A wireless PSVR2 would be a good idea

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Much is being discussed about the PS5 Pro having WiFi 7 and the PlayStation blogpost showing the PSVR2 symbol with a battery indicator next to it (a blogpost that has since been updated and the graphic removed).

I think Sony would be wise to release a wireless PSVR2 model rather than wait for PSVR3.

We probably still have at least 4 years until PS6 comes out (2028) and PSVR3 probably won't come out until the PS6 userbase has some more size to it, so you're looking at 2029 or 2030.

I think that's too long to wait for them to release wireless. I think they may be considering a YMMV approach to wireless VR. I'm guessing that they debated including wireless with the PSVR2 (patents show that Sony have been looking at wireless VR for years) and the side that felt like it wasn't ready for prime time won, but the Quest 3 shows people are willing to accept some degradation as long as it is wireless. Wireless is now a must have not a nice to have, even if it isn't perfect.

Yes, some who bought the PSVR2 will be angry, but a more supported headset still favors them.

• Day 1 PC Support
  • Option for wired connection with detachable USB-C cable and support for the PSVR2 PC Adapter.
  • Bluetooth enabled in the headset for Bluetooth pairing with the controllers
  • Pancake lenses or Micro LED
  • Maybe a Snapdragon XR2+ rather than XR2
Ideal setup:

WiFi 7 Router + PS5 Pro (with WiFi 7) + PSVR2.1 (with WiFi 7)
WiFi 7 Router + PC + PSVR2.1

Less than ideal setup

WiFi 6 Router + PS5 + PSVR2.1

Anyways, I don't think Sony is eschewing VR even if they've had trouble with London Studio and Firesprite. It's a matter of when not if VR becomes more mainstream and I doubt Sony wants to let cede the market on this. I think you cut the price of the current model PSVR2 permanently to 300-400 to liquidate stock and then you move forward with this new model at 450-500.

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
While VR doesn't appeal/work for me (due to limitations of my right eye), WiFi seems to be a great idea so long as you can get decent battery life.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Wireless and pancake lenses would be awesome, but PSVR2 isn't going anywhere if Sony's allocation of software development resources for the platform continue to be nearly zero.

If they can't even bother doing the absolutely bare minimum that is porting Atro Bot Rescue Mission to PSVR2, then what was the point of it all?

Same thing with supporting the PC but then glossing over eye-tracking, HDR and haptic feedback. They had almost the best hardware but lack of software involvement made it a meh proposition compared to the Quest 3.

Reactions: arvfab

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
These are some issues with Wireless VR.

For optimal performance you need to set a band specific for the VR device.
Using a single band with PS5 because you have the WiFi connection or all the Dual Sense using the wireless bands... you can make it a bit better choosing to plug your PS5 wired to internet... so the band will only be to PSVR2 and Dual Senses.

Unless you set up using Wifi 6 band specifically to PSVR2.
In that case the ideal is to set Wifi 6E (6Ghz) but the Wife 6 on PS5 is only normal and runs at 5Ghz that is the same band than 5Ghz wireless signal... so the PSVR2 won't have a dedicated band to it.

If it was on PC... you could have a Wifi 6E router only set to work with the VR device but on PS5 I believe the PSVR2 will need to connect to PS5 Wifi and not an external router.

So it is not easy like people believes and using the same band as your house network will only give inconsistencies and drop in quality of the VR signal.

PS. In PC VR wireless devices the hint is to use a dedicated Wifi 6E router to the VR device or have a router which you can configure multiple bands and choose which device will use it delicately.... like using the 2.4Ghz band to internet in your house devices and the 5Ghz band only to VR device.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
meh... I would've preferred a whole new psvr2...
Pancake lenses without awful glare and with bigger sweetspot
Get rid of halo strap. It was never good and never will be. Kept sliding down my eyes.
Whatever filter is on the screen? get rid of it. ruins black levels
Make controllers last longer than 3 freaking hours

Reactions: Entropi

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Much is being discussed about the PS5 Pro having WiFi 7 and the PlayStation blogpost showing the PSVR2 symbol with a battery indicator next to it (a blogpost that has since been updated and the graphic removed).

I think Sony would be wise to release a wireless PSVR2 model rather than wait for PSVR3.

