36 Iconic moments from PlayStation Showcases - Mystic (Youtube)

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
This is why I love E3 and people are crazy for celebrating and acting like it doesn’t matter that it will possibly be gone.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75 and Remij

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
And this is why I miss these huge conferences. Just hearing the people's reaction and being swept up in the hype is great. Remember the FFVII remake and Shenmue 3 reactions?

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75 and Remij

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
And this is why I miss these huge conferences. Just hearing the people's reaction and being swept up in the hype is great. Remember the FFVII remake and Shenmue 3 reactions?
That's really the magic of it all. You don't get anything close to that same feeling watching SoPs and Directs as you did seeing an E3 conference in front of a live audience. The massive cheers and spectacle of it all.. It's really a great disservice IMO to shove everything into a sterile (by comparison) youtube trailer with no follow up.

You know the Breath of the Wild trailer Nintendo released right? This one:

It was an absolutely awesome trailer... but afterwards I couldn't help but think of just how much more impactful it would have been to have that shown at a massive live E3 conference of Nintendo fans. That incredible music filling and echoing through the venue, crowds going completely apeshit afterwards.. That would have been a moment remembered forever, like Twilight Princess.. I'm sure of it.

You just don't get that same visceral genuine reaction and feeling from stuff shown in Directs or SoPs. Sony's God of War intro was the last time I truly felt something similar to those old feelings. God damn that was just incredible. The incredible orchestra, building up to the game.. and then Kratos showing his face and the crowd literally going apeshit. The feeling the developers must get from those reactions would instantly validate all the years of hard work they put into making these games.

There's just something special about seeing some developer or presenter get up on stage to introduce their upcoming game which just ends up blowing away people. We've truly lost a special part of games media.

Last edited:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Yeah, it's not just the fact that the crowd is there and you feed off of that hype. It's also the fact that the entire thing has a much higher production value than these little shows they have on.

Especially these reveals. You just hear the orchestra, the entire theater is dark and then the curtain pulls back and you get a huge reveal. Then the presenters also tease the reveal a bit, making you wonder what it is.

Instead, you get these incredibly sterile showcases with a generic announcer in between each trailer. Such a shame.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yeah, it's not just the fact that the crowd is there and you feed off of that hype. It's also the fact that the entire thing has a much higher production value than these little shows they have on.

Especially these reveals. You just hear the orchestra, the entire theater is dark and then the curtain pulls back and you get a huge reveal. Then the presenters also tease the reveal a bit, making you wonder what it is.

Instead, you get these incredibly sterile showcases with a generic announcer in between each trailer. Such a shame.

So controlled, so lifeless.... robotic.... no energy. That is what they now perceive as the 'superior' way to announce things....

and it sucks so much.

2015 & 2016 were the greatest presentations I ever saw, seeing the Gametrailers crew lose their minds 3 times in a row and then the GOW reveal followed by banger after banger.... unforgettable.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Remij

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Crowds were good but let's not forget how conferences were starting to pad the crowds with fake cheer squads. Bethesda conferences were especially bad with this

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Bioshock Vita :ROFLMAO:

TLoU, FFVII and GoW reveals are why I'm so hooked on these events.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
That's really the magic of it all. You don't get anything close to that same feeling watching SoPs and Directs as you did seeing an E3 conference in front of a live audience. The massive cheers and spectacle of it all.. It's really a great disservice IMO to shove everything into a sterile (by comparison) youtube trailer with no follow up.

You know the Breath of the Wild trailer Nintendo released right? This one:

It was an absolutely awesome trailer... but afterwards I couldn't help but think of just how much more impactful it would have been to have that shown at a massive live E3 conference of Nintendo fans. That incredible music filling and echoing through the venue, crowds going completely apeshit afterwards.. That would have been a moment remembered forever, like Twilight Princess.. I'm sure of it.

You just don't get that same visceral genuine reaction and feeling from stuff shown in Directs or SoPs. Sony's God of War intro was the last time I truly felt something similar to those old feelings. God damn that was just incredible. The incredible orchestra, building up to the game.. and then Kratos showing his face and the crowd literally going apeshit. The feeling the developers must get from those reactions would instantly validate all the years of hard work they put into making these games.

There's just something special about seeing some developer or presenter get up on stage to introduce their upcoming game which just ends up blowing away people. We've truly lost a special part of games media.
You might remember the Twilight Princess demo but I remember Red Steel where they could barely aim on stage, Nintendo switched to pre-recorded events for a reason and other than hype for cringe nothing was lost.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Yeah gonna miss e3, the hype of all the biggest gaming news crammed into a few days is unmatched.

Although annoyingly alot of sonys conferences were always in the early morning in the uk on a work day aswell.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Didn't the game awards pretty much replace E3 anyways?