be fine 🤡

Square already have more exclusives on Switch than Playstation but it doesn't count 🙄

24 Jun 2022
"Square needs to do like Capcom, they need to be on Switch if they don't want to lose Japan."

Meanwhile Capcom:

SF6 not on Switch
RE4 Remake not on Switch
Dragons Dogma 2 not on Switch

These people are so dumb. Basically If it's on Xbox like Capcom it would be fine 🤡

Square already have more exclusives on Switch than Playstation but it doesn't count 🙄

TBF the Japanese sales of those games weren't great. If they were on Switch, they would've sold a lot more copies in that region.

Switch 3P games in Japan are regularly doing 2-3x the PS4/PS5 numbers combined. And needless to say, magnitudes more than Xbox, which is so terrible in software sales there, they never even chart!

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
TBF the Japanese sales of those games weren't great. If they were on Switch, they would've sold a lot more copies in that region.

Switch 3P games in Japan are regularly doing 2-3x the PS4/PS5 numbers combined. And needless to say, magnitudes more than Xbox, which is so terrible in software sales there, they never even chart!

SF6 and RE4R are locked in for a Switch 2 port, they have a PS4 version.

DD2 though... That game has absolute ass performance across the board and the multi threading on cores is so ass that even high end PC CPUs still have issues with that game depending on what's happening.

Considering this is the first open world RE engine game, kind of not great for Capcom.

Hopefully for them, this is not a sign of things to come for Monster Hunter: Wilds which looked to be a lot more expansive with more monsters at the same time than previous entries(if the small reveal trailer is representative of the game experience).

It might just be a DD problem, because the OG DD was also horrible in terms of performance on the PS3/360 versions.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
looks multiplatform enough for me.
image0.jpg
See this what im talking about. Why are people acting like they've only been doing ps5 exclusives. they've done 3. They've BEEN multiplatform, people are just so eager to make a partnership with Sony look bad.

Reactions: Johnic

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
See this what im talking about. Why are people acting like they've only been doing ps5 exclusives. they've done 3. They've BEEN multiplatform, people are just so eager to make a partnership with Sony look bad.
Most of titles in that list are PC/PS5 or Switch.
It is not exactly multiplatform like Square Enix if telling you in their financials.

They want most of their games in most platform... not one or two like it is today.
They don't want to have 2 titles released in Xbox... they want to have all of them to Microsoft help to put the ads on the billboards.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
image0.jpg
And it will look exactly like this moving forward. I think the timing of Square reaffirming their multiplat plan and Sega doing the same thing has a lot to do with Nintendo officially announcing the next Switch being real. They are smiling at being able to port more games for a more powerful Switch. Square and Sega only need PS, PC, and Nintendo. Nothing is going to change with their Xbox ports because it won't sell over there.

Reactions: Luffy123

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
This looks way more like them trying to justify to investors something that is out of their control. It makes no sense for Sony to pay for temporary exclusive to keep games from releasing on Xbox at this point.

Porting those games to Xbox at this point probably doesn't even justifies the cost of the port unless MS is willing to pay for it.

image0.jpg
Xbox ports are going to save them. :ROFLMAO:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I don't get the big deal. They were never owned by Sony and were always a 3rd party publisher? They had a timed exclusivity deal for 4 FF games. I don't get it...

And funny how no one mentions that this means dear old Nintendo also loses all the exclusives they had with Square? Where's the concern over that?

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I don't get the big deal. They were never owned by Sony and were always a 3rd party publisher?

And funny how no one mentions that this means dear old Nintendo also loses all the exclusives they had with Square? Where's the concern over that?

Yeah, the biggest loser here is Nintendo.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
So they canceled couple games mid development and had smaller than projected profits? mmo segment down?

But its all due to ps5 exclusives? Usual fud campaign on twitter.

i d bet my house they ll make still exclusives for switch or ps5. Lets see their moves

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I don't get the big deal. They were never owned by Sony and were always a 3rd party publisher?

That has an explanation the way I see it:

Some Old gen X/milennial Sony gamers went through a decade or more of pseudo monopolistic dominance by their brand in the PS1 and 2 eras. Mainly thanks to Sega and Nintendo dropping the ball 2 generations in a row which caused lots of games, mainly from Japan, becoming de facto exclusives, even without deals signed.

They genuinely believed that publishers and certain franchises should "pledge allegiance" to Sony first and foremost. That certain third party IPs were deeply related to the identity of the brand (Metal gear, FF, DMC, you name it) when they were nothing more than third party games.

This is why you saw the worst meltdowns when a publisher DARED to release a game in another platform outside of PS. Remember when DMC IV and FFXIII were announced for Xbox 360 alongside PS3. Just multiplats, not even exclusives...

Quite the interesting fauna to me.

Last edited: