According to BioWare, Dragon Age: The Veilguard is the first entry in the series where 'the combat's actually fun'

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
tqHimdDBFdCdoXbuQW6raU-970-80.jpg.webp

It's particularly noticeable across a run of recent GameInformer interviews, as part of their really extensive exclusive look at the game. For example, speaking about the battle mechanics, Mark Darrah (consultant on the game and former executive producer on the series) says: "Previous Dragon Age games got to the realm of 'combat wasn't too bad'. In this game, the combat's actually fun."

As a longtime BioWare veteran who worked across the whole series, Darrah's more than entitled to his perspective, but hold on now. I think Origins' more old school, strategic combat was really fun, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. DA2 and Inquisition's fights were better than merely serviceable, too, and where I do think they were flawed, it was mostly in how they reached for a more action-heavy feel—exactly the style that The Veilguard is leaning into more strongly than ever, as seen in the gameplay reveal.

via PCGamer

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Origins and 2 were fun. Just waiting for this to bomb and if this puts the appalling remains of bioware to rest for good. Also port Origins and 2 to PS4/5

Reactions: laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Origins and 2 were fun. Just waiting for this to bomb and if this puts the appalling remains of bioware to rest for good. Also port Origins and 2 to PS4/5

I'd love it if they ported Origins to PS4/5. I have DA2 for PS3 and Inquisition for PS4, but sold Origins years ago. I really regret that since it's very difficult and expensive to get it now.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
They seem really desperate after the lukewarm reception to that terrible initial trailer. From 'it's a mature game because characters get naked' to now talking shit on the older (and beloved) games to elevate this new one. I was so interested in seeing how the Dreadwolf story played out, but have negative expectations for this title at this point.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I'd love it if they ported Origins to PS4/5. I have DA2 for PS3 and Inquisition for PS4, but sold Origins years ago. I really regret that since it's very difficult and expensive to get it now.
What? Its less than ten dollars.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Pricecharting doesn't have any version of DA:O for more than ten.

It's more than $10 for the currency for where I live, but thanks for the link. Prices are definitely better than where I've been looking and I might order from here in the future.

Edit: On further inspections, it's a site about video game prices. My mistake.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It's more than $10 for the currency for where I live, but thanks for the link. Prices are definitely better than where I've been looking and I might order from here in the future.

Edit: On further inspections, it's a site about video game prices. My mistake.
The prices come from ebay, just go there and they should line up with price charting prices.

2spooky5me

Veteran
12 May 2024
@laynelane

There is an Ultimate Edition of DA:O, too.
It might be cheaper in your area, than just the base game.

Reactions: laynelane

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
@laynelane

There is an Ultimate Edition of DA:O, too.
It might be cheaper in your area, than just the base game.

I am assuming he's from the UK, prices are higher there, but I saw the PS3 version going for 7 dollars plus twelve dollars shipping from Latvia, that should play in a UK Playstation. Oh well, thank goodness I live in the land of the free shipping, home of the games.