What if Sony offers Decima Engine for 3rd Party devs for free?

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Decima is probably the best looking engine on the market. Maybe even on par with UE5. Sony could put conditions like for only developing games for PlayStation amd PC, so no worries to accidentally help creating games for rival platform holders.
We have seen smaller Studios like Bend and Housemarque using the Decima, and the games looking visually impressive. Even Kojima a renowned developer legend trusting Decima. I wonder how games could look by 3rd Party devs?

Last edited:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Won't happen. Unreal Engine/Unity are the standards. How costly it would be for these developers to learn the ins and outs of the engine, instead of sticking to what they know.

Wing84

7 Feb 2024
Sony is SLLLOOOOOWWWLLY trying to take control of Epic and I'm guessing it's because of their engine (used in movies, TV and gaming) alongside Fortnite. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony realized that they could just create a competitor to Unreal Engine via Decima after seeing how things worked out with Kojima Productions. I hope Helldivers 3 will be based on Decima.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Sony is SLLLOOOOOWWWLLY trying to take control of Epic and I'm guessing it's because of their engine (used in movies, TV and gaming) alongside Fortnite. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony realized that they could just create a competitor to Unreal Engine via Decima after seeing how things worked out with Kojima Productions. I hope Helldivers 3 will be based on Decima.

I rather Sony make games than becoming a call center for other developers' technical issues, increase its operational costs, and then get nothing in return.

Reactions: anonpuffs

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
They are probably giving it to Valve for free and expect nothing in return.
If they start using it isn't that pretty much what they get back in return? Although I don't think third parties who aren't working on something Sony are using it, I doubt Sony would give it for free to anyone else.

Companies starts using your engine, and if others starts seeing how good it is then it could be up there with in terms of use.

Thatgenericeric

Advocate of quality
Icon Extra
6 Mar 2024
It's a fantastic engine. But like anything else, if you're good at something, don't do it for free.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Well not entirely free, but with certain license agreements. Like eg: only to use the Decima Engine to develop games for PlayStation and PC.

Wing84

7 Feb 2024
I rather Sony make games than becoming a call center for other developers' technical issues, increase its operational costs, and then get nothing in return.
Ummm. PlayStation literally has a team already that does that...

24 Jun 2022
If they start using it isn't that pretty much what they get back in return? Although I don't think third parties who aren't working on something Sony are using it, I doubt Sony would give it for free to anyone else.

Companies starts using your engine, and if others starts seeing how good it is then it could be up there with in terms of use.

It doesn't make money sense.

Giving the engine away to other devs for free just to build up the number of users is no different than chasing MAU.

As Xbox are showing the gaming world, MAUs don't mean shit unless they get you dollars, bitch.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Ummm. PlayStation literally has a team already that does that...

I don’t think it’s the same having to run tech support for an engine as helping a few devs to make a game coming to PS5.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The moment Kojima Production was extremely successful using it they should've made it available to more devs. For some reason they went in the opposite direction and even the Until Dawn Remake uses Unreal instead of Decima.

Sony is too basic these days to attempt to do anything ambitious.