Steam will only become a more direct competitor to PlayStation in the future.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

Not only does Valve has the defacto storefront in PC with Steam its has its own “hybrid console hardware” w the Steamdeck but it seems likely they’ll start ramping up publishing new games in the future which will be exclusive to Steam. Steam now has Xbox, PS & its own Steam & PC exclusive games locked to its own platform/storefront

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think they will replace Xbox. And they won’t rush it or cost them too much more than Steamdeck investment wise.

Steamdeck is the testing waters for them to release something as a home console type of device.
Then 3rd Parties will start making similar devices like Asus etc, that play SteamOS.

Then they wont have too many costs and investments, but will slowly slowly expand into the console market.
Theres games are cheaper, no fee’s for online and will play Windows/Xbox games and some Playstation games.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Steam keeps all their games exclusives and they get zero backlash. They even get praise for not releasing new games in decades.

"Steam is the way to do it" if Sony goes 2 months without announcing anything 🤦‍♂️

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Valve will never have distribution sorted out to compete with MS Sony or Nintendo.
The device will remain niche.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Valve will obviously release SteamOS devices in console-like form factor. Steam Deck was a proof of concept and a way for SteamOS to mature while catering to a niche market.

Reactions: Luffy123
OP
OP
N

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I think they will replace Xbox. And they won’t rush it or cost them too much more than Steamdeck investment wise.

Steamdeck is the testing waters for them to release something as a home console type of device.
Then 3rd Parties will start making similar devices like Asus etc, that play SteamOS.

Then they wont have too many costs and investments, but will slowly slowly expand into the console market.
Theres games are cheaper, no fee’s for online and will play Windows/Xbox games and some Playstation games.
They will slowly transition to the console market but it won’t be the traditional box console it will be the hybrid handheld console that can be dock to a tv/monitor.

I do agree that Steam will replace Xbox.

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
N

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
that's why Sony needs to delist all their games and publish only on their own launcher
Even if Sony publish PlayStation PC games on there PS PC launcher open devices like Steamdeck & maybe Xbox in the future if it’s more open will allow you to still access PS games through the PS PC launcher.

Overall PS is fuck. Sony fucked PS console & storefront. The only way Sony can have control of PS games especially singleplayer is having them permanent exclusive to PS console. Live service & mobile should release across multiple platform except Gran Turismo

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Valve isn't going to release a home console. There's no point. The home console is either a docked Deck, or your PC.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
I've been thinking that keeping Valve out of the console space might be the real reason behind Sony's otherwise nonsensical pc ports. Maybe Gabe Newell threatened Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer with releasing a console if they didn't port their games to Steam. Maybe he tried to do the same to Nintendo, they told him to fuck off and he made the Steam Deck.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I've been thinking that keeping Valve out of the console space might be the real reason behind Sony's otherwise nonsensical pc ports. Maybe Gabe Newell threatened Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer with releasing a console if they didn't port their games to Steam. Maybe he tried to do the same to Nintendo, they told him to fuck off and he made the Steam Deck.

Nah, this very dumb and dangerous idea of porting games to PC is all Sony's own fault. Probably some MS moles between the investors giving them pressure.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes, PSN will be the first serious competitor for Steam as gaming PC store.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They will slowly transition to the console market but it won’t be the traditional box console it will be the hybrid handheld console that can be dock to a tv/monitor.

I do agree that Steam will replace Xbox.
I think they will do a Dock, but I think they will also do something more powerful

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Here we go, classic what about ism
"But what about xbox and steam"

The competition being shit doesn't excuse Sony's lack of communication with fans.
If Sony wants to compete, they could try you know actually releasing games?
it isn't whataboutism, take into account context, it is impossible to compete without comparing to competition. that makes it not about whataboutism.

whataboutism, for.epl would be if you Say :

Sony released just two games this year, they are dog shit.

(you get offended) and You Say : what about xbox? they shittier, released 0.