12 Years and $700 Million Later, What's Going on With Star Citizen's Development?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don’t believe in Tom Henderson but I thought the subject is interesting enough to discuss here…

I mean the game is in development for 12 years and people donate (or brought jpeg of ships at $1000) to the project over $700 million.

Plus if Henderson is right they are running out of money lol

It remains to be seen how CIG will continue developing its games as its funds seemingly dwindle, but the studio is actively seeking additional funding and ideas to prolong development.

IMO it is probably the biggest scam in the gaming history.

Men_in_Boxes

Veteran
18 Aug 2024
Scams don't usually work long term. Star Citizen seems to be building momentum rather than losing it, which is a signifier the player base is happy with the project. The snake oil salesman usually gets out of town before the townsfolk realize they were sold a bottle of dirty water.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I remember people laughing their asses off over this game a decade ago and, yeah, its still funny.

Reactions: Johnic

SuperPotato

Veteran
1 Mar 2024
This is where your money went.

ow8lceayov741.png

SuperPotato

Veteran
1 Mar 2024

Unlike Chris Roberts, this guy has actually released games tho.

Star Citizen has been in development since 2010. In that time frame we got:

Killzone 3
Killzone Shadow Fall
Horizon Zero Dawn
Horizon Frozen Wilds
Horizon Forbidden West
Horizo Burning Shores
Horizon Call of the Mountain

Meanwhile, Star Citizen isn't even in beta.

Last edited:

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024

Killzone 3
Killzone Shadow Fall
Horizon Zero Dawn
Horizon Frozen Wilds
Horizon Forbidden West
Horizo Burning Shores

Men in boxes alt?

Scam citizen is the biggest Ponzi scheme in gaming. I can't even be mad at the hustle. People keep giving these fraudsters money.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Lol this game will never come out. I wouldn't be suprised if it ends up getting up to 1 billion

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
I don’t believe in Tom Henderson but I thought the subject is interesting enough to discuss here…

I mean the game is in development for 12 years and people donate (or brought jpeg of ships at $1000) to the project over $700 million.

It's called Scam Citizen for a reason. This game will never see an RC version because it would've been released as a full game already after 12 years.

It basically a bottomless GaaS title stuck in Alpha phase.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

It's called Scam Citizen for a reason.
Scam citizen is the biggest Ponzi scheme in gaming.
This game is a scam.
Scams don't usually work long term.

It's nonsensical and stupid to talk about a scam, they released stuff and keep showing progress. It takes time because it's super ambitious. This weekend they had the yearly event where they show the progress made, and looks great. I know a guy who works there, he just shared this thread (in Spanish):

Killzone 3
Killzone Shadow Fall
Horizon Zero Dawn
Horizon Frozen Wilds
Horizon Forbidden West
Horizo Burning Shores

Maybe it's because it's bigger and more ambitious than all of them combined and started with a smaller team.

Last edited:

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
It's nonsensical and stupid to talk about a scam, they released stuff and keep showing progress. It takes time because it's super ambitious. This weekend they had the yearly event where they show the progress made, and looks great. I know a guy who works there, he just shared this thread (in Spanish):

No. 12 years on, out of money, still no official release in any way, shape or form = SCAM

Doesn't matter if your buddy works there. It's a scam.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
No. 12 years on, out of money, still no official release in any way, shape or form = SCAM

Doesn't matter if your buddy works there. It's a scam.
Seems you don't know what a scam is, and that devs don't work for free and need time to make the games.

To make games require money and time, and the bigger they are the more money and time they require. This is specially huge (I'd say the most ambitious game ever), so requires a specially huge amount of money and time. There's no scam here. They kept showing what they are doing with the money.