Acer announces Acer Nitro Blaze 7 (PC Handheld)

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
LMAO, how long until this oversaturated marked collapses? Everyone and their mother is making a "portable" device now.
X86 mobile cpu's are making it very easy for manufacturers. Console makers purposely stayed away from X86 cpu's for decades because they knew they'd have more competition from other manufacturers and here we are.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
another one that will play PlayStation games, can't wait til Acer, Lenovo and Asus start building cheap pre-built PCs with the SteamOS in it working as a console

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
another one that will play PlayStation games, can't wait til Acer, Lenovo and Asus start building cheap pre-built PCs with the SteamOS in it working as a console

south park beat a dead horse GIF

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
LMAO, how long until this oversaturated marked collapses? Everyone and their mother is making a "portable" device now.
I think thats how MS and Valve are gonna operate. They will let others also makes devices that play there platform/games

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Going with Hawk Point for late 2024 when everyone is probably on the verge of updating their handhelds to Strix Point, Kraken or even Lunar Lake doesn't seem like the brightest idea. 16GB RAM is also a problem if you're running windows, and that was easily avoidable as well.

This seems like a me too device like the MSI Claw, though it seems the latter will be getting a much better 2nd iteration with Lunar Lake and an 8" screen.

I guess these OEMs probably need to launch one first product as a pipe cleaner, even if it's bound to fail for some reason.

Do you also want OEMs to stop making gaming laptops because that market is getting saturated?
What about OLED gaming monitors? Gaming mice? Gaming Headphones?

How many players do you think is fine? Four? Why is more not better for a consumer?

Reactions: arvfab

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Sorry but the same pc crowd that talks about frame rates and gfx wont buy these lame handhelds that run on low-med settings. Unless there is a revolution in SoC and battery tech these are going to remain niche

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Nah, for Sony a real standalone device like these would become a 3rd pillar controller option/alternate accessorry alongside the slim mid-gen revisison.

Sony should have a real one, as should MS. People will flock to the brand names there and Steam Deck. ASUS/Acer's pc pedigree might get them more sales against each other for the scraps but once Sony gets a clue they can largely supplant them with their own marketshare.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Nah, for Sony a real standalone device like these would become a 3rd pillar controller option/alternate accessorry alongside the slim mid-gen revisison.

Sony should have a real one, as should MS. People will flock to the brand names there and Steam Deck. ASUS/Acer's pc pedigree might get them more sales against each other for the scraps but once Sony gets a clue they can largely supplant them with their own marketshare.

Sony won't repeat the same mistake they did for the Vita and PSVR1/2. I doubt they'll ever create a platform that requires specific allocation of game dev resources to thrive.

If Sony does make another portable Playstation within the next decade, it'll either be an integral part of the PS6 (i.e. a hybrid with a dGPU dock) or a system that runs PS5 game code natively.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
These manufacturers are trying to get a piece of the pie before steam deck 2 releases. If valve were to up their distribution game, they could dominate even more.

But valve seems happy selling the deck to a reduced audience.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
These manufacturers are trying to get a piece of the pie before steam deck 2 releases. If valve were to up their distribution game, they could dominate even more.

But valve seems happy selling the deck to a reduced audience.

I think both Valve and MS are gonna be happy with 3rd party manufacturers making there box/portables for them. All Money still comes to them via software