AAA games studio emptyvessel created, developing “immersive shooter” | Featuring former Naughty Dog, id software & Activision devs and more

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

emptyvessel, a new independent AAA games studio formed of veteran developers based in Austin, Texas, has announced its establishment. The studio’s founding staff has worked on iconic franchises such as DOOM, Quake, Call of Duty, The Last of Us, Borderlands, Tomb Raider, The Callisto Protocol, and more. Its first title is an Unreal Engine-5 powered title that will leverage its experience in the “immersive shooter” space.
emtpyvessel is led by CEO and game director Emanual Palalic, and chief operating officer and general manager Garrett Young, who both served in critical roles at id Software. They are joined by chief technical officer Wei Ning, art director Alex Palma, animation director Rico Flores, and others.

The studio says it is “driven by its mission to make top-quality games and its passion for taking risks to create new refreshing types of entertainment experiences,” and “aims to break from the traditional business models and work together towards a common vision of a future powered by people and creativity.”

“Many game developers like myself began our journey fueled by the dream of one day bringing our worlds to life,” said emptyvessel CEO and game director Emanuel Palalic in a press release. “By prioritizing and aligning with our strengths, we’re confident it’s possible to create AAA-quality games with smaller, focused teams. The industry has often overlooked the people who pour their hearts and souls into crafting these worlds. With emptyvessel, we’re determined to change that narrative and make that dream a reality for as many developers as we can.”

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Another dev team I hope isn't doomed to just get closed prematurely.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Former Naughty dog and Activision and id Soft could be promising!

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm gonna toot my own horn here and mention, once again, this is why acquisitions don't work.

People just leave. And will do something new.

New franchises and experiences will always be the long term lifeblood of the industry.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I'm gonna toot my own horn here and mention, once again, this is why acquisitions don't work.

People just leave. And will do something new.

New franchises and experiences will always be the long term lifeblood of the industry.

Its not that they leave but more so that their contracts end, most companies hire external contractors who only stay on until the completion of the project.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I wonder how all these new studios popping out from the layoffs are getting paid, considering the downturn of investment in anything that doesn't have "AI" in its name.