A new look at Venom in Marvel's Spider-Man 2 revealed via Entertainment

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
F1aYaXbWwAAS-md

Casting Venom for Marvel's Spider-Man 2 proved to be freakier than the character himself for Bryan Intihar, senior creative director at Insomniac Games. It was "one of the things I was avoiding for as long as possible, because I was so scared of who we were going to get to do the voice," he tells EW. Despite having spearheaded one of the most popular blockbuster video games of the past decade — the previous Spidey game of 2018 that sold 33 million copies as of June 2022 — Intihar acknowledges, "We knew it would be so anticipated and people would have a lot of opinions on it."
Enter Tony Todd, the actor of stage and screen, known for The Crow, The Rock, The Man From Earth, and, of course, for portraying the horror icon known as Candyman. While looking to cast the Venom role in the highly anticipated sequel, which brings Peter Parker (voiced by Yuri Lowenthal) and Miles Morales (Nadji Jeter) together again with Mary Jane Watson (Laura Bailey), Intihar heard a few lines of Todd's deep, growling voice in the trailer for 2021's Candyman. It just so happened that Todd had also submitted an audition tape for Marvel's Spider-Man 2.

"Everything we talked about [with] Venom — that sense of strength, that sense of fear, that sense of overwhelming, so different from Peter — Tony embraces that completely in the performance," Intihar says.
EW can exclusively reveal a new look at Venom in Marvel's Spider-Man 2, which will be available on Oct. 20 by way of the PlayStation 5 console. Before Intihar heads to San Diego Comic-Con to promote the title on the Hall H grand stage with senior narrative director Jon Paquette and senior art director Jacinda Chew, all three spoke with EW about creating a unique take on the classic villain of Marvel comics.

"It's really interesting when you start thinking about what makes him different than Spider-Man," Chew says. "The symbiote is often known as an allegory for the darkness that the host is fighting against. So what makes him an anti-Spider-Man?"

It began with the post-credits scene at the end of the first game. After players worked their way through the story of Peter Parker's battles against a Doc Ock-led Sinister Six, while guiding the young Miles as he becomes a web-slinger of his own, they found a short sequence involving Peter's bestie, Harry Osborn. Harry was absent for the events of Marvel's Spider-Man, but as Peter and MJ learn through expert sleuthing, he's been secretly undergoing an experimental medical procedure in the hopes of curing him of Oshtoran Syndrome, an illness that claimed his mother's life years earlier. The post-credits scene reveals Harry has been in a stasis chamber in a secret lab in father Norman Osborn's home, and a symbiote — the alien species — is part of this mystery procedure.

Intihar and Paquette are clear fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which popularized the use of post-credits scenes. A separate mid-credits sequence featured Miles revealing his newfound Spidey powers in front of Peter, a moment that segued directly into Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, the 2020 spin-off game centered on the fledgling hero. The Harry and symbiote scene would then serve a similar function to set the stage for Marvel's Spider-Man 2.

"We wanted to try something very different, and I don't think you can get much more different from Doc Ock than you do Venom," Intihar explains. "It's about power, it's about strength, it's about being slighted, it's about Peter being involved much more in the creation of Venom. I think that's what attracted us."

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Sounds awesome. I wonder if they're completely ditching the buddy comedy element of the Venom movies. I think everything they've shown points at Venom as a dark element corrupting Peter.

Reactions: Box

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Can’t believe thats actually a screenshot

Oh No Wow GIF by The Great British Bake Off

I’m convinced venom segments where you just go on a murdering rampage will replace MJ sections

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Dat Venom looked damn good, sadly it's no better than Venom movie version because I was expecting them to utilize PS5 power to make Venom looked as good as the movie version 😭.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Great design.
But the ingame video we saw at the show didnt look as good as the reveal trailer so I doubt it will look as good as this.
If you cant play as Venom its gonna be a missed opportunity

Reactions: kuzon

kuzon

23 Jun 2023
Great design.
But the ingame video we saw at the show didnt look as good as the reveal trailer so I doubt it will look as good as this.
If you cant play as Venom its gonna be a missed opportunity
I feel from what we saw so far, I couldn’t see any major gameplay improvements combos look reused for black suit Spider-Man.

Agreed playing as venom would be awesome

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I feel from what we saw so far, I couldn’t see any major gameplay improvements combos look reused for black suit Spider-Man.

Agreed playing as venom would be awesome

There wont be much I think. Maybe better enemy ai etc. Better side quests and story is where the game will get its biggest boost.

Tbh, I dont get the whole arguement about sequels need gameplay inovation all the time. Some of the best sequels dont have that much innovation. Just improve on what they did best