75% of games sold during August in the UK were digital, a 10% increase compared to 2023

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
The report, which was covered by GamesIndustry.biz, confirmed that in August 2023, 65% of sales in the UK were digital. Over time, consumers in the United Kingdom have given up on physical media, and there are several reasons for that.

Firstly, digital gaming is becoming much easier and more accessible over time, with consoles shipping with larger storage drives and price parity stabilising across the board. Also, internet speeds are getting faster all the time, which means downloading or streaming games is also improving from an experience perspective.

• Informative
Reactions: The Icon

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
None of this means anything until we get a clear distribution split between full games and DLC. buying DLC for a physical game you own counts as a digital game purchase.
And usually, it is 9:1 releases in favour of digital. So naturally the numbers are skewed.

Reactions: arvfab

Landiri

12 Sep 2024
None of this means anything until we get a clear distribution split between full games and DLC. buying DLC for a physical game you own counts as a digital game purchase.
It means that most of the money is made digitally.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
It means that most of the money is made digitally.

Well when one of the platforms is digital only (not counting mobiles), 2 others have digital-only alternatives and the majority of content is digital-only, it would be pretty strange if it wasn't the case.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I use mostly digital but I hope physical needs to stay. 90-10%, I dont care, physical needs to exist

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
even tho that's true, at this point we cannot deny the dominance of digital, i just hope both digital and physical can coexist at the same time