We probably still have at least 4 years until PS6 comes out (2028) and PSVR3 probably won't come out until the PS6 userbase has some more size to it, so you're looking at 2029 or 2030.

I think that's too long to wait for them to release wireless. I think they may be considering a YMMV approach to wireless VR. I'm guessing that they debated including wireless with the PSVR2 (patents show that Sony have been looking at wireless VR for years) and the side that felt like it wasn't ready for prime time won, but the Quest 3 shows people are willing to accept some degradation as long as it is wireless. Wireless is now a must have not a nice to have, even if it isn't perfect.

Yes, some who bought the PSVR2 will be angry, but a more supported headset still favors them.

• Day 1 PC Support
  • Option for wired connection with detachable USB-C cable and support for the PSVR2 PC Adapter.
  • Bluetooth enabled in the headset for Bluetooth pairing with the controllers
  • Pancake lenses or Micro LED
  • Maybe a Snapdragon XR2+ rather than XR2
Ideal setup:

WiFi 7 Router + PS5 Pro (with WiFi 7) + PSVR2.1 (with WiFi 7)
WiFi 7 Router + PC + PSVR2.1

Less than ideal setup

WiFi 6 Router + PS5 + PSVR2.1

Anyways, I don't think Sony is eschewing VR even if they've had trouble with London Studio and Firesprite. It's a matter of when not if VR becomes more mainstream and I doubt Sony wants to let cede the market on this. I think you cut the price of the current model PSVR2 permanently to 300-400 to liquidate stock and then you move forward with this new model at 450-500.
The main criticism against PSVR2 was using a cable, so I assume it will help to don't have a cable.

I have no idea regarding wifi7. What offers compared over wifi6? Specially, what benefits can it provide that could help PSVR2?

Regarding Oculus 3, its standalone games look like crap compared to PSVR2 because its hardware is basically just an Android smartphone embedded in the headset. When streamed from a (mid/high end) PC, games look way better than the native standalone ones. Specially when wired, but still are ok/better when wireless.

Edit: I did some research, wifi7 allows up to 40/46Gbps theorical speed (x4 faster than wifi6), and features 4x times amplitude modulation and doubles the spatial streams and adds multi-RU, which allows a single user use multiple channels plus also changes automatically the channels to get the best performance. On paper sounds like an excellent choice for VR or 4K streaming when being close to the console / in the same room.

image.png

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
As a PSVR2 early adopter I'd be mad as shit if they dropped PSVR2 in favor of wireless less than 2 years after release

The most I can give is a wireless adapter. Although IDK how it would work considering the wire on the VR2 headset takes some work to detach

Reactions: Entropi and arvfab
OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
As a PSVR2 early adopter I'd be mad as shit if they dropped PSVR2 in favor of wireless less than 2 years after release

The most I can give is a wireless adapter. Although IDK how it would work considering the wire on the VR2 headset takes some work to detach

I can't imagine a wireless adapter working, but that's life man.

It's not as if something would be taken away from you. If anything, you would probably see more games as a result of better adoption.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab
OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Would a wireless headset help with the lack of support for it?

A wireless adapter would need a battery pack, a wireless adapter, and USB-c video transmitter. It's not impossible but I can't see it being super viable. Would probably need to be fairly pricey.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

I think 2 years is acceptable for a refresh to an accessory.

When did Sony release the PSVR1 V2 that supported HDR passthrough and had volume controls in the headset? I think it was 2 years later as well.
I remember having to buy some special HDMI switches to avoid having to connect the whole thing to the TV every time I wanted to play with it.

Regardless, there's no way this is ever going to lift off without allocating dev resources to it.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Streaming it wirelessly would mean it would have a delay , having the hardware built in to the headset so that it could play games at the same level as the ps5 would make it far more expensive

OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Streaming it wirelessly would mean it would have a delay , having the hardware built in to the headset so that it could play games at the same level as the ps5 would make it far more expensive

Quest 3 proves the market is willing to accept wireless degradation.

It makes sense for Sony to respond to the market reality rather than double down.

I mean I could just as easily see them dropping support altogether, but I think Sony knows VR could be really big in the future and it's a bit foolish to write it off right now.