A case for declaring the PS2 the greatest console of all time.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
It was sleek, modern, and had a striking black exterior that looked great in any setup.

And then there was the games - Jak and Daxter, God of War, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Shadow of the Colossus, and many more. The PS2's library was massive, and it was home to some of the greatest games of all time.

But what really set the PS2 apart was its backwards compatibility with the original PlayStation. This allowed players to enjoy a huge selection of classic PS1 games, while also enjoying the latest and greatest titles on the PS2.

And let's not forget the DVD player - this was a game-changer at the time. The PS2 was one of the first consoles to have this feature, and it allowed players to not only play games but also watch movies and other multimedia content on their TV.

The PS2 had many iconic accessories that added to the fun, like the EyeToy camera that allowed players to interact with games using their bodies, and the Guitar Hero controller that helped popularize the rhythm game genre.

Overall, the PlayStation 2 was a console that pushed the boundaries of what was possible in gaming, with its powerful hardware, vast library of games, and unique features like the DVD player and accessories. It truly is the greatest console of all time.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Yea, it probably was the greatest console of its generation, the best generation of all time.

And it has a worthy successor in the Switch.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
There's definitely a strong case for it, I believe.

It was the first real media hub of its time with music and film as well as gaming and backwards compatibility as standard.

It hit the ground running with some of the greatest games ever and never took a rest till well after the PS3 launched.

Legendary console.

Reactions: laynelane and Box
P

peter42O

I'm probably the only person who prefers PS4 and PS over PS2. The Super Slim was a sweet console though as it was so damn small.

Reactions: Bryank75

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Ehhh no. PS2 sold due to DVD gimmick early-on.

Dreamcast had modem Internet and online play games in like 00 if not before. By comparison something like Resident Evil Outbreak File 1 in about 2004 on PS2 barely had online play through DNAS, and the European release never even had online.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

Dreamcast had modem Internet and online play games in like 00 if not before. By comparison something like Resident Evil Outbreak File 1 in about 2004 on PS2 barely had online play through DNAS, and the European release never even had online.
No online play? Add that to the list of PS2 advantages.

Reactions: MaxParrish
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Yeah, the DVD feature was definitely a selling point for the PS2, but let's not forget that it also had some pretty sweet online games. I mean, sure, Dreamcast had online play first, but the PS2 definitely made up for lost time.

There were some absolute classics that you could play online with the PS2. Take SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs, for example. This game was all about squad-based combat, and the online multiplayer was intense. You had to communicate with your teammates and work together to take down the enemy. It was like playing a game of paintball, but with way more strategy and firepower.

Then there was the game that revolutionised online racing - Gran Turismo 4. With this game, you could race against other players from all over the world, and even enter into online championships. It was like having your own virtual garage and racetrack, and it was an absolute blast.

And let's not forget about the game that had us all glued to our screens for hours on end - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. This game had online multiplayer that allowed you to compete against other players in epic skateboarding competitions. It was like playing a virtual X Games, and it was seriously addictive.

Sure, maybe Resident Evil Outbreak File 1 wasn't the best example of online play on the PS2, but it was still an early attempt at bringing multiplayer gaming to the console. And let's not forget that the PS2 was still a console that was ahead of its time, with powerful hardware and an impressive library of games that set the standard for future generations of gaming.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
My reply was mostly cause I'm a grumpy fuck atm, I know there were actual online games for PS2 lol :)

Interesting to read about SOCOM, never played it myself. I still want someone who used to play SOCOM to take a stab at TLOU1 Factions MP and tell me if they're at all similar, as I've heard they are somewhat, with the team work aspect.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022

PS2 sold 135 million more units after Xbox had come out with its own DVD player built in

PS2 continued to sell 60 million more after the release of Xbox 360. Blu Ray and HD DVD were also released in 2006 and PS2 kept on selling

Having a cheap DVD player had very little to do with PS2s enormous success

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I still have my PS2. I really loved the backwards compatibility with the PS1. I understand why the did it, but was so disappointed when they removed that from the PS3. Still appreciated being able to play my PS1 discs on PS3, though.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I still have my PS2. I really loved the backwards compatibility with the PS1. I understand why the did it, but was so disappointed when they removed that from the PS3. Still appreciated being able to play my PS1 discs on PS3, though.

I'm just sad we don't get more ps2 games on ps plus premium, here in Australia we can't stream ps3 games because of our internet.

There is no way to replay the good Ratchet and Clank Games on modern hardware which sucks

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I love the PS2 but PS1 for me. By a small margin and it changes on some days lol.

Sometimes PS2, sometimes Snes, sometimes my love for Saturn and Dreamcast is too much haha

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yea, it probably was the greatest console of its generation, the best generation of all time.

And it has a worthy successor in the Switch.
The Snes or PS1 for me.

The PS1/ N64 and Saturn generation for me was amazing, its a tough choice between that gen and DC, PS2,GC and Xbox…. Uh Your probably right that was a great generation too. I owned them all, DC and PS2 I got imported, magical times lol

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023
Yeah, the DVD feature was definitely a selling point for the PS2, but let's not forget that it also had some pretty sweet online games. I mean, sure, Dreamcast had online play first, but the PS2 definitely made up for lost time.

There were some absolute classics that you could play online with the PS2. Take SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs, for example. This game was all about squad-based combat, and the online multiplayer was intense. You had to communicate with your teammates and work together to take down the enemy. It was like playing a game of paintball, but with way more strategy and firepower.

Then there was the game that revolutionised online racing - Gran Turismo 4. With this game, you could race against other players from all over the world, and even enter into online championships. It was like having your own virtual garage and racetrack, and it was an absolute blast.

And let's not forget about the game that had us all glued to our screens for hours on end - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. This game had online multiplayer that allowed you to compete against other players in epic skateboarding competitions. It was like playing a virtual X Games, and it was seriously addictive.

Sure, maybe Resident Evil Outbreak File 1 wasn't the best example of online play on the PS2, but it was still an early attempt at bringing multiplayer gaming to the console. And let's not forget that the PS2 was still a console that was ahead of its time, with powerful hardware and an impressive library of games that set the standard for future generations of gaming
DON'T FORGET MGS ONLINE